McIntosh C-40 Preamp Value

One911Guy

Kind of a rare bird I am finding but I have a line on one. Online searches both here and elsewhere come up with people who have them, love them. The unit appears to be in very good condition from photos provided. Glass and printing are clean and clear - all lights appear to be working. Original boxes, packing materials and manual included. I do not believe it has been serviced but seller claims (I know) everything functions as intended. I think this unit is now between 21 and 27 years old.

This would be my first McIntosh foray, so I'm pretty stoked about the prospect. I keep missing other purchase opportunities by a day or two it seems as of late. Sigh.

I almost hate to ask, but what would be a fair purchase price for this?

Thanks in advance.

I paid $1100 in 2015, without boxes or manual. I have seen them on eBay for up to $2200. I would think $1800 is a fair price based on your description including box, manual, etc. I believe the seller. Everything just works, although I have not used the built in amp to drive a pair of smaller speakers, which is a cool feature...

C40 is essentially the final preamplifier of its styling generation that began with the C32 of 1977 and therefore the most refined. Never heard (or even seen one in person) as they are relatively rare which no doubt plays some role in the prices they command compared with the C32, 33 and 34. As with these three other models it is a "full-featured" McIntosh preamp in that it has a few extra niceties that McIntosh preamplifiers on either side didn't.

Other than the fact it isn't remote controlled (if it did, I would own one without hesitation) it should be a great performer and you should little difficulty selling if and when the time comes.

Thanks @slowpat your estimate seems to be in line with ask. I do find the built in amp interesting as well. @62caddy - I find the unit very beautiful and possessing that classic McIntosh look. The remote control is not important to me. Never really liked them. I just get so wrapped up in this stuff. Almost as giddy as a schoolgirl about this unit! I am going to look it over and will report back either way. Anyone else wish to comment about the C-40? I'm all eyes and ears.

There's one local to me and the guy is asking $2100 with OBM, so I've been looking at this piece as well. Per the Audiogon Bluebook, avg sale price on Audiogon is $1586; Private party value is $1717; trade-in value is $1284.

At least he's not asking $3500 for a pair of XR-240s like another guy.

@willie-aspen - I was looking around at the Colorado ads and saw the $3,500 speakers! Even terrible photography to go with it. I also came across some guy selling his whole system for something like $35,000 - that whole Northern Colorado area seems to have a lot of Mc activity.

@One911Guy - I agree that there's activity in my neck of the woods, but no real deals. Granted, the pieces are in very nice condition (in the pics), but they are also asking top dollar (and in the case of the XR240s, stupidly ridiculous high pricing). I can't blame them because that's the pricing they see on ebay. Not that it's selling there for that price either, but hey those facts are very inconvenient...

The guy selling his system says it retails for $55K, but doesn't say he bought it new. And he won't separate it except the B&W 800s, if he gets the right price. He claims the system is worth $35K, but he'll take $28K. My computations come closer to $24Kish. Not that I was planning to buy it anyway...

Back
Top Bottom