McIntosh C47 Firmware V1.00

Hey Guys, this may not be the right thread but have a question on the C47. I am using the HT Bypass mode paired with a new Pioneer Elite AVR. Question. So both volume controls are used? I have a MC452 that drives the mains. The AVR driving center and rears. Just hooked it up last night and noticed that both volume controls are active and need to work together. So how does one know to get the right balance? The C47 has to be loud enough to drive the mains...and yet the Elite AVR needs to be at the right level to drive the Center and Rears. Was thinking that when this is set up that the AVR would be the master volume source for 5.1 movies.
Have you connected a 12v trigger from the AVR to the PASSTHRU trigger input of the C47 as shown in the manual?

Picked up the 12 volt cable...but I have another question. Just not getting much setup help from the Best Buy Magnolia guys or I would ask them. But after the 12 volt trigger is connected. The manual requires some activating that? Theres a Trigger 1 and 2, Main, and Passthru. I assume I use the Passthru connection to the 12 volt trigger to my AVR? Does that totally deactivate the volume on the C47 when using the AVR?

Yep! And, it auto sets the C47 to the correct input, disables front panel controls, etc.

Turn on the C47 only - functions as a 2ch preamp only.
Then, turn on the AVR - PASSTHRU displays and the C47 automatically passes signal from the AVR.
Turn OFF the AVR and the C47 automatically turns off.

OR ... With all OFF, turn the AVR ON and the C47 automatically comes on in PASSTHRU mode.

Couldn't be simpler.

Add a STEREO 1/8" male to male trigger cable between the C47 and the MC452 and the amp's power is automated as well. In addition, you should be able to turn the meter illumination on/off via the c47 as well. You MUST use a stereo cable (tip/ring/sleeve) for correct operation.

Last edited:
Oh and if your C47 is like my C200, you choose the audio input you're using for the PASSTHRU feature from the AVR. This is done via the menu, as per the manual.

Ok that worked! Yah! Passthrough was on the screen and the AVR powers it etc....But somehow I have no audio from the Main L & R channels. I think its due to needing another trigger cable from the C47 to the MC452 amp?

Got it going! :) Thx to damacman and to McIntosh tech (Chuck)...and some good luck. I had something switched/unswitched...Whatever it was I changed it lol and its ON. So now I continue to have my 2 channel glory AND some wonderful movies to enjoy in 5.1.

An interesting anecdote, I use Roon Labs software for music playback, and it shows the C47 not supporting DSD256 as well.

It will never be more then an interesting anecdote as I wouldn't know where to find a DSD256 album if I wanted one, but it does have me wondering if anybody can personally confirm that they have witnessed a C47 playing back this format.

(But only sort of wondering, as like I said, its hard to make myself pretend to care :dunno:)

An interesting anecdote, I use Roon Labs software for music playback, and it shows the C47 not supporting DSD256 as well.

It will never be more then an interesting anecdote as I wouldn't know where to find a DSD256 album if I wanted one, but it does have me wondering if anybody can personally confirm that they have witnessed a C47 playing back this format.

(But only sort of wondering, as like I said, its hard to make myself pretend to care :dunno:)
Hmm,......i still have no idea!
At the moment i own a second C47 which doesn't show the DSD256 ability in my Audirvana Plus program!

Well, as a new C47 owner, only about five months, I have never tried any computer audio on mine and I probably never will.
I will stick to LPs, CDs and streaming. Couldn't be simpler.
My only gripe is the stupid 12v trigger to use the HT bypass.

AB.

:dunno:Mine still doesn't play or show DSD256 in the settings of my Audirvana Plus program......:thumbsdown:

It looks like your only option for DSD256 is to use JRivers. Abandon your Audirvana Plus and use what is known to work with the C47 if DSD256 is that important to you. Don't make it harder than it has to be.

Back
Top Bottom