MC754 impressions?

WhiteSE

Is Lute Gluten Free??
Subscriber
I know this has been talked about before...But i want to get some opinions of those in the "know" regarding the amp..

It has more power and damping is higher than the autoformer models...they seem to come to market less frequently...they are newer models, and as I read, McIntosh had improved its SS stuff by the later generations...

So whassup with this amp?

e7_1.JPG

The 754 was a neat amp. Easily as nice sounding as any other SS otl amp of the day with very good sound BUT, it did not have the sound of the transformer output amps which carried on the McIntosh flag and was not accepted by the McIntosh community well and since it was handled by Mc dealers, not well promoted as a competitor to other ss amps but, treated like an orphan. Today, as you said, they are rare since there were few sold. If you find one like ss but are not entralled by the signature Mc sound, this IS an amp to seriously consider. All the quality of a Mc with a more "mainstrean" music interpretation.

Originally posted by Brian
All the quality of a Mc with a more "mainstrean" music interpretation.

That is interesting to see....I have a few days to think....I would like to do an A/B with the MC250 and or my ChiroC200....

MC754 impressions..

I picked up a 754 initially because I thought it was a bit of a curiosity for a Mc. with no autoformers. The higher damping factor interested me as my speakers have 12" woofers.T he distortion specs are also very good. I picked it up off E-bay for about the same price as one of my 250's. I was quite impressed with the resolution of the 754 although it wasn't hugely better than the 250's. I was surprised that the added damping didn't seem to be such a big difference compared to the 250's. It really doesn't have as distinctive a character as the traditional autoformer amps but I find the differences quite minor. Probably says more about how good the 250's are than anything else. I think its as good as any non Mc. solid state amp I've heard and if you can find them they are a tremendous value.

Regrdz
Bill

There seems to be some consensus in the engineering community that a DF greater than about 10-15 will not produce any difference. I personally am not agreeing or disagreeing but have no found a situation where an amp with a DF in that range was in a disavantage. Usually something else was at issue.

Back
Top Bottom