McIntosh has a $1,800... clock. (MCLK12)

Ya know, I think it needs an audio out! Different variations of TicToc and various chimes and such. How in the world did they miss that? Maybe it will be in the Super Deluxe, limited edition version with a retail price of 4500.00.
Start saving now!

BillWojo

I like it.Cool concept and very nice looking.Probably uses stepper motors for the movements.Unfortunately,WAY out of my price range for a toy. I'm not worried though;the Chinese will be knocking them off shortly,and probably with free shipping:rflmao:

I agree that there was at least one harsh post, but I am not overly thrilled by your name-calling, either, Tcomisky. Criticism can carry more weight if one does not stoop to the low road.
You are correct, I apologize for the comment. It was a knee jerk response that I shouldn't have pressed "reply".

I happen to love Mac gear, I think the clock is cool but, really? I think Mac is taking advantage of the choir. IMO YMMV:idea::crazy:

Two words......Curtis Clocks....for a 1/4 of the price. Big, bold, well built, and BEAUTIFUL! I have 3 Curtis Mc clocks in my home. Love his work.

I don't see 1800 as a lot for a clock. I have a cherry grandfather clock with tubular chimes (and actually built by my grandfather) that was probably about 3 times the cost of the MAC clock in kit form.

I'm going into my bunker before the stones fly after this post:biggrin:
If i had to guess, Most of the tooling is in place from other stuff. The electronics is nothing. If you had to buy nice cabinet it could cost you a few hundred bucks (5?) Within their costs and scale much less. No money to speak of in the PS, in the clock design or the fabrication. This doesn't have the design and testing costs of bringing a pre or an amp to market. Mac has a loyal following (and rightfully so). They are playing on their name and their customer loyalty here (IMO again). I don't fault anyone for wanting or buying one (or ten). Just saying this is a money grab. Sorry if i'm offending anybody:dunno:

I'll attempt a serious answer to a thread that seems to have gone downhill pretty quickly..

First of all, this looks like a cool attempt at a time piece for a Mac fan. Other time pieces on the market use dials, hands, or electronic displays. This one uses what looks like repurposed Mac meters, those can't be cheap to make in low volumes. Next, the circuitry to control the meters will be unique, again not cheap.

The case, faceplate, and knobs are probably at least partially shared with components that sell for many thousands of dollars.

Add that all up, and then add a premium for a premium brand, and $1800 doesn't seem too unrealistic. Someday, collectors will probably pay a lot more for stuff like this.

bs

I think it's a really cool clock just because it's out of my price range does not make it any less cool. If you own MAC equipment and can afford it, it would be a very nice addition to your set up.
I agree. It is a cool clock and I would like to have one. Just not with my budget.
What was the question!?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom