McIntosh C32 Recap

BPW77N is a Phototransistor[/QUOTE]
I know. Just showing the metal packaging. Same as the NE5534 in ST gear.
The NE5534N(P) is a DIP. Converting the metal package to DIP requires a socket to adopt the change.

I know. Just showing the metal packaging. Same as the NE5534 in ST gear.
The NE5534N(P) is a DIP. Converting the metal package to DIP requires a socket to adopt the change

Significant difference or subtle with the new NE5534N(P)?
Let's start a New thread on what you are doing. Then you can post pics on what this looks like.
I will look to see what is out there.

Well Well.....A MC 2105 posted on Fleebay...1 channel is out but the unit is 9/10. 7 Clams...Look out for
MC 2105 Recap/Repair...:):)

Well....Maybe I need new glasses (and I did not see any Cold joints).
That did it.....THANKS!!!!!! Going to button it up.

Question:. are you saying that reflowing the relay pins solved the cut-out problem?

If so, then GREAT, and you have a spare relay in store.

Correct....I had to remove the Front Glass to get into the boards with Switches. I also replaced the Front Lamps... Main Caps also arrive today... The C32 is a Very Nice sounding unit.. All channels are balanced and not a Peep of noise from the speakers. This one is a keeper.
I think you're going to have a NICE unit for a VERY long time there, and know how satisfying it is to update these amps as a project. For me, it's like going back to HS years (72-76), soldering-up caps, resistors and relays, drilling and punching chassis, etc. Same thing, same vintage. :)

Hey...though I'd pop-in Roger's C32 specs: http://www.roger-russell.com/preamps.htm#c32

tc32.jpg

Sure enough.. sold from 1977 to 81.

- (this space intentionally left blank) -

Last edited:
Question:. are you saying that reflowing the relay pins solved the cut-out problem?

If so, then GREAT, and you have a spare relay in store.
Yes....Re-flow the relay connectors. What I noticed the Relay connector pins are not Tinned very well. I re-flowed the other connectors but
not the Relay. All good now.

I sent to Terry a MR-78 and will be getting in a MC-2105 (the Amp will be done by me).

Hi all,
I know this is an ancient thread but want to ask a couple of questions, I need orientation in the process of my c32 recapping. a) I keep burning this resistor as soon as I power the preamp (look picture) board is from headphone monitor. Any thoughts?
And how do I access power supply caps, want to change these and main 4700uf caps.
Thanks!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20180731_190557.jpg
    IMG_20180731_190557.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 54
You have a shorted semiconductor.....no recap will solve this issue.

Standard troubleshooting procedures for amp repair (variac or dim bulb tester) apply. Most likely part of the supply for the faulty device but without a schematic at home just a guess.

You should probably locate a local Mac tech and have the amp repaired.

The main filter caps Mac used in the C32 are of the same design as they used in their power amp main supply caps......they seldom fail. Your local tech should be able to stress test them to verify their state. I did have one fail a month ago in a MA6200 so that might bring it up to 6 over 40 years.

Yes, that is the question, was wondering if I had to access from the top and remove all the boards, so I can access from the under side then?

You’ll need to remove the top and bottom cover to get to the main caps properly. They are more than likely fine, but I replaced them along with all other electrolytic caps.

Hello

Sorry but I don't understand why it is so complicate .........I have refixed more than 30 C32
Headphone amp is easy to delete :
- 2 screws on the left side (if the panel is in front of you )
- all connectors need to be unpluged

your burned resistor means to me :
-one TO92 in short circuit
- one (minimum) output transistor in same condition . Beware they are darlington type , do not use sub or normal transistor . Contact the factory they have the right parts for your repair .
If you think that you are not able to do it , you can always send your defective board !

Many thanks clinic-audio, I really appreciate this orientation on the burnt resistor. Regarding the access, I was referring to the power supply caps, did not want to disconnect things before knowing if I could access these more easily, but now I know I need to access them from the bottom cover.

Hi Cohiba Joe
Did you replace the op amps? I am about done re-caping (Electrolytics) my C32 and some feedback on replacements on LM201's. On the Expander, Balance & Loudness - 045-169 board I noticed one NE5534N and one NE5534AN
Thanks,

Back
Top Bottom