MC7200 questions

yea, please digress....I like hearing the thoughts on all the different McIntosh stuff.......Very interesting about your personal thoughts on the Mc30's
. The rig consisted of MC30's, MX110z, very early AR3a's and a stunning Linn LP12 / Ittok LV....spooky....simply the best combo I've ever heard...

MkVI, listening to it now, sounds clean, but just not super exciting...I think it's strayed too far from its roots, got more of a solid state accuracy to it without the grunt of a big SS amp...thinking the C2200 may be better matched to some heavy metal...

Last edited:
Have you ever tried the MC30's with the C2200? The C2200/C2300/C2500 are on my want list(just one of them, not all three).....So much so that I listed my 74 Toyota FJ40 sale 2 days ago in hopes of getting a nice preamp to go with the MC30's

No, I wish! I reckon the C2200 is the tubiest of hem all, the others having solid state buffers apparently...post a link to your FJ40!! I'd love to see it!

To be honest, I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that one amp sounds very much like another and another and another. Hence the recent sale of my MC275. Not sure what I'll replace it with yet...The MC7200 didn't leave much of an impression on me, I moved rapidly onto a pair of MC252's which I thought were stunning amps to look at and listen too...gotta say the best I've heard so far were the MC30's I had paired with an MX110z....hmmmm....

I'm curious, if you are rapidly coming to the conclusion that one amp sounds very similar to another, then why did the MC7200 not leave much of an impression while the MC252 managed to be stunning to listen to?

Good point and again this is a recent realization, back then I'd put it down to phsycoacoutics, grandeur and perceived cost/value...all of which are misguided to varying degrees...

As a recent example, I decided to upgrade my $500 schiit dac to the top of the line $2k version that everyone had been raving about and ended up selling it and getting their $179 version. Damned if I can notice any real major difference between them. I'm 40, have good hearing and have a reasonably resolving system...I suppose the question is at what point have we hit the physical limits of human hearing and associated perception and transition into the more ethereal realms of pride of ownership etc...And how these psychological factors affect our perception of the quality of particular components.

Last edited:
The best way to convince yourself that DB is onto something is to subject yourself to an A/B/X listening session. Of course, the results can be contradictory to 99% of all printed information in the history of the audio biz.

Your explanation actually makes a lot of sense. When seated before and listening to a gorgeous and expensive component, it's very easy for our psyche to become convinced it sounds better.
5 years ago when I first bought a mint MC202 to replace my un-restored early 70's Phase Linear 400, I was expecting a leap forward in sound from that beautiful McIntosh amp and its 30 year newer tech. Upon my first listen I was surprised to hear very little difference. In fact initially I wasn't sure I heard any difference at all. After a while I felt sure I was hearing a smoother, more refined sound. To some extent I probably was, given the very old circuitry in the PL400, but no doubt I was wanting to hear a difference. yeah it was better alright; that's what I kept telling myself.

A/B testing is the way to go (preferably blind) if you can. I've been A/B comparing a fair few different components over the last few years with a friend. It's easier with source components (DAC's, turntables, etc) because with a press of a button on the preamp you can change the input.

There are things that do affect the sound of an amplifier in a given audio system. However, you'll not find those parameters defined in the manufacturer's provided specifications.

Back
Top Bottom