McIntosh comps

Cosmicmes

Factoring in "performance values", long-term reliability, and price, who stands up to McIntosh amps (all types)? Or, to rephrase, who competes with McIntosh for equal or less money? Please don't brand me a heretic

Factoring in "performance values", long-term reliability, and price, who stands up to McIntosh amps (all types)? Or, to rephrase, who competes with McIntosh for equal or less money? Please don't brand me a heretic

There are infinite ways to parse the question with an infinite number of answers.

Suffice to say, there is only one McIntosh for all that McIntosh entails.

There are infinite ways to parse the question with an infinite number of answers.

A Zen Master speaks, I will deep meditate. Thanks, I hear you. Maybe a Hattorri Hanzo sword, then?

I'm a newbie vintage McIntosh owner but I grew up listening to a 1700 at my grandparents house. I've always loved the McIntosh sound and searched for an affordable way to get close. I found no unit that did that better than the Sony STR 6060FW. I'm sure many will scoff at that but I've listened to them side by side through the same system and my ears would be hard pressed to hear the difference....sonically similar. Clean without being bright, smooth without being colored or muddy. Unaffected....musical. I love my MA 5100 but for the money I don't think there is a better receiver than the Sony STR 6060FW

I had DC 150, 150 a, 3- DC 300A, PSA2 and all of them needed to be serviced on regular 8 to 10 year intervals over a thirty year period. Caps of all types need to be replaced every 10 years or so and out puts changed. And when I sold them and traded them to Audio Classics the 300 A's didn't meat specs, so I took a hit. Well none of the amps met specs in fact. Mean while my old Mac amps are still plugging along after 47 years. The newer amps of course are just like new. (2-207's and a 206). When Crown was owned by the church all I had to pay for was shipping to the factory. They repaired them at no cost no matter the age and returned them at no charge. When Harmon took over the hand witing was on the wall, $$$$$$$$$$$, so that was the final push to return to an all Mac systems. Tri-amping and bi amping uses a lot of amps. Can you imagine having to find space for 10 7200's. I could get by with 5 7200's and 5 7100's. maybe 202's would take up less space, but I'm happy with what I have. I knew when the 7200 was introduced the Crowns had met their match and then some. But I was happy and monies were going toward two other pursuits, photography and RVing . But in 2008 I had retired and was home a lot more so I called Frank and we started updating my equipment and repairing units that were showing age.

The reason I got away from Mac amps in the first place was my woofers sound ed soft and Fuzzy as Frank Gow used to say with 2100's 2200's and 2255's. The Crown amps bi and then tri amping curred that though the midrange was a little hard and the highs on the brittle side. The 207 amp fixed everything down to 70 Hz or so. The bottom octave and half isn't as tight as with the Crowns but it is more musical.

I would think Bryston might give long term performance like Mac. I have only heard a few and they remind me of the BGW sound. I don't know about Threshold , Boulder and some of the others. Of the other brands friends of mine Haflers seem to hold up well. They're pushing 35 years without issues. Marantz amps depending on the vintage do well, too. I guess if I were flush with money I'd have 6 MC 3500's. Its really the only tube unit I would be willing to go thru the trials and tribulations of tube ownership with.

Last edited:
I'm a newbie vintage McIntosh owner but I grew up listening to a 1700 at my grandparents house. I've always loved the McIntosh sound and searched for an affordable way to get close. I found no unit that did that better than the Sony STR 6060FW. I'm sure many will scoff at that but I've listened to them side by side through the same system and my ears would be hard pressed to hear the difference....sonically similar. Clean without being bright, smooth without being colored or muddy. Unaffected....musical. I love my MA 5100 but for the money I don't think there is a better receiver than the Sony STR 6060FW

Hmmm, interesting. I used to wonder if my ears could tell the difference, after a certain point when I was thirty. Now that I'm almost sixty, I'll keep your post in mind. THX!

