Mc7270

Johncan

Record collector
What are people's impressions of the McIntosh MC-7270?

How might be it be better than my current amp, B&K ST-140, at driving Polk Monitor 7s?

Thanks!

John

Out of curiosity, have you tried to arrange an audition with Gordon? He's a real nice guy, I am sure he would accomodate you.

Carl

I am going tomorrow to check it out and possibly buy it. I don't know if Gordon will be there or not. It is not at the store he works at. I am sort of nervous about buying it as I am not sure if I really need it. I really like my B&K ST-140, but I have always wanted a McIntosh amp. I also am thinking it may be overkill or too much for my Polks. I won't be able to make any big purchases for a while after I buy the McIntosh so upgrading my speakers (if necessary) won't happen for a while. BTW, my preamp is a McIntosh 32.

John

I did a search to see what your speakers are. If they are they are like the ones I found, I would take at least 1 with me to hear it. It may well be too much amp for them. Proof is in the pudding as they say. Maybe RuSsMaN will chime in, he is a Polk guy.

Carl

Carl and others,

Here are the specs on my speakers - Polk Audio Monitor 7

Electrical:
Overall Frequency Response 25Hz - 25kHz
Lower -3dB Limit 40Hz
Upper -3dB Limit 23kHz
Nominal Impedance 8 ohms
Recommended Amplifier Power 20-150 w/channel
Efficiency 89 dB

Driver Complement:
Subwoofer 1 - 10" Diameter (25.40cm) sub bass radiator
Midrange 1 - 6-1/2" Diameter (16.51cm) drivers
Tweeter 1 - 1" Diameter (2.54cm) Polk SL2500 dome tweeter

Thanks!

John

At least to my tastes - it may not be too much, . At 89db I usually notice that extra power/headroom is usually noticeable. I looked at a'gon, there are 2 up, 1@1395, 1@3,000. Completed ebays 1125. and 1311. so the price certainly is very right. :) I strongly suggest taking at least one speaker with you and see how it does things. Good Luck!

Carl

I'm not familar with the Mc in question, what kind of power are we talking here? As far as the B&K goes, it really doesn't get substantially better, at any price for the power / headroom.

Cheers,
Russ

McIntosh 7270 solid state stereo power amp

Rated power: 270W (both channels driven) into 1-8 ohms

As far as the B&K goes, it really doesn't get substantially better, at any price for the power / headroom.
That is why I have been very hestitant to pull the trigger on the McIntosh purchase. The McIntosh is much more sexy and expensive, but the B&K ST-140 has great bang for the buck.

John

Last edited:
I'm the very happy owner of an MC7270. Go for it! IMHO, this amp sounds good at low output levels, as well as with the meters bouncing around 'way up the scale. I have had mine for almost 5 years and have no inclination to move on to anything else.
It runs cool, looks hot, and takes upgraditis to another level if you're crazy enough to go for something 'better'.

I have been eyeing it also....I wonder if its sounds better than the tube hybrid class A Lazarus (50 w/ch)....i have been tempted to sell to finance the Mc...as I am local to the amp as well...

Back
Top Bottom