McIntosh 9,300uF filter capacitors

Hi Fi and I

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Trying to see if it is possible to address a common filter cap of 9,300uf that was used in MC2505, MC250, MC2120, MC2125 amps back in the day.
They range between 9,300 - 10,000uf (max 60V).
10,000uF would be a good replacement.

Also does anyone know where to find such cap?
I checked mouser and arrow but could not locate a 28mm terminal lead space.
Thanks

Yep, $100 each.
Wow! $400 to recap a 2120 or 2125. It must be an odd size since 2200/2205 replacement caps are way less than half that.

I can't locate my last invoice for 2125 caps from McIntosh but I believe the 2120/2125 caps are around $40-60 each. I searched quite a bit back in 2015 and was unable to find anybody who stocks a suitable replacement. The size is just not that common anymore.

The last batch I ordered from McIntosh in late 2017 were from a different batch than a set I ordered around 2015, and I believe the newest set had "McIntosh" and the P/N printed on the blue sleeve. This would indicate that they are likely ordering these to their size/spacing/insulator spec.

Last edited:
yeah I don't think it are that expensive, I remember it was like $100 a pair of big 39000uf. Getting them thru the dealer and all that, on the other hand was slooooooooow.
United chemicon, kemet, epcos has sizes that fit and they work great. Nothing than a caliper and a little bit of patience can't figure it out.
Even the OP must had figure it out to sell kits on the bidding site.

It is odd size so beat it. There is a seller on the auction bay that selling the whole MC2505 kit that include the 2 big caps for $199.00 but you need to build the multi-section cap and the other can cap next to it.

I can't tell from the picture. Does this Kemet cap have raised lugs with a plastic spacer?

The terminals do not look insulated!
Am I correct?
Should not they be insulated to be installed in McIntosh units?
Thanks!

The terminals do not look insulated!
Am I correct?
Should not they be insulated to be installed in McIntosh units?
Thanks!
The insulated spacers nestle into the holes in the chassis and position the capacitor correctly. Filter caps for the 2120/2200 series must have insulated, raised mounting studs.

The insulated spacers nestle into the holes in the chassis and position the capacitor correctly. Filter caps for the 2120/2200 series must have insulated, raised mounting studs.

Does anyone have a pic of one of these filter caps with insulated raised mounting studs?

Also, the spacing is verified to be 28mm for MC 2120? I had mine open and did a quick measurement and got 22mm, but I could be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom