McIntosh has a $1,800... clock. (MCLK12)

Don't care how much it is, if I could afford it I would have one. It's cool as heck and will probably run for longer than I will be alive. :rockon:

My 2 cents. From a customer' standpoint, there will be a few people who love the clock and have the money and will to spend it on a clock. From the company's standpoint, there is probably a decent amount of profit in this item, so they don't have to sell too many to make back their investment. Actually, the thing that surprises me is that the clock is one of the items available online. I would think the people who buy one are those who shop at brick and mortars and spend a lot of money on their toys. Oh, and I notice the thing weighs 8 lbs. Pretty stout for an item of that size. I bet it has a quality feel and look.
I used to be into watches. I lost interest over time and sold my more expensive pieces. However, if I had been wealthy, I would have loved to have a Patek. If I had, no one I know would have had any idea that it was an expensive watch. They tend to be very subdued. Pretty much the same applies to audio equipment. None of my friends are into audio and would have very little idea how much my equipment costs. Seeing my Focal speakers, they would probably say, "Those look expensive. I bet they cost hundreds of dollars."

Last edited:
$1800 does not buy very much nowadays.... Especially not in the Mcintosh world. Think of it as an expensive collectible. Super cool addition to ones Mac collection in your music room. Honestly price does not seem too out of line to me as it is an expensive toy for the audiophile who has everything.

$1800 does not buy very much nowadays.... Especially not in the Mcintosh world. Think of it as an expensive collectible. Super cool addition to ones Mac collection in your music room. Honestly price does not seem too out of line to me as it is an expensive toy for the audiophile who has everything.
How many are you buying?

It will sure have collector value. Antique Road Show. Pickers endangering life & limb on climb. Sotherbys perhaps. Buy 2. Use 1. Keep #2 unboxed. You can sell both & make $ on both.

While I do kinda like the clock I can't comprehend the cost. Lot's of companies badge all kinds of things (think Harley). If you like it, buy it and enjoy.

Picture this scenario: A super-wealthy celebrity-type is looking over a bid for a half-million dollar system, complete with installation, etc. The dealer senses elements of indecision......And breaks the ice with this: " I'll tell you what...I'll throw in this super-cool McIntosh clock to fill that empty rack space." I think almost everyone here has missed the point. In my days as an audio salesman, we threw in t-shirts, frisbees, extra styli, free delivery, ......almost anything within reason. It works. This is the same thing on a much higher level. Simple marketing.
As a McIntosh enthusiast with many Mc components, I would buy the clock in a heartbeat. Problem is, I simply can't find one.
Regards.
RIP, Terry Dewick

Someone please explain why... that's all.

rQK1w9T.jpg

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-429952-mcintosh-mclk12-metered-clock.aspx
I could buy a decent pre-owned Mac amp for that, or less.

Golly gee whiz. I went back to the beginning of this thread and skimmed through the early comments. That clock isn't my cup of tea but I'm sure as heck not hopping mad angry about it. What the heck.

Murray

Back
Top Bottom