McIntosh C48 with Subwoofer

MACKIE1975

Is there a way to send only low frequency to the subwoofer and high frequency to the speakers?
Driving a pair of 805 with subwoofer.

Yes, the subwoofer does have cross over built in. The issue is I don't want to send the full frequency to the 805.

Yes, the subwoofer does have cross over built in. The issue is I don't want to send the full frequency to the 805.

What is the make and model of sub?

It matters, specifically, because most subs have low pass filter while some have a crossover that includes a high pass filter. If your sub has a high pass filter then you may be able to send only highs to the speakers.

I don't want to use the subwoofer as a bridge to pass the signal back to the amp. Most of the subwoofer crossover are sub-par in term of quality and it is kind of after thought.

I don't want to use the subwoofer as a bridge to pass the signal back to the amp. Most of the subwoofer crossover are sub-par in term of quality and it is kind of after thought.

I guess you can always send the signal though a complex external crossover or speaker management system. Or, some Harrison Labs F-mods for high pass filter, that are probably about the same component wise as a sub's HPF.

Last edited:
The c 48 has multiple out puts, connect one to your amp and one to the sub. No crossover in the way of the speakers, use the crossover in the sub to make it match with the low frequency roll off of the speakers.

BTW, which speakers, sub, and amp are you using?

Hi, I feel your pain, I just went through the same issue with my C47. I even wished for a sub output on a future MC preamp, but everybody popoed it.
Since the preamp do have two outputs, they could just make the EQ settings programmable differently to each output. Then we could send only the lows to the second output. Since a little electronic low pass crossover is a no no.

The philosophy behind 2 channels is never include the sub. Even a $6k B&W 805D3 speakers don't have enough bass. Love the full range (big speaker) but it is an eyesore and back breaking (2 peoples job).

There are any number of active crossovers to accomplish what you are trying to do. A basic sub crossover is included in most subwoofers of a audio quality that reflects their place in the audiophile pecking order, you get what you pay for.

I know I found the Paradigm and Energy internal sub crossovers to be lacking but the M&Ks quite good. The multi thousand dollar B&Ws and JLs were very good. Sunfires not so much.

It seems senseless to include this satellite/sub feature in a high performance audio preamp while so many choices are available from both sub manufacturers and the pro audio market.

I do own a mid-line B&W subwoofer. If I use the sub to send the signal back to the amp I can tell the lack of punch compare to take the direct signal from the preamp to the amp. It is time to get another sub. Anyway I don't like the mid-line sub from B&W. Kind of overprice.

Well you all just made me remember I have a push pull M&K sub somewhere around the house and I do not know where......

Doesn't Parts Express or somebody have a decent sub crossover you can try that will allow you you test out layering the sub on top of the 805s vs cutting the 805s bass output?

I know that I kept around a Vandersteen dip switch equipped sub crossover that our client's could use to find the correct crossover for their 2CEs at which point we would order a hardwired one to permanently use. Of coarse that was decades ago.

Is there a way to send only low frequency to the subwoofer and high frequency to the speakers?
Driving a pair of 805 with subwoofer.
If you want to not use the internal sub X-over to high pass the signal to the 805's, but you still want the signal to be high passed, then you'll have to use an external active crossover.
The C48 doesn't have that capability on its own.

I would use an active x-over, maybe something like my Lake Contour or BSS FDS366 or something which gives you flexibility to do what you want with the signal and a range of different filters to use so you can get the phase realtionship between the drivers correct....

In my music room system I have a pair of JBL L7's, and they don't have enough low end despite having a 12" woofer....
So I use a pair of 15" Cerwin Vega subs which is run off a QSC Powerlight 1.8, the L7's run off the MC2205. I use my Lake Contour processor as a 2 way stereo active crossover, I choose to use LPF filters (Linea Phase Filters) to cross the subs over...
It works really well.

The philosophy behind 2 channels is never include the sub. Even a $6k B&W 805D3 speakers don't have enough bass. Love the full range (big speaker) but it is an eyesore and back breaking (2 peoples job).
You would h
You would have to get really big ones to match a sub output. I am thinking of getting a Dspeaker 8033S for the sub running on the second output from the C47.

I do own a mid-line B&W subwoofer. If I use the sub to send the signal back to the amp I can tell the lack of punch compare to take the direct signal from the preamp to the amp. It is time to get another sub. Anyway I don't like the mid-line sub from B&W. Kind of overprice.

If the mains are high passed that's entirely plausible. There won't be as much overlap with the sub when the mains are high passed vs. running full range. Of course, that depends as well on the filter point of the sub a d the low end of the speakers.

All that, however, is a different matter than the quality, per se, of the high pass filter itself.

Last edited:
The sub is no big deal, it's just home theater, and my Mac speakers, which are correctly sized for my room, do a confirmed 20 Hz using a parametric MQ104.

The oscilloscope is a big deal however because it is not allowing me to do remote location turntable clinics. I refuse to disable my bench to move my Techtronics.

To bandwidth limit the signal to the 805s you basically need a cap and a inductor to determine the slope.

I would rather do it with a active device before the amp driving the 805s but haven't car stereo guys been doing this at speaker level for years?

Back
Top Bottom