McIntosh C220 - scrambled display?

DC

"Manhattan Boy"
Subscriber
Hi gang...wondering if anybody might have any suggestions.

My C220 suddenly went berserk the other night - scrambled display and lack of interface control. I have emailed Audio Classics to see if it might need a real repair or if there is something a handy owner can do under the hood without the need to send it in. I disconnected all the components and powered it up stand-alone and did the microprocessor reset sequence in the manual, but to no avail.

I had unplugged it (and other components) to swap in a new power-strip, but that's the only unusual activity that occurred, and I would not expect something as innocuous as that to be a culprit, but :dunno:.

Anybody have any thoughts?
DC

I agree, I guess I somewhat-consiously assumed or hoped there was a more robust "reset" that could be done as it seemed more like a software issue than a hardware issue, but I was a little discouraged when the "micro-processor" reset detailed in the manual didn't do anything.

Can you share that process with all of us (said the slightly nervous C220 owner) so this thread might help someone else in the future ?

Thanks !

jblnut

Can you share that process with all of us (said the slightly nervous C220 owner) so this thread might help someone else in the future ?

Thanks !

jblnut

Sure: "With the unit powered on, press and hold the tone bypass button and output 2. The unit should do a factory reset." This is what I did and it worked first the first time. The "micro-processor reset" detailed in the manual says to hold the on/standby switch for 5-seconds and the until will cycle, resetting itself. When I tried that, it cycled, but didn't change the pre-amp behavior or fix the problem. The downside of the "factory reset" is that you have to re-program the presets (turn off unused inputs, adjust trim levels, etc.), but I suppose that's a small inconvenience, comparatively.

Sure: "With the unit powered on, press and hold the tone bypass button and output 2. The unit should do a factory reset." This is what I did and it worked first the first time. The "micro-processor reset" detailed in the manual says to hold the on/standby switch for 5-seconds and the until will cycle, resetting itself. When I tried that, it cycled, but didn't change the pre-amp behavior or fix the problem. The downside of the "factory reset" is that you have to re-program the presets (turn off unused inputs, adjust trim levels, etc.), but I suppose that's a small inconvenience, comparatively.
Compared to the situation before the reset, yes, I'd say a nominal inconvenience at most ;)

Reactions: DC
Compared to the situation before the reset, yes, I'd say a nominal inconvenience at most ;)

Yeah, after I wrote that, I thought to myself that it did sound a bit “whiny” of me. Must be my Gen-X/near-millennial entitlement, eh? :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom