Mcintosh 1900

Yuaaaaaaaaan

Good evening AKers,

I am new to the game and just joined AK. I have two naive questions andI do not have engineer background.
I recently bought a 1900 receiver, it works pretty well except a few bulbs are out. The seller said it has not been serviced. Should I get it serviced or restored even it is working?

Also, after some online research it seems the volume/power switch is prone to failure, and people suggest to use a power surge to turn on/off the unit, is this the correct move? Will this do more harm to the unit than using the switch?

Thank you very much.

Welcome to AK.

I had mine restored.

No problem using a power strip for on / off, that's what I do to prevent further wear.

I assume your DAC is plugged into either the tape 1 or tape 2 input (no other choice with this receiver) so to avoid crosstalk (audible in the background) from the FM tuner, use the rotary source switch, not the tape monitor button, to select your DAC source.

hey there, i too am in N. Va and have a 1900. I use the power strip as well.

Brett from HiFi Heaven in Falls Church is the go to repairs. He did an overhaul on my 1900 awhile back. Fixed multiplex issue, lights, couple of caps. Good luck and enjoy!

Replacement is possible but it will not be cheap .
You suggestion is a very good idea and really cheap but don't forget to compare the total power consomption regarding the switch capabilities

Back
Top Bottom