McIntosh comps

I've heard nice things about accuphase. I have very little experience with it though. I also don't know how they price out compared to similar products. I imagine ,given enough time and money, you might find a mixture of brands and products through trial and error that might match up well. I think the intent of the OP question , whether there is a single product line that does so? i'd say no

Methinks that you, and most (all?) of the responders on this thread are champions of McIntosh, and that is where I'm headed.

So the question, are tubes the way to go? After yesterday's short visit to the dealer I'm "IN". Granted, I didn't have time to listen to the solid state offerings, I'm curious as to other opinions. THX.

With McIntosh it's difficult to go wrong with either, although SS will be considerably lighter on the wallet.

What kind of budget are you looking at? Are you looking for a complete new system from scratch or simply looking to upgrade the electronics while utilizing speakers you have already?

You may have found something we don't all agree on:D
A lot of tube amps (even the same ones in different generations)
More SS amps.
Almost cult loyalty to our favorites. Like Caddy said speakers sort of help decide (budget too). While again i don't think you can go wrong but i think based on your needs and tastes you can certainly go more right. I know that's not much help. Your ears (and wallet) need to guide you here.
Also for the record if you asked the same question in the fisher or sansui forums, you'd likely be out looking for a fisher or a sansui now (we are a big band of enablers):rolleyes:

I think it really comes down to preference. The MC275 is the most iconic McIntosh tube amplifier and the current VI series is well regarded. You may also look at the MC152 and MC302 in the SS offerings. AKer barsur (Martin) has a really nice write up on the MC152 a few pages deep in this forum.

I think it really comes down to preference. The MC275 is the most iconic McIntosh tube amplifier and the current VI series is well regarded. You may also look at the MC152 and MC302 in the SS offerings. AKer barsur (Martin) has a really nice write up on the MC152 a few pages deep in this forum.

Much appreciated, the MC275 is the one I listened to yesterday, fell in love, but the dealer says that he's on a three month back-order. Damn! Then last night, I saw a fellow online who had two of them for eight thousand, he only lived a couple of hours away. It had been on the "block" for almost a month, and I figured I'd "cool off", for a day. To my dismay, they were bought this afternoon:mad: So, back to the dealer this week, and I'll spend a few hours listening. Not a horrible way to spend an afternoon :beerchug:

You may have found something we don't all agree on:D
A lot of tube amps (even the same ones in different generations)
More SS amps.
Almost cult loyalty to our favorites. Like Caddy said speakers sort of help decide (budget too). While again i don't think you can go wrong but i think based on your needs and tastes you can certainly go more right. I know that's not much help. Your ears (and wallet) need to guide you here.
Also for the record if you asked the same question in the fisher or sansui forums, you'd likely be out looking for a fisher or a sansui now (we are a big band of enablers):rolleyes:
LOL, thanks!

With McIntosh it's difficult to go wrong with either, although SS will be considerably lighter on the wallet.

What kind of budget are you looking at? Are you looking for a complete new system from scratch or simply looking to upgrade the electronics while utilizing speakers you have already?

I'm hoping to keep it under 10K, and I wouldn't cry if it was much below! I have a pair of Klipsch Cornwall III, new in the box (originally they were going to be part of a different project, the seller's speaker dimensions were not in the correct format. I.E., the format looked to be 3 feet deep, they're 3 feet wide. I was wondering why other reviewers were remarking on the footprint so much! That's the problem when restless enthusiasm meets having to shop online. Of course, I could have sent them back, naaaaaaaah :rockon:). Sooo, I'm primarily going to listen to CD's (or DVD-A's, SACDs). The room is decent size, but of course I have to "future-proof" myself, maybe my wife will kick me out, and I'll live in a warehouse :lurk:. As for vinyl, and I still have some master pressings from 1980, I'll have to be totally overwhelmed. So, I guess it'll come down to sound, and how much I want to "chase the dragon".:beatnik:

Many old fisher amps, preamps , integrated amps and receivers were (are) fine pieces. If they're original, they likely (you should read that as definitely) need a thorough restoration to be right and reliable.
Whether you like the sound goes back to your ears.
I have and have /had fisher integrated amps. I also had a ma230 (a hybrid mac integrated. SS pre , tube amp. Same era comparable specs)
I preferred the fisher there. Not implying the conclusion carries over to other products or even that others share my opinion. Merely pointing out personal taste plays a major roll and at the end of the 50s into the early 60s there were some serious players that were enjoyed by many (Fairchild, Marantz, Fisher, Scott, Sherwood, I'd even mention Eico and Dynaco in this group)
None of these brands lasted (Marantz sort of but not really). None had product lines as extensive.
IIRC
At the Mac clinics, only Macs and Marantz met spec.
I'm not trying to confuse you. I stand by my original statement.
Also a 275 would be an excellent match with the cornwalls. IMO
Let us know what you do .

