McIntosh Glass, easy to remove?

Pablo2k

has anyone her attempted to replaced cracked glass?
I have a broken mx132 and mvp841.
Is the glass glued?
Are the lights glued to the glass?
Do knobs and switches come out easy?
Thanks!

They are not all the same, different models come off differently and many need various items, buttons,gels etc. to be transferred from the old to new.

Your toughest challenge will be finding and waiting for replacement glass to be made......

Thank you for the reply.
I got very lucky, I contacted McIntosh Labs and it only took a week for them to ship me one.
I found a tutorial someone made here for a MX119 which is similar.
I hope once I get the glass in my hands, Ill be able to install it without problems...

Maybe for me, yes. I did it for over 50 years. But for some one new, take your time, go easy and make sure you apply equal pressure, you don't want to twist the glass, it won't.

Knobs on all Mc pieces of that era pull straight off. Some aren't easy to get off and can be even more difficult to get back on. But, if the face is broken, you don't have to worry about damaging it by prying a stuck knob off . . .

It’s was a lot of work, but like everyone said, patience...
The glass had white backing unlike the one that was in the unit. I replaced it with original.
I wonder if the white backing meant I didn’t have to put back the acrylic defusser.

Here are some fandoms photos I took.
Thinking about making a video when I replace the one for my MVP841.

https://imgur.com/gallery/onGnB0V

Hey how did you remove the glass for the face plate on mx132? Trying to change the bulbs but having some issue trying to get faceplate off

It’s was a lot of work, but like everyone said, patience...
The glass had white backing unlike the one that was in the unit. I replaced it with original.
I wonder if the white backing meant I didn’t have to put back the acrylic defusser.

Here are some fandoms photos I took.
Thinking about making a video when I replace the one for my MVP841.

Shipping mishap?

Shipping gear is such a crap-shoot. Even new and in original packaging there is some mortality, I’ve read of it on this forum, and I’d imagine it is pretty discouraging when you’ve waited for repair or delivery of your beloved gear.

It’s not new, I have had well-packaged items damaged in shipping for decades, but it does seem to be more common these days.

I've had good luck with asking people to take the knobs off before they box stuff up. 2 MC2205s (already had bad glass - one busted and one bubbled - no additional damage) and a MR78. Seems that many of the pics I've seen of damaged Mac glass involves a hit to a knob, which then transfers to the glass.

I do not have any experience with any of the models you mentioned but I can give some words of advise. The glass and frame come off, and go back on, as a unit. When you change the glass for new is when you dismantle the frames. Make sure the channels that the glass goes in has no leftover tiny glass pieces in them. If there is foam, remove and replace before you put the glass into the frame - prep and clean then reassemble. I prefer felt rather than foam as it lasts longer.
Some or all of this may apply to your particular models.
Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom