Mcintosh C28 Stopped Working

Pmonk

She worked beautifully but all of a sudden this morning no right channel?

Any hints would be appreciated.

Same for all inputs?

Does the problem move when reversing stereo mode with selector control?

C28s are notorious for this as they have more knobs, dials, and switches on it than any other preamp that I know of. In addition, none of them are sealed. I JUST went through mine. The tape selector switches were the culprit and cleaning them is a real PITA.

The problem should switch sides if you do as 62caddy suggests. If you have no audio in the Stereo Reverse position, that switch may need cleaning as well.

Yeah - I'd vote for dirty controls - took some serious dedication to get mine reliably clean -- for me it was the function selector, first and foremost.

Glass half full: Now's a great opportunity to try another preamp, though...

C-28 innards by mhardy6647, on Flickr

Last edited:
R Channel not totally dead (some audio goes through) but near dead on all R channel inputs and when you hit S reverse the problem does not follow.

And she was working just fine last night.

And to make matter worse my lap top died this morning as well.

Not a good electronic day for me.

Weak to zero signal at right out on all mode setting helps narrow it down.

My first instincts would be to check your RCA connections between the C 28 and the power amp.

I would then swap L & R preamp outputs to eliminate the power amplifier as the culprit.

If it's still there, proceed to cleaning switches as the others have suggested.

Sorry to hear of the other problems.

Currently have the audio experience working as the pre and the connections were the same with the C28 so its somewhere in the C28.

How does one go about cleaning switches (outside of paying someone to do it for me)?

Maybe its time to blow the load an buy the Prima Luna tube pre-amp?

Well, if you're unable to get any audio from that channel when aggressively working all of the controls and buttons, it needs service. I had the same exact issue and it ended up being the Tape 2 selector switch.

Doing a full check this morning thru headphones, the only mode that has no sound is L + R to R.

If you turn the C28 on and off you certainly can hear the noise of the machine in both channels

Listening thru headphones (which is tough since the jack is all screwed up), all the other mode selectors work and I have a strong feeling it is one of the tape selectors as well.

There's a block diagram of the signal flow on the top, correct? Apply what you know to figure out what blocks are known to be working from that reference.

I'll bet that there's mechanical switching that's the root cause.

Cheers,

David

I may sound like a broken record but just had it crop up again in a MA6100 in for a complete restoration.....bad ground drain.

Usually can get a hint of sound by manipulating controls if the are dirty.

After forty years of faithful service any C28 deserves a complete restore.

I may sound like a broken record but just had it crop up again in a MA6100 in for a complete restoration.....bad ground drain.

Usually can get a hint of sound by manipulating controls if the are dirty.

After forty years of faithful service any C28 deserves a complete restore.

^^^ What he said......:yes:

Cheers,

David

Weird. I turned on the C28 to give a listen with the headphones and experience the same problem with the right channel.

I pulled off the top shield cover where the output levels are (headphone, bass trim, etc...) and heard the usual static as wires are moved and started moving the input levels back and forth when all of a sudden I got the right channel back.

Hooked it back up to my main system and everything works well, so I'm pretty sure its just a maintenance issue (lets see how it responds to an overnight power off)

Will get the C28 serviced when I get my MC2505 back.

Moral of stories - old electronics can drive people nuts?

Last edited:
Just like I suspected ....

62caddy - the worst day of workin on cars is better than the best day of work.

Weird. I turned on the C28 to give a listen with the headphones and experience the same problem with the right channel.

I pulled off the top shield cover where the output levels are (headphone, bass trim, etc...) and heard the usual static as wires are moved and started moving the input levels back and forth when all of a sudden I got the right channel back.

Hooked it back up to my main system and everything works well, so I'm pretty sure its just a maintenance issue (lets see how it responds to an overnight power off)

Will get the C28 serviced when I get my MC2505 back.

Moral of stories - old electronics can drive people nuts?

I don't see any clinic stickers.....if you would have brought this unit into a local amp clinic say 20 years ago, DOB would have had your local guy like me do the needed 4-5 hours service on their nickel.....

I guess the C28 was talking to my MC2200, and the MC2200 told the C28 that it is certainly acceptable to take a nap once in a while during working hours?

Back
Top Bottom