1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Mcintosh C100, C200 vs C1000P

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by hillbilly2, Nov 8, 2018.

1. hillbilly2

hillbilly2 New Member

Hello. Did anyone compare preamplifiers C100, C200 and C1000P (Solid State)? I own C100 and C200, I find the C100 more smooth, with more flesh and body, less dry than the C200. Is the phono section better on the C1000, the C100 and C200 have MC silver Ortofon, not the C1000? Thanks for your answers. Pascal from France

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.

2. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

I had a C100 before upgrading to the C200 (only for the HT PassThru feature). They sound identical to my ears. It is my understanding that the C200 is simply a C100 with an updated front panel, updated ergonomics, and some additional functionality (PassThru for example). Later C200s did not include the Ortofon SUT as production ceased on it. Mc designed a new phono section for it, I believe which is also in the C500.

If you search this forum for C100 and C200, you'll find several threads by myself and others detailing these wonderful preamps - one of which describes all of the variants. Here is a start:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/in...&c[title_only]=1&c[node]=54&c[user][0]=143153

At AK, we have at least a dozen owners between both models.

3. hillbilly2

hillbilly2 New Member

Thanks for your answer. My C100 (I think is not a C100A) and C200 have the same Ortofon MC Step Up,they are very close but for me they don't sound identically. The C100 have more flesh, body and slam specialy on phono. I've read the threads, apparently it's hard to see the differencies between A or not A units! A friend have a C100 too, his phono MC input is less good but he have less breathe when there are no signal.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018