McIntosh 4100 speaker recommendations please

Good or bad, McIntosh speakers,whether the dimminitive ML10 or the XRT290, always have provided bass, deep, low distortion, sometimes excessive, but they made bass.

This has always posed a challenge for the McIntosh system designer and the Mac owner in selecting a turntable. Many popular mainstream turntable do not work well with McIntosh speaker systems because the turntables do not have enough isolation from the bass shaking the room.

There is a ongoing thread where the owner is experiencing the negative effects of a turntable not up to the task of isolating the record from the speakers response.

I have always been partial to a floating sub chassis suspension like in the designs from SOTA, Thorens, and Revox as well as a dozen others that do a good job achieving isolation.

Yes there are some turntables that combine mass and big rubber feet that do a decent job of achieving this isolation but there are many popular designs that do a miserable job at acheiving this isolation.

The mentioned Rotel I would expect to be in the later category, and I was a Rotel dealer at one time.

Just picked up some JBL L96 speakers to compliment my system...I am now fully aware of the 'bass' issue you are referring to (both now and previously) regarding the Mac speakers, and am still searching for an MQ to help with this.

Last edited:
The McIntosh MQxxx equalizers were designed to be used with Mac speakers, to use them with other speaker brands demands caution and could cause you to easily damage them.

The Mac speakers have no bass issue, they were designed to be used with the MQ equalizers, poorly designed turntables have bass issues and therefore should be avoided.

The McIntosh MQxxx equalizers were designed to be used with Mac speakers, to use them with other speaker brands demands caution and could cause you to easily damage them.

The Mac speakers have no bass issue, they were designed to be used with the MQ equalizers, poorly designed turntables have bass issues and therefore should be avoided.

I would be using the MQ with Mac XR14 speakers

The MQxxx goes between the preamp and power amp sections of the receiver so it will affect all speakers hooked up to the amp. Typically if the client was using the MAC4100 to run multiple speaker sets in other rooms we would not install a MQxxx.

The MQxxx goes between the preamp and power amp sections of the receiver so it will affect all speakers hooked up to the amp. Typically if the client was using the MAC4100 to run multiple speaker sets in other rooms we would not install a MQxxx.

10-4, I knew that from your previos communication but (obviously) forgot...hmm, a little dilemma i have created i see...:(

Polk Monitor 5, 7, or 10b.

B&W DM anything.

Altec Model 14.

Klipsch Heresy / Heresy II.

All are common enough on the used market.

Agreed highly with this post. B&W DM series also are nice in smaller spaces, the DM 101 I briefly got to hear with my MA 5100 sounded great on the one which didn't have a bad tweeter (If I find a pair fully working, I plan on getting them)

So I picked up a "lot" of records, and with it a 'free Rotel RP-2500 turntable'. It came with a Pickering XV-15/625e installed (the previous owner claims has about 50 hours use), can anyone weigh in on the level of this cartridge please? Thank you again all...:biggrin:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom