McIntosh and Spotify Setup Recommendation

ThroneOfLies

I want to stream my Spotify through my C47 using the highest quality available. Unfortunately the PS4 doesn't allow for the "Extreme" setting.

I did some research on here and other forums. Looks like Sonos Connect (already have a Sonos system in my bedroom so maybe a good option) and Bluesound Node 2 are the most popular options.

Any recommendations or experiences before I make my purchase?

Thanks in advance!

I want to stream my Spotify through my C47 using the highest quality available. Unfortunately the PS4 doesn't allow for the "Extreme" setting.

I did some research on here and other forums. Looks like Sonos Connect (already have a Sonos system in my bedroom so maybe a good option) and Bluesound Node 2 are the most popular options.

Any recommendations or experiences before I make my purchase?

Thanks in advance!
I used a Audioengine B1 to stream it to the C47. It has analog and digital outputs. I used the optical out into the C47, streami ng by Bluetooth from my tablet. Sounds great.

I used a Audioengine B1 to stream it to the C47. It has analog and digital outputs. I used the optical out into the C47, streami ng by Bluetooth from my tablet. Sounds great.
So it looks like the audio is sent to the B1 via Bluetooth. Then pushed to the C47 via optical. Have you done a comparison to a direct connect unit to see if you lose any sound quality from the Bluetooth transfer vs a unit that is connected via Ethernet.

I'm not a sound expert, so I'm not sure if Bluetooth would degrade the sound quality.

I'll give a vote to the Bluesound Node 2. I've enjoyed it very much for the last year in my system.

Oh yeah... I have a premium account. So I get the "Extreme" 320kbps.

Using the optical digital input on my C47 from the Node 2 and using Spotify Premium equals excellent sound quality. The Node 2 DAC is no slouch either using the analog inputs on the C47.

Using the optical digital input on my C47 from the Node 2 and using Spotify Premium equals excellent sound quality. The Node 2 DAC is no slouch either using the analog inputs on the C47.
Thx for the reply. That sounds like what I'm going to do. I'll just use optical to C47 like you said and rely on the C47 DAC. May as well use it since I paid for it!

I'll be picking one up Friday and will update then. I'm going to compare the Spotify sound from the Node vs from my PS4 as well just for the hell of it.

Thx for the reply. That sounds like what I'm going to do. I'll just use optical to C47 like you said and rely on the C47 DAC. May as well use it since I paid for it!

I'll be picking one up Friday and will update then. I'm going to compare the Spotify sound from the Node vs from my PS4 as well just for the hell of it.

It'll be good to hear your opinions after you compare.

So an update on my setup from my other post for 2.1 setup. I hooked up the C47 to the MC302 using the Balanced Output 1. I then used the Unbalanced Output 1 to the sub. Works like a charm. Gives me just enough low bass to fill in the gaps my BWs put out... for movies and music.

Now to the Spotify on PS4 vs Node 2. I had PS4 on input 1 and Node on input 2....

Very significant sound quality difference. The Node was far superior in quality. Now I don't pretend to be an audiophile expert by any means (which is why Spotify is my main source of music). But I could tell a huge difference switching back and forth between the two inputs listening to 15-30 seconds of multiple songs. The highs were clearer and crisper. The lows were more present. There was less "noise" in the music. That's the best way I can describe it.

Now thinking this may be a placebo effect, I had my fiancé help. She listened to each song blind only knowing version A or B, which I mixed up. Every time she picked the Node version.

Hope this helps anybody who was considering both of these devices for their streaming music. FYI. Best Buy sells the Node too. So if your thinking about it, pick one up and try. And if you can't tell a difference then just return it.

And thanks to all for the help!

So an update on my setup from my other post for 2.1 setup. I hooked up the C47 to the MC302 using the Balanced Output 1. I then used the Unbalanced Output 1 to the sub. Works like a charm. Gives me just enough low bass to fill in the gaps my BWs put out... for movies and music.

Now to the Spotify on PS4 vs Node 2. I had PS4 on input 1 and Node on input 2....

Very significant sound quality difference. The Node was far superior in quality. Now I don't pretend to be an audiophile expert by any means (which is why Spotify is my main source of music). But I could tell a huge difference switching back and forth between the two inputs listening to 15-30 seconds of multiple songs. The highs were clearer and crisper. The lows were more present. There was less "noise" in the music. That's the best way I can describe it.

Now thinking this may be a placebo effect, I had my fiancé help. She listened to each song blind only knowing version A or B, which I mixed up. Every time she picked the Node version.

Hope this helps anybody who was considering both of these devices for their streaming music. FYI. Best Buy sells the Node too. So if your thinking about it, pick one up and try. And if you can't tell a difference then just return it.

And thanks to all for the help!
So, did you use the dac in the c47, or the dacs in the other units?

Back
Top Bottom