McIntosh C32 Recap

CohibaJoe

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Picked this up from Fleebay at 4 Clams(made an offer to Seller). Needs New front glass which I ordered from McIntosh. Also, ordered all New Caps and will get the Glass and Caps next week.

C32 is working and very clean unit. Just the Top plate is scuff up.

Main Caps: EPCOS/TDK 4700uf/63v
Caps: Nichicon PW, ES, Vishay/BC Components 470uf/40v Axial

Also thinking about replacing the RCA jacks. RCA connectors that Mac sourced even for these (1900, 4100, 6100) has not stood up to time.

Now what Amp should I look at???? Stay tune.....

Mc32a.jpg

I am disappointed that Mac used Tape to keep the connectors on...:dunno:...How about locking connectors???
Mc32b.jpg

Nice C32! Good luck with it. You do know that once you're in you can never get out. As to the right amp, that's easy - cubic dollars.

Going to look at Updating the Op-Amps.

Tone Filter - (4) LF356N
Expander, Balance & Loudness - (2) NE5534N
Left/Right Input Switching - (4) LF356N
HeadPhone Monitor - (2) LM201N
Expander PC - (9) LM201N, (2) LF356N

Going to look at Updating the Op-Amps.

Tone Filter - (4) LF356N
Expander, Balance & Loudness - (2) NE5534N
Left/Right Input Switching - (4) LF356N
HeadPhone Monitor - (2) LM201N
Expander PC - (9) LM201N, (2) LF356N
I'm not sure it's necessary to replace all of the op amps. I think the only reason Ron-C replaced his was because there are lower noise versions (NE5534N vs. NE5534AN).

I'm not sure it's necessary to replace all of the op amps. I think the only reason Ron-C replaced his was because there are lower noise versions (NE5534N vs. NE5534AN).
This is what I am seeing so far: Still doing research on this.

NE5534N - Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5-OPA-S
LF356N - TI OPA134PA or TI BB OPA604AP
LM201N - TI LM741CN

Last edited:
Looking good! The Nich PW are the littl' brown caps? Spec sheet says they're miniatures.
http://www.nichicon.co.jp/english/products/pdfs/e-pw.pdf

And Nich EWs replacing the dreaded ROI non-pols.

I worked at a small company in the last 10 years where the `old timer´ plastered everything with tape, and he directed the Tech to do the same. After a couple years, EVERYTHING was plastered with tape. There were pieces of old tape stuck on the step ladders. One time the Tech wrapped masking taper around a drill bit and tightened it in the drill chuck. Well that gummed-up the chuck pretty bad. Just sayin'.

Last edited:
Other than the glass the parts are not terribly expensive.

How many hours do you think you will have into the recap?

Looking good! The Nich PW are the littl' brown caps? Spec sheet says they're miniatures.
http://www.nichicon.co.jp/english/products/pdfs/e-pw.pdf

And Nich EWs replacing the dreaded ROI non-pols.

I worked at a small company in the last 10 years where the `old timer´ plastered everything with tape, and he directed the Tech to do the same. After a couple years, EVERYTHING was plastered with tape. There were pieces of old tape stuck on the step ladders. One time the Tech wrapped masking taper around a drill bit and tightened it in the drill chuck. Well that gummed-up the chuck pretty bad. Just sayin'.
The Brown Caps are Nichicon PW, Green Nichicon ES and Vishay/BC Components Axial.

All the Tape is removed as I use this to Hold Down the Cables.

Back
Top Bottom