Mcintosh C48

worldwide

Finally Mcintosh decided to put a DAC in a preamp. I have some questions.

1) Does the C48 use a VFD?

2) Does the EQ show a graph on the display during adjustment?

3) What is the voltage of the balanced outputs and are they wired to the
AES standard?

4) How does Ron C. know so much about McIntosh?

Thanks very much,

worldwide

Finally Mcintosh decided to put a DAC in a preamp. I have some questions.

1) Does the C48 use a VFD?

2) Does the EQ show a graph on the display during adjustment?

3) What is the voltage of the balanced outputs and are they wired to the
AES standard?

4) How does Ron C. know so much about McIntosh?

Thanks very much,

worldwide

2) No

3) Rated Output Voltage :
Unbalanced Outputs 1 and 2, 2.5 VRMS
Balanced Outputs 1 and 2, 2.5 VRMS

Maximum Output Voltage :
Unbalanced Outputs 1 and 2, 2.8 VRMS
Balanced Outputs 1 and 2, 16 VRMS

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/1563.asp

4) He works at McIntosh.

1.) VFD = vaccum fluorescent display. As I watch the display on my MA6600 will guess that McIntosh has standardized these (and the interface) across their line and it is an LED display. Lower voltage and longer life.

Thanks for the responses.

The C48 display is different than the C45/46. An LED display makes sense.

Audio Research uses VFD's in their preamps, I think they're classy looking.

Are the C45/46 still being manufactured or is their current availabilty due to the "product pipeline" being emptied, as with the MC402 and MC501?

BTW - the EQ curves are shown in the owners manual on pg 26. You can open/download under "Resources" on the C48 page on McIntosh's website.

By the way, I do like the new display, it looks nice.
I listen to the MA6600 mostly as a receiver (am an FM addict). The display is very helpful for figuring out where on the HD1/HD2/FM dial I am tuned. I also like the RDS display function.

What are the major differences between the C46 and C48? Other than a DAC in the C48.

I can pick up a C46 for a lot less than a C48.

Thanks.

Set points on the EQ on the C46 are considerably lower, with the top one being centered at 4K. The C48, while only 5 rather than 8 bands, has the top EQ band at 10K, which is considered by most users to be considerably more useful. Also, all the digital circuits and I/Os are on their own board and shielded from the analog functions in the C48. Believe you can do a direct comparison on the McIntosh website. While not exhaustive, should give some additional info.

MX117.MC7150,

Thanks for your latest reply and sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.

One of the reasons that I like the Mac unit is because of the equalizer function. Also it's a Mac:D

I'm still torn between the Mac and a Meridian processor. I'm not doing a HT system and really don't need all the features of a processor, but the Meridian has room correction and Trifield, which I like.

The other concern I have is that I may want to integrate a subwoofer into my system, and of course a pre-pro would have a sub out and bass management as well.

Would it be possible to run a sub from one of the C48's main out's and use the low pass filter on the sub for bass management? The other option is a C45 but then I wouldn't get a DAC.

Thanks.

I'm still torn between the Mac and a Meridian processor. I'm not doing a HT system and really don't need all the features of a processor, but the Meridian has room correction and Trifield, which I like.
The MX150 is the one to compare to the Meridian. It has the MEN220 inside and is a pre-pro.

The other concern I have is that I may want to integrate a subwoofer into my system, and of course a pre-pro would have a sub out and bass management as well.

Would it be possible to run a sub from one of the C48's main out's and use the low pass filter on the sub for bass management? The other option is a C45 but then I wouldn't get a DAC.

Thanks.
What you describe is how I run my sub and works just fine.

MX117.MC7150,

Thanks for your latest reply and sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.

One of the reasons that I like the Mac unit is because of the equalizer function. Also it's a Mac:D

Thanks.

worldwide, I just heard a full Meridian set yesterday. A well calibrated McIntosh set with only an MC207 will smash the experience of the Meridian to bits. I just witnessed it yesterday. Don't look back when you're looking Mc.

You could room perfect the 150 and pump up the sub, or change the listening mode. either way, it's better to get the listening curve fine tuned to your listening in the 150, or have it neutral.

I've heard full Meridian and McIntosh systems for years at CES, in addition to hundreds of other components.

I'm not sure what you mean about changing the listening mode?

All McIntosh stereo preamps have a main stereo output and two additional switched outputs or as in the case of C48 just two switched stereo outputs. You can run one to your main amp and use the second one to switch the sub in and out as needed.

Thanks,
Ron-C

Last edited:
Thanks Ron C and thanks to everyone for the responses. I'm leaning towards a processor at this point, and not a Mac.

I am considering an Onkyo Integra processor because of the flexibility/sound quality it offers at a much lower price.

The low-end has caught up to the high-end.

Thanks.

There's a default voicing of listening to Movie, Movie+Action, Music, Neutral modes among others after room perfect is done with the MX150.

Back
Top Bottom