Mcintosh C46 or C47?

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by theoman, Jun 6, 2018.

1. theoman

theoman Confused Member Subscriber

I've been offered goth for around the same price. and I've been bagging my head on my desk
    the C47 has a top of the line Phono section that can be used with MC of MM cartridges,
    the C46 has a EQ , the the digital section good to plug a transport in it or are there better DAC's

Please register to disable this ad.

2. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Smart Ass Sponsor Subscriber

Both preamps will handle MM & MC cartridges, it's only if you decide to get a LOMC cartridge then the C46 will need a stand alone SUT, Head Amp to help it with gain and loading. A HOMC or medium out put cart should be fine.

As far as one or the other, I'd be getting the C47 with a more flexible phono stage and built in DAC and skip tone controls.

3. kevzep

kevzep Its all about the Music Subscriber

I'd go C47 for the same money, job done, I like to have the tone controls, but actually, I never use them!!

4. theoman

I made a offer on C2300 today

5. twiiii

twiiii Addicted Member

Just make list of features for both units in two long columns. Cross off what they have in common and then decide whats the most important and least import. Then cross off the least important and see whats left. I would take the C-47. The 46 doesn't have a 10Khz control, and it doesn't have LOMC. The 47 will have a more up to date DAC. It a shame you can't find a pre-owned C-50 or 52. Have you called AC? Unless you live in NY you won't have to pay sales tax.

joeinid likes this.
  6. theoman

I purchased a C47 from Audio Classics. On the digital side, should I plug in my Opponent CD using the optical? what other digital sources should I try?

7. Chubba

Chubba Active Member

C-2300 Smile.Meant to add happy face.

8. grillebilly

grillebilly Empty Head Subscriber

I bought a C47 from them a few weeks ago.
    It does have tone controls, obviously not on the faceplate. The multi-jog function allows you to do it. A little more of a hassle but I think it has different settings you can store. It has a lot more features than I thought it had when I ordered it.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1039218/Mcintosh-C47.html?page=21#manual

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1039218/Mcintosh-C47.html?page=22

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  9. grillebilly

I have 2 CD players and used one in the coaxial input so it uses the DAC in the 47.

10. theoman

what CD players do you have?

11. grillebilly

Tascam CDRW-900MKII and Onkyo C-7030
    The Onkyo has a good DAC built in and sounds surprisingly good for how much it costs. I got it due to reviews here on AK and liked it so much I got a second one for another system.