McIntosh advice please...MAC 4100 C 28 NR 80

tk1769

Hello AK members!

This is one of my my first posts within this forum, I have enjoyed many (many, maybe too many) previous posts and gained invaluable knowledge regarding vintage gear...thank you for your wonderful wealth of knowledge!

On to my question, I have recently acquired some very nice McIntosh gear including; a MAC 4100 receiver, a C 28 preamplifier, and an MR 80 tuner.

My questions is, and this is going to be very subjective to personal opinions, if you were given this same three pieces would you;

A: flip the 4100 to get a stereo amp to match the 28 & 80?
B: flip both the 80 & 4100 to get a 'better' amp to match the 28 (as i rarely use a tuner)?
C: would a tube amp be a big upgrade to, say, a 2255?

Obviously. there is no 'perfect answer' (or if there is, PLEASE share! ;) )...I like the idea of the pieces matching aesthetically, but am also just as concerned (if not more so) about the sound quality.

Thank you in advance for the advice, I am looking forward to any and all opinions! :)

Last edited:
I personally like tube amps, but I run very efficient Klipsch speakers. I've had a couple of Mac solid state amps as well. I really liked the MC7270 I had. I don't think there is much of a bad choice in Mac amps....It might be easier to figure out what type of speakers you want first and then match the amp power accordingly.

Hmmm ...

You have:
(2) pre amplifiers
(2) tuners
(1) amplifier

Why not get your feet wet with the MAC4100? Hook up a CD player, turntable, and speakers to it and GO.

You can always revisit the upgrade path after you've acclimated yourself with the MAC4100 - a very capable receiver.

Hmmm ...

You have:
(2) pre amplifiers
(2) tuners
(1) amplifier

Why not get your feet wet with the MAC4100? Hook up a CD player, turntable, and speakers to it and GO.

You can always revisit the upgrade path after you've acclimated yourself with the MAC4100 - a very capable receiver.

Very well said, thank you...yes, I will be spending some time with the 4100 to get to know her, seems like everyone likes these units a lot...the simplicity definitely intrigues me.

FYI my last set-up was all Luxman; m4000a amp, c-120a pre, t-450 tuner... honestly I do not know what to expect in comparison to the McIntosh gear.

If money were no object, but unfortunately it is, I would pick up a power amp to match the C 28/MR 80 tuner so I could A/B the two units side-by-side...but that isn't within my realm :)

Thank you again for your insightful response!

Last edited:
Flipping makes me think of stealing from widows and bragging about it......

If you choose to restore the units to their best performance:

The MR80 will need the most specialized expensive time and equipment. It was and could be again state of the art in FM analog reception but that is a diminishing market. 6-7 hours of RF tech time with FM test equipment is expensive time in any market.

The C28 was a excellent preamp which has some expensive to repair issues with grounding and a expensive volume control from Mac parts. A great project unit it will need 6 hours of tech time to properly restore.

The MAC4100s preamp is superior to the C28 (very much a C32), has a tuner within shouting distance of the MR80, and has a Power Guarded 75 watt amp that will drive just about any speaker. They do definately need power supply work and I routinely recap the whole unit. Have done a number of recapped and stock A/B comparisons and all have ended up being recapped. Maybe the best value in Mac ever, let alone when new in 1978, I think it still is today once restored.

Flipping makes me think of stealing from widows and bragging about it......

If you choose to restore the units to their best performance:

The MR80 will need the most specialized expensive time and equipment. It was and could be again state of the art in FM analog reception but that is a diminishing market. 6-7 hours of RF tech time with FM test equipment is expensive time in any market.

The C28 was a excellent preamp which has some expensive to repair issues with grounding and a expensive volume control from Mac parts. A great project unit it will need 6 hours of tech time to properly restore.

The MAC4100s preamp is superior to the C28 (very much a C32), has a tuner within shouting distance of the MR80, and has a Power Guarded 75 watt amp that will drive just about any speaker. They do definately need power supply work and I routinely recap the whole unit. Have done a number of recapped and stock A/B comparisons and all have ended up being recapped. Maybe the best value in Mac ever, let alone when new in 1978, I think it still is today once restored.

Excellent advice, thank you!

One of my biggest unknowns was 'what preamp does the 4100 have?', if it's more like a 32, then I do not know why I would try to build a system around the c28...and as I mentioned previously I never use a tuner so the mr80 would barely ever, if ever, be utilized.

Thank you again!

If money were no object, but unfortunately it is, I would pick up a power amp to match the C 28/MR 80 tuner so I could A/B the two units side-by-side...but that isn't within my realm :)

The MAC4100 has preamp/main amp jacks enabling you to use the unit's amplifier section with the separate units, if you wish. Other than the power switch, the MAC's front panel controls would have no effect since you would be utilizing the main amplifier section only.

Incidentally, the MAC4100 has special [green] outlets labeled "Turntable" which have a current draw sensing circuit. Plugging the A/C cord of the C28 into one of the GREEN outlets, the 4100 will be switched on automatically when the C28 is turned on without the need of manually switching on the MAC.

I believe the 4100's main amplifier section is based on the MC752 power amplifier and is rated for 75 & 100 wpc into 8 and 4 ohms respectively and can drive speaker impedances as low as 2 ohm.

As C_dk mentioned, the C28 is now approaching 40 years old and it's multitude of pots and controls increase the likelihood of needing service, above and beyond the normal issues like caps/ PS rebuilding etc, however when working up to snuff, it gets high marks.

Congratulations on your newly acquired McIntosh equipment. All are well regarded units.

Very well said, thank you...yes, I will be spending some time with the 4100 to get to know her, seems like everyone likes these units a lot...the simplicity definitely intrigues me.

FYI my last set-up was all Luxman; m4000a amp, c-120a pre, t-450 tuner... honestly I do not know what to expect in comparison to the McIntosh gear.

Thank you again for your insightful response!
Like other's have said....What you keep will need a Restore...Looking forward in your Journey here.

For the comparison on the Luxman M-4000..You have a Very Special Amp and look forward on what your Ears say. (I have M-2000/C02...BTW...Completely Recapped) and will not give this up
to which I had a 4100 (Recapped by Terry D) which was unloaded to fund other gear.

Like other's have said....What you keep will need a Restore...Looking forward in your Journey here.

For the comparison on the Luxman M-4000..You have a Very Special Amp and look forward on what your Ears say. (I have M-2000/C02...BTW...Completely Recapped) and will not give this up
to which I had a 4100 (Recapped by Terry D) which was unloaded to fund other gear.

yeah, i'm kicking myself for getting rid of that luxman... :(

Back
Top Bottom