McIntosh C47 Firmware V1.00

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by kingstoneage, Aug 21, 2016.

1. kingstoneage

kingstoneage Active Member

Hi folks,
    i got some problems with my C47 preamp. I use it to play Hi-Res files via USB from my iMac. After connecting the C47 with my iMac the settings of my computer detects a C52 and no C47. Strange!!

The internal DAC of the C47 can only handle 64 and 128 DSD files - no 256 DSD files. My program Audirvana Plus 2.3 only shows the option 64DSD and 128DSD - 256DSD isn't activated and cannot be chosen.

Is that a problem coming from my early firmware version?

2. ron-c

ron-c AK Subscriber Subscriber

C47 and C52 use the same operational software. DSD256 is no problem when using JRiver so this must be a problem with your music program. Not that anyone cares about DSD266 files that are silly big.

Thanks,
    Ron-C

3. louisjames

louisjames The "real" Louis James Subscriber

I replied in the C47 thread that Audivana on the Mac shows the C47 as "McIntosh DAC" and supports DSD256 and USB 384k. Whether large files are silly or not the unit is supposedly capable of those rates. I guess trying JRiver or another Mac program might be worthwhile to rule out a software setup issue, or is there a setup param that needs adjustment on the C47? Have you tried doing a full reset? Otherwise a call or email to Chuck at McIntosh is in order to see if he can help resolve it. It's a excellent DAC so you should be able to take full advantage of the features it was built with.

4. ron-c

The problem is the computer settings / music program, not the C47 as it was developed to play DSD256 from day one.

Thanks,
    Ron-C

5. kingstoneage

I tried JRiver and this music program plays DSD256 files as 384kHz flac files.....:dunno:

6. louisjames

Audirvana should have no problem supporting DSD256 and USB 384. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Audirvana? Also, are you connecting via Optical or USB and on your iMac if you're using USB make sure you have the C47 on it's "own" hub. If you're still having trouble Damien is very helpful and you can reach him either via email or the support forum. In any event glad it wasn't the unit!!!

https://audirvana.com/?page_id=1167

https://audirvana.com/forums/

7. kingstoneage

I called the german distributor today, maybe he has an idea......he will call McIntosh!

8. kingstoneage

I wrote Damien an email, i hope he replies......
    I know that Audirvana supports DSD256, the program shows this, but i can't activate/choose it.
    I use the USB of my IMac to connect the C47!
    How i can uninstall Audirvana and reinstall it?

9. louisjames

Delete from Applications and Library and then reinstall from the .dmg. Make sure you have your license file on your computer so you can re-enable everything. If you're uncomfortable wait to hear back from Damien and also ask him if he has any special uninstall / reinstall tips for you. You'll get there, might just take a bit of doing. But Audirvana is definitely worth it imho.

10. kevzep

kevzep Its all about the Music Subscriber

Use J-River, is far more intuitive than Audirvana IMO. I had Audirvana for about a month, didn't like it at all.

Been using J-River since, now they are up to version 22 is really good, easy to use, easy to set up and can play most anything.

The problem you are having is with the settings in your music program you are using, the C47 is just telling you what its being fed, so if it is displaying the wrong bit rate/sample rate, then the problem is between the file and the C47.

Once you figure out your settings you'll be fine.

I would not worry about the C47 turning up on your computer as a C52, they seem to use the same DAC, so there really is no issue there.....

11. louisjames

J-River is a fine software although I prefer the sound of Audirvana with my setup. Though to be fair it's close enough to be splitting hairs. My guess is the license fee has already been paid thus worth setting up Audirvana to work properly. Agree that once the settings or software is setup correctly then things should be a-ok.

12. kingstoneage

I tried my DSD256 songs again on JRiver - again no success......
    My DSD64 albums play fine! What setting i have to do?

Another problem is, sometimes the C47 disappears from my iMac. Then i have to restart my iMac and C47. After disappearing Audirvana stops working (beachball spinning) and has to shut down and restart, JRiver also.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  13. kevzep

In my experience, when I have had my C48 disappearing, locking up my computer and C48, its been the USB cable, most are really bad quality, and if you are playing USB audio, especially hi res files, the physical connection needs to be very very good.
    For example, my 8 year old Macbook has its USB sockets very worn from plugging cables in and out, and now, I have issues with connecting to my C48, I just have to hold my tongue on the right angle, and it works.

So, what is happening is when the connection to the computer is bad and the C47 loses too many packets of data, they lock up, the higher the resolution, the better the physical connection needs to be and easier it is to lose data and the connection and then have lock ups....

You'll have to go into your media player settings and check those are all correct, then go to your Audio Midi settings and make sure its set to maximum for the device (C47) connected and then you should be god to go...

14. louisjames

Definitely try when kevzep suggested by first making sure the Audio Midi setting are correct. A bad cable would also cause issues but something doesn't seem right with the computer / software setup.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  15. ron-c

MIDI settings will determine the data rate played..

Thanks,
    Ron-C

16. kingstoneage

Maybe i found the reason for my USB and DSD problems.....
    image.png

I don't think the USB input of my C47 is correct........
    It lacks some parts!

17. ron-c

Looks like someone yanked the USB cable out and it took out part of the connector. You can order a new socket from parts and solder it in. maybe best to have a service center do this unless you are a soldering ace.

thanks,
    Ron-C

18. 'cisco

'cisco Well-Known Member

As RonC says....your unit is missing that nub in the middle.

My C47 looks just like this....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. kevzep

Well, that's bad, at least we were right about one thing, the connection was bad!!

As a tech working around a lot of digital gear, get it installed, you could cause damage to the unit unless you know what you're doing.
    It's not quite as straight forward as it may seem...

20. kingstoneage

Thanks for your replies!
    I bought the C47 new and i installed my USB cable at day one i got the pre-amp. I changed nothing, the cable sits there since day one.

I'm glad i recognized that now.