Mcintosh D150 vs Auralic Vega

pinopradino

Hi guys, I'm going to buy a new DAC with DSD capabilities in next days, and I would know if someone has this two DAC's (or have had) and could make a comparison. Where I live I can only try the D150 but not the Auralic, so I'm unable to make a comparison.
My actual setup is: McIntosh MA2275, McIntosh MCD500 (and uctually I use its internal dac with a hiface two connected to the pc) and Klipsch Cornwall3.
Which one would you prefer and why?
Thanks!

Welcome to AK.

For starters I have to say I never heard of the Auralic Vega. I did a quick look at it and it's lacking in flexibility to the D150 and less inputs/outputs. Then you have the fact of the looks and not matching your system. It's hard for me to find just a run down of the specs and it looks like a digital preamp to me, but not seeing how you bi-pass the volume control.

I have the D100 and heard the D150 but not side by side but also didn't hear anything really different, nor read any difference for people who have both on line. Well other than the DSD performance and how happy they are with the unit. The D100 has a huge rep as Macs best DAC in or out of components and has been such for a long time, the D150 is just an updated unit and more flexibility with digital and where mac is going with their components. Like "For SACDs, the unique MCT output connects to select McIntosh models with a MCT input - such as the C52, C47 or D150 preamps - to deliver the purest possible sound quality."

Then the fact the D150 is a stand alone digital preamp that can be used that way or for DAC duty only, a digital hub. If you decide to go with seperate components it can be you preamp, or if you also want a better preamp (Flagship) with phono you can go that way also.

For me I'd go with the D150 and I might step up from my D100 soon.

Last edited:
I have the Auralic Vega and it is a step up in sound over the built in DAC in my C2500 and am very happy with it. But I have to agree with the points said by 4-2-7 as well. I probably would have bought a D150 but I got the Vega for a good price. As far as how it looks with the McIntosh equipment it is on a shelf with the Mac Mini and ads a nice contrast to the look of the McIntosh gear I have.

What did you decide to do? If you got the Vega, you got one of the most critically acclaimed higher end dacs ever marketed. A+ in Stereophile three years running, Editors Choice/Golden Ear award from Absolute Sound, a rave from Hi-Fi News, etc, etc. The head of Auralic, Xuanqian Wang is kind of a wiz at digital audio design. Witness the success of the Aries streamers they market. Good luck whichever way you go.

Sound wise, Auralic is on the cool side and the D150 is little warmer than neutral but not as warm as a tube/hybrid DAC (I have one). Auralic will have more extension on HF than D150. So, the Auralic may not be a good match with your Klipsch Cornwall for overall sound

Back
Top Bottom