McIntosh C28, C30, Or?

Thrill Kille

I would like to get a Vintage Mac PreAmp for my TT set up. A friend said that the C28 or C30 have very good Phono Stage. True?, No?

The reason for the vintage request, is that I already have a MC2205 stereo amp. So my date range I’m looking at is mid 70’s - 80’s to match the date range of my amp. I would also use the pre-amp for streaming music from my media server. Jazz, Blues, Classic Rock, etc.

TT Set Up: McIntosh MC2205, Technics SL-1200MK5 (w/Goldring 1006), Martin Logan Motion 40’s (1st Gen)
It’s actually not "set up". But wrapped in plastic waiting for a traditional pre amp. Or a phono pre amp. Though I’d like to stay old school if I can. And the price is right.

I realize that a phono pre amp is cheaper than a vintage Mac pre amp. But, I have saved up. And have a budget of $1,500 +/- $250ish,

Thanks,

With that budget, I would look for a freshly serviced, minty, C-33 to pair with your 2205.
I've owned both the C-28 & C-32, but the C-33 which I've owned for a long, long time now is the best of the lot. Lots of useful features, many inputs, great specs & sonic quality.
And, it does have an outstanding phono section.

Another useful feature is the "record" selection. This acts as a router, or a set of outputs separate from your listen mode. It's designed to select a source to a recorder, but in your case could by used to select a desired source to your streaming device. Believe me. It's a very functional preamp.

Last edited:
The C37 is an amazing McIntosh preamp to aim at for your budget.

The C712/C15 group are amazing pieces for age and sound.

I am a big fan of vintage amps. Preamps are something to think about buying new-ish. You could pair an older Mc preamp with an older amp, but I'd recommend not buying a preamp more than 30 years old when you have a budget of $1500. Especially if you are dealing with solid state.

According to some friends the business, the C-37 is the Best of the 16" wide pre-amps made. That doesn't mean its the most flexible, and has all the possibilities the C33 and C-34 have. I love MC cartridges so I added a MP100 to my C-34 and ir really cleaned up the sound for me for the analog stereo system. It has a digital out put which I ran to the MX151 to use in a digital mode and to make CD dubs. The C-34 with the MP 100 for a MM cartridge reminds me of my C-29. Very clear and clean with tight bass, where my C-28 was a little on the mellow side just like the C-34. But with those graphic controls in the record mode you can make a dub sound anyway you choose. The commander expander is no DBX 3BX, so I don't use it. But if you need just a touch of help getting rid of back ground noise a moderate application of correction can help.

According to some friends the business, the C-37 is the Best of the 16" wide pre-amps made. That doesn't mean its the most flexible, and has all the possibilities the C33 and C-34 have. I love MC cartridges so I added a MP100 to my C-34 and ir really cleaned up the sound for me for the analog stereo system. It has a digital out put which I ran to the MX151 to use in a digital mode and to make CD dubs. The C-34 with the MP 100 for a MM cartridge reminds me of my C-29. Very clear and clean with tight bass, where my C-28 was a little on the mellow side just like the C-34. But with those graphic controls in the record mode you can make a dub sound anyway you choose. The commander expander is no DBX 3BX, so I don't use it. But if you need just a touch of help getting rid of back ground noise a moderate application of correction can help.

I was able to demo the C-37 about 25mi from my house. I have been fortunately able to demo all of the pieces I currently have, and your post made me think about another great challenge there.

I thought the C-37 sounded fantastic paired up to a MC2255, a basic Linn table (don't remember the arm, Denon DL103, probably a step up), all running into some older speakers (I like to call them linen and wood, but the Acoustic Research, KLH, etc style).

My mentioned the MP100, and I would like to add one into my system. That got me going down the rabbit hole of pieces in the sound, whether the C37 sounded good, whether it sounded good in that setup, and whether it really matters.

Please don't take this to mean that I don't care, because I do very much.

C40 is another great model - if you can find one. To my mind it was the last of the great "full-featured" Mc preamplifiers, as well as the most refined of this series.

Now if they only gave it remote! :(

If you can give up the five knob equalizer. I am not sure if there is a full-featured option. Loudness, Remote, 5 Band Equalizer.

It reminds me of a saying in bicycles: Strong, Light, Cheap -- pick two.

c40.JPG

Is there a Thread, or a site that explains the Pros/Cons of say the C27 - C40? As each new preamp released, in theory is a "Improvement" on previous gens.

For me. C 28 is the one to own. Built the old way, no ribbon cables. Maintainable. After seeing the C32 internals and one with issues, I lost the desire to own a C 32 unless someone gifted me one.

Get a C504 and have it rebuilt.

It's a straight forward, no-frills pre amp with an excellent phono section. It's got two phono, two tape, tuner and aux, three band tone control, and variable loudness. Unless you really "need" all the other cool features of the C33 like the monitor amp, compander, record out switch, more inputs, more outputs, two headphones, five band tone control, the C504 would be a good option.

You've got to get those red brown "West Germany" caps out of there, they're done (West Germany's not even a country any more!)

For me. C 28 is the one to own. Built the old way, no ribbon cables. Maintainable. After seeing the C32 internals and one with issues, I lost the desire to own a C 32 unless someone gifted me one.

The ribbon cables are easy to replace if needed. There is a kit on eBay.

I had a C40 for a while, after moving to the C48 and also now owning a C33 in my second system, I'd say the C40 is closer to the C33 era in sound than the C48....
I liked it, and I do like those sealed reed relays, but there are still some components in the signal path that cause issues, like the balance for example...
I do like that it has XLR outputs, handy for me since everything I was plugging it into had XLR inputs.
They are kind of rare and hold their price. Another one I should have held onto!!
But to be honest, I am most happy with the C33, they are simply awesome pre-amps, you really can't go wrong with them.

Back
Top Bottom