McIntosh gear

Could be that the zero point for the meter has shifted; this is a mechanical adjustment that can be effected by shipping. Could also be a shift caused by static electricity, on a nice dry day you can rub the glass with a dry cloth and move the meter with the static charge. The charge will go away in an hour or a day or two, also can be helped along with an anti static sheet from the cloths dryer, pull a used one from the dryer and wipe the front panel, this will help dissipate the charge.

I forgot to ask you something in my previous email.
I noticed that even with the volume knob set at
minimum, the loudspeaker's tweeter produces permanent noise, that
slightly increases, notice 'most slightly', when I increase volume
level.
All this with my cd source turned off.
Then, I live in an old building (40 years), with an old electric
circuit. (For exmple, as my electric circuit isn't 'grounded' I did
have do directly ground the amplifier, using the 'GRN' socket).
Do you believe that low electric 'reliability' could be the answer to
this phenomenon or could it be any internal problem? Or could it be noise induced in the speaker's wires by the power chords?

MX119 w/TM-1
MC207 using four channels to bi-amp my Studio 100 fronts

BBM's (Big Blue Meters) are the way to go!

My "MacSui" gear

Hello my friends!

I have pieced together a very rugged, heavy, and bad ass "Harley Davidson" Mac, Sansui sandwich:

1. Mcintosh MC-2002 (biamped with MC-2155)
2. Mcintosh MC-2155
3. Sansui G-22000 (utilizing preamp section and tuner to drive my proud American steel. I am not found of the sansui receivers as they tend to be overly harsh, bright in the G series (accept the 9090db) however sansui built the finest preamps and tuners
4. Audio control c101 (to tame the wild beasts)
5. DALI 5005's (my first pair of new speakers).
6. ***EDITED to remove AD. Please use the Member Classifieds. Thank you.***
7. Clear Audio phono preamp (basic)
8. Pink Triangle turntable
9. Kimber Kable pbj's

Your comments and suggestions?

Sam :thmbsp:

Last edited by a moderator:
So you do own some Mac pieces, yet you trash them in another thread. Very interesting. 'Sansui built the finest preamps and tuners'? Wow. You are quite the knowledgeable audiophile!

You need to 'tame the wild beasts' with that equilizer? Pathetic.

JR

FZfan:

Dude I am a huge FZ fan. I have nearly every CD (yes, I know that's a lot!) Have you listened to Quadiophilliac on your great system? It is awesome. Exactly what multi-channel audio should be and it was recorded 30 years ago!!!

I was just listening to 'Strictly Genteel'. That is my new reference CD. A great compilation.

JR

Hi Folks,

Just recently entered the McIntosh world. This is setup in my living room as a second system.

MC240
MX-110
Klipsch Forte II
Linn Axis
Grado Reference Master

just sold my rega pre and 4 power amps and bought

pre c-20, first edition (put in all nos telefunken)
mc-240 (has to be checked but sounds rather good),

tuner leak troughline + scott 335 mpx decoder
fisher fmr-1 (being completely overhauled at the moment, bought it in germany for 300 euro, but was not used for many years). will replace the leak if it sounds better (should!)

thorens 124 with rega arm, ortofon spu cart, gsp era gold + gsp exp step up
r2r telefunken m15

all on totem mani-2 which should get another mc-240 to sound really well (maybe 06).

doesn't play too loud at the moment and bass is not in control (which is logical) but sounds already rather good.

Have a pair of Mac 60's and a C11 in one system with a Mac MR80 for a tuner. The basement has a Mac 240 and a C20. When I was young (so long ago) I had the Mac appetite, but a Heath pocketbook. The Heath stuff was also pretty good.

I'm a new AK member. My system is a mixture of older and newer, but I think it sounds as good as a lot of others I've heard costing $$$$ more. I don't really listen to the radio at home, so I don't have a tuner (though I'm thinking about getting one.)

MA 6500 integrated amp
Sony DSP-S7700 DVD/CD
Dual CS 5000 with Shure V15 VxMR
Nakamichi DR-10 cassette deck
JBL L166 Horizons

McIntosh equipment: new or old? tube or ss?

Two years ago I replaced my long time favorites (McIntosh MC240 amp and MX110 tuner/preamp) with a new McIntosh MA6900 integrated amp. The MA6900 was a better match for my 4 ohm speakers. I love the sound music played by the MA6900, I like the blue meters, but I really miss McIntosh tubes; I keep looking at sale ads for new MC275s and older MC240s.

Back
Top Bottom