McIntosh C47 Firmware V1.00

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by kingstoneage, Aug 21, 2016.

1. kingstoneage

kingstoneage Active Member

Not really......

2. kingstoneage

I guess it has something to do with my iMac or my Audirvana Plus program.
    My first C47 had the 1.00 firmware. My new one has the 1.01 firmware on it. Same issue for DSD256 files......

3. kingstoneage

Maybe my iMac has not the power to handle DSD256.
    It is a Mid 2011 model with i5 core processor and 12GB Ram.

4. rolltide

rolltide Super Member

This definitely isn't the problem. I would however see if you can find an alternative to Audirvana to play DSD files to try some different variables. I'd suggest maybe a free trial of HQplayer or Roon.

(I'd selfishly prefer Roon as this is what I use, and I'm currently trying to sell myself on a C47 but am worried about fiddly firmware)

5. kingstoneage

Just tried the HQplayer with the DSD256 songs - these can't be played native!
    Maybe it is a firmware problem of the C47.........it has the firmware of the C52!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  6. rolltide

rolltide Super Member

Does DSD work at all? As I understand HQplayer, it converts all PCM to DSD. So can you make anything work with HQplayer, or is it just the DSD256 that doesn't work?

7. kingstoneage

DSD64 and DSD128 work

8. Timobi12

Timobi12 New Member

Hey Guys, this may not be the right thread but have a question on the C47. I am using the HT Bypass mode paired with a new Pioneer Elite AVR. Question. So both volume controls are used? I have a MC452 that drives the mains. The AVR driving center and rears. Just hooked it up last night and noticed that both volume controls are active and need to work together. So how does one know to get the right balance? The C47 has to be loud enough to drive the mains...and yet the Elite AVR needs to be at the right level to drive the Center and Rears. Was thinking that when this is set up that the AVR would be the master volume source for 5.1 movies.

9. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

Have you connected a 12v trigger from the AVR to the PASSTHRU trigger input of the C47 as shown in the manual?

10. Timobi12

Timobi12 New Member

No I have not and thats probably the issue. Thx.

11. damacman

Once you've connected that, all will work perfectly.

12. Timobi12

Timobi12 New Member

Dumber than Dumb question :) But I guess I can get that at a local Radio Shack? There's not one in the box.

13. Timobi12

Timobi12 New Member

Picked up the 12 volt cable...but I have another question. Just not getting much setup help from the Best Buy Magnolia guys or I would ask them. But after the 12 volt trigger is connected. The manual requires some activating that? Theres a Trigger 1 and 2, Main, and Passthru. I assume I use the Passthru connection to the 12 volt trigger to my AVR? Does that totally deactivate the volume on the C47 when using the AVR?

damacman likes this.
  14. damacman

Yep! And, it auto sets the C47 to the correct input, disables front panel controls, etc.

Turn on the C47 only - functions as a 2ch preamp only.
    Then, turn on the AVR - PASSTHRU displays and the C47 automatically passes signal from the AVR.
    Turn OFF the AVR and the C47 automatically turns off.

OR ... With all OFF, turn the AVR ON and the C47 automatically comes on in PASSTHRU mode.

Couldn't be simpler.

Add a STEREO 1/8" male to male trigger cable between the C47 and the MC452 and the amp's power is automated as well. In addition, you should be able to turn the meter illumination on/off via the c47 as well. You MUST use a stereo cable (tip/ring/sleeve) for correct operation.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  15. damacman

Oh and if your C47 is like my C200, you choose the audio input you're using for the PASSTHRU feature from the AVR. This is done via the menu, as per the manual.

16. Timobi12

Timobi12 New Member

Ok that worked! Yah! Passthrough was on the screen and the AVR powers it etc....But somehow I have no audio from the Main L & R channels. I think its due to needing another trigger cable from the C47 to the MC452 amp?

17. damacman

You have to set the input for PASSTHRU in the menu!

18. Timobi12

Timobi12 New Member

I did that.. or at least I thought I did.

19. Timobi12

Timobi12 New Member

Got it going! :) Thx to damacman and to McIntosh tech (Chuck)...and some good luck. I had something switched/unswitched...Whatever it was I changed it lol and its ON. So now I continue to have my 2 channel glory AND some wonderful movies to enjoy in 5.1.

20. Mike Gibson

Mike Gibson Modulator Super Mod Subscriber

I love it when a plan comes together. :) I hope you enjoy many hours of entertainment now.

Timobi12 likes this.