McIntosh 132-081 Transistor

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by arts, Sep 7, 2015.

1. arts

arts Super Member

Does any body know what the replacement is for this part number?
    My Mac Semiconductor Data folder has no generic listed. The folder is pretty out of date;1975. I really want to get this job finished!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. clinic-audio

clinic-audio all on YAMAHA untill 1990

Hello arts !

I have all semiconductors data folder and none give this information ...Can't you order some from the factory ?

3. arts

arts Super Member

I sent them an e-mail inquiry,but I think it is also a holiday in the States today.
    I was just hoping somebody knew,as I have lot's of types in this package style in stock. This one seems to be a real mystery,there's nothing on the net.

4. mpholland

mpholland R.I.P. Michael Sheppard Subscriber

Unless things have changed in the last couple of years, no one I know of has been able to find a sub for this yet. It was currently available from Mac as recently as 2012 IIRC, so you may just have to wait for them to respond to you.

5. c_dk

c_dk Addicted Member

None of the data sheets list the part numbers for 132/079,80,and 81.

By sharing info when purchasing parts from Mac we colectively have found the correct parts for 079 and 080. I guess it is your turn.

6. arts

arts Super Member

When I get a reply from McIntosh I'll be sure to post it here.

Quite frankly,this circuit (Mac 1900 output board)appears to be an evolution of the board in my MC-2100,the difference being mostly later-model semi's; The RCA 409/410 being replaced with 2N4920/23, and the TO-66 2N3738 being replaced by whatever a 132-081 may be. Should be easy enough,if necessary, to just cross reference those specs to something in a TO-126 package.
    So much for using the holiday to clear some backlog.

7. arts

arts Super Member

Well,I received a reply from McIntosh today. They claim no knowledge of the part type #'s,but say they have the original ''house numbered'' items in stock.
    I'm now waiting on pricing.

8. EastPoint

EastPoint Factory Code No. 4200 Subscriber

Hi folks. I am in need of a 132-081 transistor. Googling it brings up this site. Is this the possible correct replacement? Arts, did you ever have any luck?

9. clinic-audio

132-081 NTE has nothing regarding 132-081 Mc Intosh original part number
    Why you don't buy them from factory ?
    Mystery ...

10. EastPoint

I called McIntosh about it and left a voicemail. Hopefully I'll hear back.

11. EastPoint

McIntosh does not have one, nor do they have any suggestions.

12. EastPoint

And Audio Classics comes to the rescue!

13. clinic-audio

good !

UncleBingo likes this.
  14. UncleBingo

UncleBingo AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have here McIntosh part # 13208100 ordered from McIntosh- I have it labeled MA-6100 Pwr amp sub for Motorola 80. The part is labeled: M916 JE340
    Does that sound like what you're looking for?

It comes up as: http://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/MJE340-D.PDF

This jumped at me while I was looking for another transistor. I ALWAYS leave these in the packaging directly from McIntosh specifically because navigating factory part numbers against obsolete subs and then trying to cross-reference to a new part leaves too many possibilities for transcription error. If anyone wishes to confirm this (or "de-confirm, if you will) that would be helpful.

nj pheonix likes this.
  15. c_dk

c_dk Addicted Member

A MJE340 certainly falls within, exceeds, the data of a 132-081. Make sure the pin out or legs match the original part.....tough to bend the legs around with it attached to a heatsink.

I am stunned that Mac parts does not have a shipable repacement that has been approved by engineering.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    UncleBingo likes this.
  16. kevzep

kevzep Its all about the Music Subscriber

I dont use those MJE340/350 for anything, they are a very generic transistor with no published ft rating, the gain can vary widely over the same batch......
    There are so many other transistors which could be more suitable, but if Mcintosh are suggesting it, well the specs cant be that important for that application.......

17. c_dk

c_dk Addicted Member

I do not have any first hand experience with what the sub is. Like I said I can not believe they no longer have a replacement part. I did find a old Motorola recommended design chart that does show the MJE340 as a recommneded VSA transistor but not as a driver.......

The early 80s Mac data sheet does show the 081 as in limited supply even then and having a minimum Hfe of 60 and a IcIdss of 50mA. 90 volt Vceo and 30m watt dissipation. No commercial number or sub.

Proceed at your own risk......

18. KeyserSozee

KeyserSozee New Member

I inquired on March 30th, 2018 about part # 132-081, and Gail (from McIntosh Service/Parts) responded saying she had some, so I asked her to send me two ....but then I backed out after not actually needing that specific part. Also with them being $20each, and me being in Canada, made these well over $70CAD shipped (for two) ...so I passed.

I guess someone cleaned McIntosh out since then?
    Damn, I should have grabbed a pair for future insurance

I replaced 132-079 (with 2N4920) and 132-080 (with 2N4923) made by NTE. I bought a handful of each and had no problems whatsoever matching up a few out of a small pile. They were actually fairly close to each other.

Maybe this will force someone to find a suitable replacement for these transistors (132-081), it seems like it’s been on a few people’s to-do lists for a while.

Good luck!