McIntosh based Systems

View attachment 1214168
Just updating systems - as I seem to not be able to stop making changes. I have a pair of Altec Valencias coming next weekend. I intend to drive them with the Mystere PA-21 amp/McIntosh C22 preamp. I've never owned Altec speakers before - looking forward to experiencing them.
I also picked up pair of Infinity RS-IIa speakers and McIntosh C32 preamp to use with my MC7300 amp. May try biamping them with MC2105 amp in future, but initially using one amp to get accustomed to how they perform. Then determine how much (if any) benefit biamping delivers.

The Valencias would be a perfect candidate to try with the C32's monitor amplifier.

The Valencias would be a perfect candidate to try with the C32's monitor amplifier.
I hadn't thought of that as an option - so appreciate the suggestion. I will have the Valencia's tomorrow evening. I've never owned Altecs before, so looking forward to trying them with different combinations of amps/preamps and see what I like.

Love your setup.
The only thing I can suggest, if I may be so bold, is to find a cabinet that would showcase and do justice to all your components. Not that what you have right now is not good, but a cabinet that would fit and showcase both tables and all the Macs together would be sort of icing on the cake.
Sorry. Just my OCD speaking. Just ignore me.:biggrin:

Last edited:
Love your setup.
The only thing I can suggest, if I may be so bold, is to find a cabinet that would showcase and do justice to all your components. No that what you have right now is not good, but a cabinet that would fit and showcase both tables and all the Macs together would be sort of icing on the cake.
Sorry. Just my OCD speaking. Just ignore me.:biggrin:
No need to apologize for suggesting better cabinets - as I agree. Just not certain what type would work/look the best given my room constraints.

So I thought I'd update how my systems have evolved. I'm biamping the Infinity speakers with the MC7300 and MC2255 amps playing through the C32 preamp. These speakers are able to sound so musical at almost any volume, and do it effortlessly. I knew the Infinities were keepers for me when I bought them based on a prior pair of RS-IIb I had owned.
IMG_0702.jpg

I'm using the Mystere amp playing through the C22 preamp to drive the Valencias. I bought the Valencias not knowing how I would like their performance. I knew I wanted to experience older Altec speakers, and I also knew I liked their appearance. Based on what I had read about their performance, I had reservations regarding their reputation of not being able to play the low notes and rolling off the high notes. I'm happy to say for me, particularly driven by tubes, I find them to sound terrific. As I'm almost 60 years old, perhaps I can't hear if they are rolling off the upper end. I do hear the ability to sound dynamic, even at low volumes, a wonderful midrange, and the ability to disappear as the source of music. While the Inifinity and Altecs sound quite different, I enjoy them both equally. For the first time in years, I don't find myself wanting to try different speakers. The only change in systems which I'm contemplating is replacing the Mystere amp with a McIntosh tube amp (MC30 or MC225) or a SET tube amp.

IMG_0703.jpg

I have the MC7300 powering bottoms and the MC2255 on top. I still have the MC2105 amp - just not in rotation at present time. Considering selling it (although would like to keep it) or selling the Pioneer receiver to fund purchasing one of the tube amps I mentioned above.

I have the MC7300 powering bottoms and the MC2255 on top. I still have the MC2105 amp - just not in rotation at present time. Considering selling it (although would like to keep it) or selling the Pioneer receiver to fund purchasing one of the tube amps I mentioned above.
I have an MC225 . . . still my favorite Mc stereo tube amplifier of all that I've owned (check out my thread on it in the Mc forum - pretty unbelievable frequency response). You may also try the MC2255 on the bottom and the MC7300 up top as the S/N of the MC7300 is a magnitude better. I would bet that both make similar grunt for the bottom end.

Oh, and don't turn loose of that MC2105 . . . just too damn good of an amp.

I have an MC225 . . . still my favorite Mc stereo tube amplifier of all that I've owned (check out my thread on it in the Mc forum - pretty unbelievable frequency response). You may also try the MC2255 on the bottom and the MC7300 up top as the S/N of the MC7300 is a magnitude better. I would bet that both make similar grunt for the bottom end.
Oh, and don't turn loose of that MC2105 . . . just too damn good of an amp.

The MC225 amp is the one I'd really like to find. I'm actually very pleased with the Mystere amp, but really would like to find a MC225 to pair with the C22 preamp and Valencia speakers. Thanks for recommendation of switching MC7300 and MC2255 amps, as I hadn't thought about using the MC7300 up top
I also tend to agree with not selling the MC2105 amp, which is why the Pioneer is likely to be sold. I find it hard to let go of any McIntosh pieces and the MC2105 is as close to mint condition as I've seen. Likely never find one as nice if I wanted one in the future.

The MC7300 has roughly 3x the output current capability of an MC2255 so you may find you prefer it on the bottom. But you never know until you try.

The MC7300 has roughly 3x the output current capability of an MC2255 so you may find you prefer it on the bottom. But you never know until you try.
Agreed. I switched the amps around last evening after I was done listening to system and had it shutdown. Will listen to it tonight and with the MC7300 for the tops. Interested to determine if I hear a difference.

Just a brief update on the Valencias. It seems they perform well regardless of what I drive them with. Of all the speakers I have tried over the past 10 years, the Valencias are the ones which have most exceeded my expectations regarding their performance versus what I thought I would hear from them. I honestly bought them to "just try out" as I'd never owned vintage Altecs. However, I find I can listen to them for hours at a time and just enjoy the music. I do believe they sound best with tubes. I have owned several Scott integrated amps in past, and was always impressed with their performance. I felt a Scott integrated amp would match well with the Valencias. I saw this 222B amp on USAudiomart. Cosmetically very nice, and refurbished by a highly respected AK member. I decided to purchase it for the Valencias. I've been listening to the combination for the past several days. I'm extremely happy with how they perform. It is a very simple system, but I really enjoy it.

IMG_0745.jpg

I spent this evening rearranging my 2nd system. I have a McIntosh MC275 coming in near future, which will likely replace the MC2255 amp in this system. I thought the Valencias played very well with Scott 222b integrated amp - so am anxious to hear them with McIntosh tube front end.

IMG_0852.jpg

You won't like the tube system. I suggest you send it to me for proper disposal. :D

Just kidding...let us know what you think once you get it up and running!

20180402_140244_zpsa85g2uca.jpg

You won't like the tube system. I suggest you send it to me for proper disposal. :D

Just kidding...let us know what you think once you get it up and running!

20180402_140244_zpsa85g2uca.jpg

(Beautiful system you have!!!) I've been listening to this system with the MC275 amp for the past several days. I'm happy to say I'm very pleased with how it performs. While the Valencias have sounded nice regardless of what I've driven them with previously - they have sounded their best with the MC275 amp. There is a fullness to their sound which wasn't there previously. In addition, the imaging has markedly improved. .

I thought I would post most recent changes to my systems. I purchased a C200 preamp about a month ago and a pair of Aerial Acoustics 10t speakers last week. I just put the system together yesterday - so still need to play around wth speaker placement, etc... Overall, I'm very pleased with initial results. The C200 preamp is very nice and made a very nice improvement to previous setup. It reminds me of a Pass Labs X-1 preamp I had previously owned. It is like a veil is lifted and all you hear is the music. I'm still getting used to the speakers. They seem to image very well and are very coherent/ smooth from top to bottom. Their bass ability is impressive as well. The fact they have a smaller footprint than some of my recent speakers is a nice benefit as well.

IMG_0128.jpg

Back
Top Bottom