Mcintosh C-32?

apachef1

Someone explain the "line out" RCA jacks on this preamplifer? How does it differ from the main and outputs 1 & 2

Thanks Ed

I looked in the owners manual and a vague explanation, connecting an amplifier to this set of RCA will be attenuated using the volume control on the C-32 front panel?

It comes off the output of the monitor amp. So it depends on how you have the monitor amp set up.

I would stay away from using it unless you have a specific engineered unit to accept it.

Google 600 ohm input. Almost all the devices shown are paging, telephone, pro install type units.

What are you hoping to use it for? Often a 600 output would be fed to a balanced transformer with the intent to send a low fidelity signal a long distance from paging station etc.

I thought the line output is similar to a tape play output, bypasses the volume control and any eq expander controls

If you look at page 19, the block diagram, in the owners manual, it clearly shows the line out coming off the monitor amp, just like the headphones. Because the monitor amp input is switchable between the record and listen buss the amp output and control function will vary between the two busses.

In 39 years of selling and using this preamp I never have had the need to use this archaic output, but knowing how geeky the designers were back in 1977, I understand why they felt the need to include it. Someday I will share the story of when Gordon discovered I kept a slipstick in my desk drawer.

What you heard is all a bunch of bull. Depending on the service quality of the loop a 600 ohm line can be flat from 20 to 20,000 with less than 1% distortion for hundreds of miles. Way back when. Audio distributed over Disney land was all originally 600 ohms lines. The issue with 600 ohm lines were the quality of the repeat coils,transformers and repeat amplifiers. High quality Peerless, UTC and Jensen transformers though very expensive guaranteed great results. Today Solid state differential in put amps replaced input transformers as have balanced low impedance SS Buffer output Amps. If transformers are so bad what are you doing owning Mcintosh Amplifiers? The 600 ohm line output means it can drive difficult loads your regular pre-amp outputs can't. If you need to drive 10 amplifiers at one time for music through out the house the 600 ohm out put is the one to use. If you need a + 24 db professional output capability the 600 ohm line is what you use. If you have a ground loop with a sub woofer knowing how to use the 600 ohm line will guarantee a clean signal with out compromising the NEC electrical code. If you need to sum the channels for a mono output with a little circuit work the 600 ohm circuit is the output to use. If you need to send audio to your computer with out picking up noises the line output is the one you use. The C-28 had a 600 ohm out put too, but couldn't drive as high of levels at as low of distortion. I use my C-34 output to drive another system on the other side of the house as I don't want any interference or loading of the signal to the main system. Its a very low impedance buffer amp output to protect your main system from loads of other systems, be they near or far. Its a variation of these circuits that allows current Mac pre-amps and integrated units to drive the current batch of low impedance headphones that require more power. Mac does the same thing to a different degree with the outputs of all its tube Pre-amps from the C1000 down in the balanced and others in the unbalanced configuration. So use it with out fear. That said you might at first have a sensitivity issue at the other end, I am not saying you will, but you could. That means the load at the other end needs to have input volume adjust ment. Having an old tube or SS amp with a .5 or .7 volt sensitivity will require adjustment. Also remember the lower the output impedance of the source the less chance for picking up weird distortions and stray signals at the receiving end, especially in a balanced configuration not available on the C-30 series pre-amps. .

Last edited:
Would it be possible to re-wire the line out jack to by-pass the volume attenuation and tone controls and turn it into a true line out similar to a tape repro output. I would like to connect the C-32 pre or maybe an MX-117 to my main preamplifier and use the Mcintosh pre mainly as a switching pre for multiple analog tape decks and a digital recorder.
The mx-117 has two tape loops and a tuner as a bonus, the C-32 has three tape loops minus the tuner. The tuner is a bonus and not necessary. I will also have more phono inputs and an extra input if needed.

I find myself doing some patching when I want to make a tape to tape dub or an analog to digital transfer. The tape switch boxes from thirty years ago are to flimsy for what I need. The Mc gear also comes with extra ac sockets and of course its a Mcintosh.

Ed

In this application, a passive switching device is preferable to running signals through additional electronic stages where it is not necessary - as excellent as the C32 is.

It is also likely that upgrading to a better switcher would be far less expensive than the cost of major surgery to the C32 would entail - which undoubtedly will result in disturbing the fragile C32 ribbon wiring further compounding the problem...as well as its expense.

Frankly, I would not advise this course at all.

Last edited:
What is your "main" preamp? Even as a switcher your C32 is at least 10 years beyond a power supply rebuild and axial electrolytic cap replacement in the phono section. Any experienced restoration tech knows to stabilize the ribbon cables that affect the switching relays before any further work is done. Then you just need to not be ham fisted......

A restored C32 is a very formidable preamp itself to be back shelved as a switcher only......

The Mcintosh is transparent and quite a looker, I have a Lamm and Manley Steelhead for my main pre & phono rig, the Lamm only has one tape loop. In the past I've used this era Mcintosh pre with a vinyl setup, the phono input on a C-32 will not come out ahead of this combo,

I've also looked at the C-33, same three tape loops and additional signal processor loops I could use for a Dolby 363 & 422 for decoding Dolby A or B. So the question remains, can the "line out be re-wired to by-pass the volume, eq and expanded to perform at the same loading as a tape repro out?

I know the Mcintosh purist are wincing at this idea but I'm only modifying a more or less "unused for audiophile purposes" line section of the C-32 to be more useful in my setup. All the main outs will stay current to their function and if anything the C-32 or 33 will get quite a bit of use.

My only other option is to have a custom switch box made and we are roughly in the same ballpark as a C-32 or C-33.

I had a C-32...Terry did a complete Recap and replaced the Cables. What did concern me is the wiring is very brittle..plus I am going to a New direction (it's in my Avatar). If your going to keep this...A Recap and New Cables should be on your list.

The processor output(s) of the C33 might be the solution. I can't say whether the output from these points is fixed or variable.

Of coarse it can be done. I even pulled out the schematic to check a possible pathway. So now you need to find a local to you tech that can do it.

I had at one time a 4X4 matrix tape switcher with quality rotary switches, vintage 90s. Most likely with the lost oscilloscope that the guys have given me grief about!

C_DK thanks, my other option, to loop the tape loop through the two analog tape decks and back. The digital recorder has facilities to replace the loop on the preamplifier.
If I go with the Mcintosh setup I'll go with 69caddy's idea and use the C-33 processor loop to connect to the Lamm tape loop. Avoids the whole re-wire thing

Everyone, thanks for the help, greatly appreciated

Ed

Back
Top Bottom