Much appreciated, the MC275 is the one I listened to yesterday, fell in love, but the dealer says that he's on a three month back-order. Damn! Then last night, I saw a fellow online who had two of them for eight thousand, he only lived a couple of hours away. It had been on the "block" for almost a month, and I figured I'd "cool off", for a day. To my dismay, they were bought this afternoon:mad: So, back to the dealer this week, aorrnd I'll spend a few hours listening. Not a horrible way to spend an afternoon :beerchug:

It's early morning, and I've got to get it in gear, so I haven't thoroughly read all the posts above, just skimmed through...but I'm thinking it sounds like maybe you should save some drive time and heartache, and just call the folks at Audio Classics and ask them to get your new MC275 VI out in the afternoon post....my experience has been that they are very easy to talk with, and I saved (a lot) of money when i got a solid state MC2205 and a 275. What? You've got Cornwalls and no 275? Oh, dear....fix that, won't you?
Or go here http://www.vintagevacuumaudio.com/ . This guy makes dreams come true.

(edit: Just to give an opinion for comparo, I've got 2 Fisher X202's, my very first Kenwood solid state beginner amp, 2 big Dynaco 416's (with the add-on Energy Packs), 2 Electro-Voice 200w "Pro" type solid state amps, and a huge Phase Linear WOPL 500watter, a pair of MC-30's, an 8 watt 300B SET amp, and others that I can't think of because I'm coffee deprived right now. But the 275 is the one I'd grab when the house catches fire. Maybe the dog, first. Maybe.)

Last edited:
Many old fisher amps, preamps , integrated amps and receivers were (are) fine pieces. If they're original, they likely (you should read that as definitely) need a thorough restoration to be right and reliable.
Whether you like the sound goes back to your ears.
I have and have /had fisher integrated amps. I also had a ma230 (a hybrid mac integrated. SS pre , tube amp. Same era comparable specs)
I preferred the fisher there. Not implying the conclusion carries over to other products or even that others share my opinion. Merely pointing out personal taste plays a major roll and at the end of the 50s into the early 60s there were some serious players that were enjoyed by many (Fairchild, Marantz, Fisher, Scott, Sherwood, I'd even mention Eico and Dynaco in this group)
None of these brands lasted (Marantz sort of but not really). None had product lines as extensive.
IIRC
At the Mac clinics, only Macs and Marantz met spec.
I'm not trying to confuse you. I stand by my original statement.
Also a 275 would be an excellent match with the cornwalls. IMO
Let us know what you do .

Thanks for your thoughts, and I definitely will.

It's early morning, and I've got to get it in gear, so I haven't thoroughly read all the posts above, just skimmed through...but I'm thinking it sounds like maybe you should save some drive time and heartache, and just call the folks at Audio Classics and ask them to get your new MC275 VI out in the afternoon post....my experience has been that they are very easy to talk with, and I saved (a lot) of money when i got a solid state MC2205 and a 275. What? You've got Cornwalls and no 275? Oh, dear....fix that, won't you?
Or go here http://www.vintagevacuumaudio.com/ . This guy makes dreams come true.

(edit: Just to give an opinion for comparo, I've got 2 Fisher X202's, my very first Kenwood solid state beginner amp, 2 big Dynaco 416's (with the add-on Energy Packs), 2 Electro-Voice 200w "Pro" type solid state amps, and a huge Phase Linear WOPL 500watter, a pair of MC-30's, an 8 watt 300B SET amp, and others that I can't think of because I'm coffee deprived right now. But the 275 is the one I'd grab when the house catches fire. Maybe the dog, first. Maybe.)

