Mcintosh C28 Preamp looking to replace Input/Mode selector bulbs

Mazdatech

Hi Everyone
Looking to replace the small bulbs for the Input & Mode selector, I know they are 6 volt but not sure how many milliamps... does anyone have a bulb number for these 2? Also how do you remove the black plastic enclosure that houses the bulbs behind the glass? I pulled on it but does not want to let go? Is it on a spline or does it come off another way?
Thank You in advance!

DSC02941.JPG

My Rig - Mcintosh MC2300 C28 Thorens turntable TD160 Cambridge CXN D/A converter and A/R TSW 810 Speakers

Should be a number 44/47 bulb type base. The #44 runs brighter (but hotter, increasing your risk of causing bubbles on the faceplate) at 250mA, or your could opt for the #47 type at 150 mA which will be dimmer, but cooler. They are very common miniature lamps. You can find them at pretty much any Radio Shack, as well as some hardware stores.

OR, go for the best-of-both-worlds method and get the LED replacements. They are often sold by companies that supply parts for pinball machines. There are several vendors and types to choose from on that auction site. I plan to do this next time my bulbs burn out.

To remove the bulb, you have to push and twist left. This is recommend using some sort of plastic or rubber tool to do this for the near the push buttons. The tabs on the side of the bulb twist and lock in (see image).

44%20bulb.jpg

Should be a number 44/47 bulb type base. The #44 runs brighter (but hotter, increasing your risk of causing bubbles on the faceplate) at 250mA, or your could opt for the #47 type at 150 mA which will be dimmer, but cooler. They are very common miniature lamps. You can find them at pretty much any Radio Shack, as well as some hardware stores.

OR, go for the best-of-both-worlds method and get the LED replacements. They are often sold by companies that supply parts for pinball machines. There are several vendors and types to choose from on that auction site. I plan to do this next time my bulbs burn out.

To remove the bulb, you have to push and twist left. This is recommend using some sort of plastic or rubber tool to do this for the near the push buttons. The tabs on the side of the bulb twist and lock in (see image).

44%20bulb.jpg
Hi,
Thank you for the reply! please reread my thread, I have already replaced those display bulbs but I am looking for the "mode/input selector" bulbs. They are tiny with wires attached to them to point and input and mode... they show up as a red indicator

I was confused which bulbs you are referring to. I thought the indicators were lit passively by the 4 main bulbs by means of a light diffuser, but apparently this is not the case. I looked up the service manual and searched some other threads and now see what you mean. I'll quote the master on this one:
The mode and input selector use a pigtail 6V lamp (grain of wheat size), McIntosh part # 044-208 for the assembly, don't have a number for the lamp alone, call the parts department they may have the lamp alone.

Hope that helps.

I was confused which bulbs you are referring to. I thought the indicators were lit passively by the 4 main bulbs by means of a light diffuser, but apparently this is not the case. I looked up the service manual and searched some other threads and now see what you mean. I'll quote the master on this one:

Hope that helps.
Hi, thanks its a good start! I know they have gone obsolete at Mcintosh, just trying to find out the amperage for them and will most likely buy them online. Still not sure how to remove the plastic housing to access them

thanks

Ironically just got this answer from Andy a couple weeks ago. I did not order mine yet. That thing is itty bitty.. I might need something to steady my hand before attempting this. Or just buy the whole thing plastic and all.

From Andy:
"
Frank i do not have these any longer but the factory may be able to help you on this. The number there is 607-723-3512 then ask for the parts department. The bulb number would be a 058-041. Thanks and have a great day!"

Ironically just got this answer from Andy a couple weeks ago. I did not order mine yet. That thing is itty bitty.. I might need something to steady my hand before attempting this. Or just buy the whole thing plastic and all.

From Andy:
"
Frank i do not have these any longer but the factory may be able to help you on this. The number there is 607-723-3512 then ask for the parts department. The bulb number would be a 058-041. Thanks and have a great day!"

Thank You!
at least we now have the part number, still need to figure out how to replace them as I don't see how the housing is removed from the selector switch.

Jim

I believe they are referred to as grain of wheat bulbs, I believe 6 volt, you can purchase them on ebay and I believe radio shack has them, though you would have to extend the leads on them. I changed them on my c28 a few years back.

Well, Gail at McIntosh does not have them. I wish I had another source with a part #. Anybody else? This things in Pieces still for a ity bity lamp.

I believe they are referred to as grain of wheat bulbs, I believe 6 volt, you can purchase them on ebay and I believe radio shack has them, though you would have to extend the leads on them. I changed them on my c28 a few years back.

You are right. Thanks. Taking over this thread. Sorry OP. The grain of wheat bulb is avail. online but in different voltages. Can anyone confirm the voltage? McIntosh does not know the voltage oddly enough.Thanks.

I've got a lot of them, I can send you some just pay for postage, if you pm me I'll send you my email and we can work out details
John

I know this is an old thread, but does anyone know if the translucid white plastic that glows red, in front of the grain of wheat bulbs, can be replaced? I do not what kind of material this is. The material turned black on mine, due to the heat from the bulbs (see picture). Thanks!!

Attachments

• 0DEB50C7-5A31-4533-9F35-209AD204DC63.jpeg
    0DEB50C7-5A31-4533-9F35-209AD204DC63.jpeg
    35.6 KB · Views: 54
I've got a lot of them, I can send you some just pay for postage, if you pm me I'll send you my email and we can work out details
John
Hi. Old thread. I’m looking for 2 of these GrainOfWheat bulbs for my selector switches. Anyone have them still? John?

Back
Top Bottom