McCartney's RAM remastered

Naptown Rob

Ponographer
OK - many people will disagree with me on this (I'm used to that), but as far as I'm concerned, Paul only made 2 great albums after The Beatles: McCartney, and RAM. I always found Wings to be a horrible disappointment.
The remastered RAM will be in stores Tuesday in 42 varieties of packaging, from basic to Double Ultra Supremo Deluxe.
I've had the luxury of spending some time over the past week with the album & the bonus audio disc & thought I'd share some quick thoughts.
The same team that remastered the Beatles catalog did a great job on RAM. I haven't heard it on vinyl yet but the CDs sound great.
But perhaps the thing I'm most pleased about is that this reissue has given me the opportunity to get reacquainted with an album I loved when it was new.
I think I might just play the whole damned thing on my show tomorrow night!

I wound have to say Wings live would make 3.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0230.jpg
    IMG_0230.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0232.jpg
    IMG_0232.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0231.jpg
    IMG_0231.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
OK - many people will disagree with me on this (I'm used to that), but as far as I'm concerned, Paul only made 2 great albums after The Beatles: McCartney, and RAM.

:thmbsp:

Uncle Albert has been totally overplayed and IMO is one of the weaker songs on an album that is strong all the way through. Monkberry Moon Delilight rocks!

We will have to agree to disagree on Wings as they did put out some good stuff. I have to play Mull of Kintyre about once a month.

I agree that "Ram" might be PMcC's best solo...although I do enjoy one of his more obscure discs..."Press To Play".

Ram and Band on the Run are my 2 faves. One thing is for sure: he needs to stop performing old material. His voice is shot, and he embarassed himself on SNL earlier this year.

Ram and Band on the Run are my 2 faves. One thing is for sure: he needs to stop performing old material. His voice is shot, and he embarassed himself on SNL earlier this year.

Maybe he struggles in a more intimate setting but in a large venue he still pounds it out. He absolutely tore up Wrigley Field in Chicago last summer.

I have the mono vinyl as well as the remastered vinyl with bonus material on pre-order. Ram is one of those albums that I played so much that I wore it out. It will be great to hear this album again in a "new" condition. never heard the mono version, so I am really pumped to be getting my hands on that one.

OK - many people will disagree with me on this (I'm used to that), but as far as I'm concerned, Paul only made 2 great albums after The Beatles: McCartney, and RAM. I always found Wings to be a horrible disappointment.
The remastered RAM will be in stores Tuesday in 42 varieties of packaging, from basic to Double Ultra Supremo Deluxe.
I've had the luxury of spending some time over the past week with the album & the bonus audio disc & thought I'd share some quick thoughts.
The same team that remastered the Beatles catalog did a great job on RAM. I haven't heard it on vinyl yet but the CDs sound great.
But perhaps the thing I'm most pleased about is that this reissue has given me the opportunity to get reacquainted with an album I loved when it was new.
I think I might just play the whole damned thing on my show tomorrow night!

I picked up a promo copy a week or so ago(from a friend on the inside), didnt watch the dvd but listened to the album. Sounds decent enough, well remastered. The mono vinyl release sounds awesome. If your a fan you will love it although I dont like the"archive" border strip on the cover(they all have it). lame, and the liner notes are a bit lacking.

Good stuff, but in the end it still has nothing on "All things"

Anyone know what it really is (digital cut to vinyl)? Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'd just like to know. I couldn't tell from Hear Music's site.

Saw him in KC in 2010 and it was amazing. SNL is famous for crappy sounding musical performances. It's more surprising when someone sounds good.

I heard a stream of Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey remastered; it sounded good, but that was just a stream on (nice) computer speakers. I'm getting the CD remaster, ostensibly for my mother but in actuality for me to rip. Especially the second disc, which has a few remasters from the old Cold Cuts bootleg that I'd love to have digitally.

Anyone know what it really is (digital cut to vinyl)? Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'd just like to know. I couldn't tell from Hear Music's site.

I doubt if the mono mix was digitized as it's only release will be in a limited edition vinyl form. At least, that's how I understand it.

I doubt if the mono mix was digitized as it's only release will be in a limited edition vinyl form. At least, that's how I understand it.

The mono release was both analog on the vinyl(touted as " formerly only avail
to AM Radio stations") as well as a digital release on the RAM box set as an extra cd..

Just got the mono vinyl in the mail. Sounds great! But it came in a plain white jacket (like a bootleg lp) with no track listings on the label. Is that how its supposed to be?

Just got the mono vinyl in the mail. Sounds great! But it came in a plain white jacket (like a bootleg lp) with no track listings on the label. Is that how its supposed to be?

That's how it was sent to stations way back when. The track listing is on a card inside the jacket.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• mac3.jpg
    mac3.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 56
  • mac4.jpg
    mac4.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 56
the album had a separate mono mix and pressing done specifically to be distributed to AM rock stations (which broadcast in mono). This was done because when some stereo recordings are "folded down" to mono for broadcast there can be issues with phase that can attenuate or eliminate sound. This apparently was the case with this recording.

Ram is an oddity because it was never released commercially in mono until now even though that mix existed and was made with great care.

it sounds great by the way! :music:

Back
Top Bottom