Man, you are a true "enablers", this very idea came into my head. I had seen other used sites, but too many seemed like as though getting burned was in the realm of"TFB". I don't even want to think about that, or the consequences.... Today, I expect to make it over to the dealer. or call your guy. THX.

Man, you are a true "enablers", this very idea came into my head. I had seen other used sites, but too many seemed like as though getting burned was in the realm of"TFB". I don't even want to think about that, or the consequences.... Today, I expect to make it over to the dealer. or call your guy. THX.

There are a few online places that are so highly regarded that they are thought of as Mac Family. http://www.audioclassics.com/ is one, and they are 100%. Check out their used list. The other, http://www.vintagevacuumaudio.com , is a well known restorer (expert, if you will...), who doesn't have a big list of offerings at any given time. He just finishes a project or two, and posts them with his price, which is fair. If you see something you like, don't spend a lot of time researching and sleeping on it...it'll be gone, and some other schmuck will be very, very happy for the next 40 years. I don't know for sure, but I suspect he would be willing to take a deposit, and work with you if you need some time to have a bake sale. Or a car wash, since the weather is getting so pretty.

I suggest the MC 275 not necessarily because of any particular virtue or character, but because of it's just so perfectly versatile. It hasn't been around all these years for nothing. It will run just about any speaker I would ever hook it to, not too big, not too small. It's an amp that relieves you of any Buyer's Remorse. You can rest assured you've made a good decision, and it will hold value.

Last edited:
There are a few online places that are so highly regarded that they are thought of as Mac Family. http://www.audioclassics.com/ is one, and they are 100%. Check out their used list. The other, http://www.vintagevacuumaudio.com , is a well known restorer (expert, if you will...), who doesn't have a big list of offerings at any given time. He just finishes a project or two, and posts them with his price, which is fair. If you see something you like, don't spend a lot of time researching and sleeping on it...it'll be gone, and some other schmuck will be very, very happy for the next 40 years. I don't know for sure, but I suspect he would be willing to take a deposit, and work with you if you need some time to have a bake sale. Or a car wash, since the weather is getting so pretty.

I suggest the MC 275 not necessarily because of any particular virtue or character, but because of it's just so perfectly versatile. It hasn't been around all these years for nothing. It will run just about any speaker I would ever hook it to, not too big, not too small. It's an amp that relieves you of any Buyer's Remorse. You can rest assured you've made a good decision, and it will hold value.
So far the MC 275 has me amazed, I have no way of knowing it's the tubes, or really superior engineering. Wednesday afternoon I'll listen to everything the dealer has in the store. He claims that he has a three month waiting list (the demo) apparently not for sale. If he can't be reasoned with, then one or more dealers that youse guyz have recommended will get a bit of ole windfall. Any advice on preamps? Assuming that wrangle a good MC275? Btw, I was looking for the next step up with McIntosh 2 channel, tubed amp, or SSC amp. Any other thoughts? Yes I've crossed the Rubicon into the Land of "Apprentice Geek".

I'm THERE! THX!

Well, THX in large part to the opinions given on this thread, I got off the pot and paid. I already had a pair of new Klipsch Cornwall III speakers, and bought a McIntosh MC 275 (backordered, so I have a MC152 "until"). I paired that with a McIntosh C2500. I already have an Oppo BDP-103 (if I don't like the sound, it'll work nicely with the home theater). I have "stuff" to rearrange, and hopefully it'll sound great. Next, back to vinyl??!!!???

I somehow lost track of this thread, no idea how. As I mentioned earlier I wound up with a MC275, McIntosh C2500, Oppo BDP-105D, a Furman power conditioner, along with the Cornwall III speakers which led me to the SICKNESS. I have to say, that when I played the first cd, "The Best of Santana" (a Japanese "K2HD remastering, FWIW") I was at a loss. I even got my "sceptical" wife to listen, whereupon she said, "when I close my eyes, it's as though I can see where the players are". BINGO!!!! Thirty years ago I was convinced that the SICKNESS was born of marketing, or for those possessing supranatural hearing. Now, I eagerly await my Clearaudio TT, with a a Lyra Delos cartridge. I, I, I couldn't help........myself, no my Precious. This Blog, and, and especially those on THIS THREAD, .......... ENABLED me!!! Oh and thanks again, guys I wonder how many rooms I could setup before my wife "Bakered" me?

Back
Top Bottom