McIntosh C28 vs. C26

Kamakiri

The New Dynamic
Does anyone know what exactly is the difference between these two preamps, other than cosmetics? :dunno:

I thought I heard or read that the 28 has a progressive loudness control. The 28 is bigger in its depth. Thats all I can about them. Sonically, I really didn't hear much of a difference when I owned both.

When I had my 24 at Audio Classics being fixed, they told me 28 parts are still readily available. Parts for earlier models either are rebuilt or parts from a donor are found. He also mentioned that a SS unit should be serviced every 12 years, tube 8 years. So that means most C-24, 26, 27, & 28's need some form of service.

g

re: loudness. umm...

... there's a two-position "loudness" switch on my C-28, but not continuously-variable loudness a la EICO and Yamaha.

Do y'all know something I don't?

I think the main Diff betweem the two are the the 28 has a seperate headphone amp and a Comp control that lets you flatten all the tone controls. The C32 uses the Varible loudness.

Grumpy

Yep, been many years since I've seen a C28. I'm an MX guy.
Half the money, space and cables, all of the sound.
Carl

The C28 has a built-in headphone amp (really a nice little 20 watts per channel power amp) and uses an outboard speaker relay that also controls 2 AC 3-prong outlets for power amps thereby taking the "pressure" off the on-off switch. The 28 is not the same as the 26 but a later design with much of it coming from the 26 shortcomings. Put a pair of these side by side (of course, both in spec) and the 28 is quieter especially in the phono section, has better dynamics, resolution and bass is better balanced. Mc ran preamp lines: 1) C26, C27 and 2)C28, C29. A 27 is very close to the 28 sonically in the hi-level but the phono section is not as good as the 26. Open a 26 and 28 and it's like night and day. Both used high quality components and the 26 can be improved with better sheilding and cable routing but since the prce difference is so little between a 26 and 28, I'm not sure why anyone would go for the 26. That said, I've begun to notice that the 28s on eBay are starting to be getting higher average values so it may be that the preamp is either finally getting attention or has been so underpriced it is now reaching "budget" status.

Thanks for the info everyone.....I was trying to see if the price difference was really worth it, as the C26 sells for so much less than the 28. Guess I'll save my pennies :cool:

Back
Top Bottom