I had DC 150, 150 a, 3- DC 300A, PSA2 and all of them needed to be serviced on regular 8 to 10 year intervals over a thirty year period. Caps of all types need to be replaced every 10 years or so and out puts changed. And when I sold them and traded them to Audio Classics the 300 A's didn't meat specs, so I took a hit. Well none of the amps met specs in fact. Mean while my old Mac amps are still plugging along after 47 years. The newer amps of course are just like new. (2-207's and a 206). When Crown was owned by the church all I had to pay for was shipping to the factory. They repaired them at no cost no matter the age and returned them at no charge. When Harmon took over the hand witing was on the wall, $$$$$$$$$$$, so that was the final push to return to an all Mac systems. Tri-amping and bi amping uses a lot of amps. Can you imagine having to find space for 10 7200's. I could get by with 5 7200's and 5 7100's. maybe 202's would take up less space, but I'm happy with what I have. I knew when the 7200 was introduced the Crowns had met their match and then some. But I was happy and monies were going toward two other pursuits, photography and RVing . But in 2008 I had retired and was home a lot more so I called Frank and we started updating my equipment and repairing units that were showing age.

The reason I got away from Mac amps in the first place was my woofers sound ed soft and Fuzzy as Frank Gow used to say with 2100's 2200's and 2255's. The Crown amps bi and then tri amping curred that though the midrange was a little hard and the highs on the brittle side. The 207 amp fixed everything down to 70 Hz or so. The bottom octave and half isn't as tight as with the Crowns but it is more musical.

I would think Bryston might give long term performance like Mac. I have only heard a few and they remind me of the BGW sound. I don't know about Threshold , Boulder and some of the others. Of the other brands friends of mine Haflers seem to hold up well. They're pushing 35 years without issues. Marantz amps depending on the vintage do well, too. I guess if I were flush with money I'd have 6 MC 3500's. Its really the only tube unit I would be willing to go thru the trials and tribulations of tube ownership with.

GOOD LORD!!! A lot of things to consider. I hope to get into a high-end store this week, and pray that my ears can tell the difference after almost sixty years of use, lol!!!

All I can remember is we had a few in the shop, the factory were reluctant to send parts, and costs seemed to be a little on the high side. Other than that they seemed to be OK.

I know way too much about Arcam.......this could go on forever. What are you trying to find out or do?

Are you trying to put together a system?

I know way too much about Arcam.......this could go on forever. What are you trying to find out or do?

Are you trying to put together a system?

I saw that Amazon has some "deals" on some Arcam's audiophile grade pieces (well that's what "say"). One offering is the P-49/C-49 for $6825.00, for a savings of almost three grand. There are other deals, well, this ain't my first rodeo. I'm strongly leaning towards McIntosh, but I didn't marry my first Girl, either. And yes, I'm putting together my primary audio room having done my A/V room. I have a pair of Klipsch Cornwall III still in the box as a starting point. Somehow, I finally heard my first McIntosh amp today, the MC275. I have to say, I felt as though I've been listening to an old Magnavox console over the past forty years, and felt as though all the money spent would have been better spent on toilet paper. Well, Hell, I'll get over That feeling, but it won't happen again! So any ideas from you guys would really be appreciated. Funny thing, when I "came up" the wisdom around the campfire was, "spend the bulk of your budget on speakers, and get a decent amp, etc". But wow, was I blown away (going back next week to eat some more Humble Pie, my wife isn't into the audiophile "thing").

Accuphase comes immediately to mind, but it is not any cheaper...

jblnut

Thanks! They are beautiful looking, the stats are impressive, but I'm a good 1.5 + hours drive to the closest dealer. After listening to the McIntosh MC275 today, I feel like Frodo, after bearing the Ring.....

Most of us regulars here in the Mc forum have owned lots of other brands of fine gear over the years. There is only one McIntosh. You just found that out - better now than not at all.

When you buy McIntosh, you're making an investment.

I've heard nice things about accuphase. I have very little experience with it though. I also don't know how they price out compared to similar products. I imagine ,given enough time and money, you might find a mixture of brands and products through trial and error that might match up well. I think the intent of the OP question , whether there is a single product line that does so? i'd say no

Back
Top Bottom