McIntosh Haters

Mac's long history and dealer support are far better than most brands.
Around Dallas, Mac stuff seems to be better taken care of and saw more service than other brands.
I'd compare it owning a Corvette. And it shows in resale prices. Even when 70's gear was at it's low point
for prices, Mac stuff wasn't cheap. And with the trend for all vintage stereo going for big bucks, it's gotten
worse. Even now a deal on old Marantz or Sansui comes up once in a while. Try finding a $20 Mac amp
or receiver.

I personally think we should all convince the entire internet that mac gear sucks so that all of us on this site can afford it:)

but you can afford it, you can get a Mc amp and pre amp for less than the price of an SX 1980, and certainly less than a Sansui G 3300. I was gonna look for a Sansui CA 3000 and a BA 5000 before I ever thought I could ever have a piece of Mc Gear, I bought and refurbed both a C33 Pre amp and an MC 2500 for less than a nice clean pair of sansui's OR a monster receiver, I paid LESS than what some people ask for the other gear AND my stuff is newer and Better than those other pieces mentioned in this post. I just no longer own piles of half-working midfii stuff.. you have to decide, am I going to Collect gear, or just put all my money into the Sound of my rig.

It's a weird feelling after going to the thrift and yard sales looking for another receiver, and now almost all of the stuff thats at the SA or GW I don't need because what I already have is better.

Last edited:
I already have great sound. What I need is more power. I'm a tube guy, and while I'm sure a pair of Dynaco mk3s would make me perfectly happy soundwise, a pair of mc60s would just look soooo much sexier. And those don't come cheap.

It seems to me there are lots of hits and misses with Mac gears, I had a MA6900 for 2 years, which suppose to be top of the line, but it was not as good as 70s or 80s Sony, ill tonal balance, tone control was a must with MA6900.

there could be lot's of reasons for that, not simply the integrated. I find with Mc Stuff it's really best to go the amp and pre amp route, rather than an integrated, I never really cared for any integrateds I have run into.. Get a pre and an amp with autoformers and the sony will disappear. Mac tubes amps when serviced run quieter than Dynaco's. you don't have to do loads of mods to a MAc rube pre to get it to sound good, you just have to make sure it's in spec.

Hmm I think I can speak for many on this site when I say no, many of us can't afford mac gear. And I'm supposed to be more concerned about mac owners who can buy several in one year being able to upgrade? Cry me a river...

The brand really amazes me.....that something which sold for $288 in 1963 and would be about $2,200 in today's dollars new will still sell for $2200 or more used. I'm sure it's not the only brand that has that price stability, but I personally don't know of many other brands that can pull that off.

The brand really amazes me.....that something which sold for $288 in 1963 and would be about $2,200 in today's dollars new will still sell for $2200 or more used. I'm sure it's not the only brand that has that price stability, but I personally don't know of many other brands that can pull that off.

The more funny thing is Mac is more popular in Japan, the home of Accuphase, Luxman, Esoteric, etc. The price of a Mac is more expensive than Accuphase for example, and the Japanese still buy them like crazy.

I guess you don't catch my drift Scottfan^^^^^^if it wasn't for the Mac guys upgrading and selling their used gear then I wouldn't be able to afford it either. No crying on my part; in fact I couldn't be happier:)

Your logic escapes me. You seem to be saying that mac gear needs to remain expensive so that mac owners can sell their gear and afford to upgrade. Wouldn't it be easier to upgrade if it were less expensive? A bit circular methinks.

Certain Marantz tube products would meet McIntosh in terms of long term appreciation, or even exceed it. Tube Fairchild units too.

In turntables, the Thorens TD145 saw some serious value increases as well.

Your logic escapes me. You seem to be saying that mac gear needs to remain expensive so that mac owners can sell their gear and afford to upgrade. Wouldn't it be easier to upgrade if it were less expensive? A bit circular methinks.

The main idea is that equipment that retains, or even increases in value is something worth smiling about - regardless of how the proceeds are used. ;)

I guess you don't catch my drift Scottfan^^^^^^if it wasn't for the Mac guys upgrading and selling their used gear then I wouldn't be able to afford it either. No crying on my part; in fact I couldn't be happier:)
Ah I understand now. You're talking about people upgrading and buying NEW mac gear. That's so far out of my reality as to be unfathonable. And I doubt many mc240 or mc60 owners are selling to buy new mac gear. Hey internet the stuff is worthless pick yourself up a nice 80s Sony instead:)

Hmm I think I can speak for many on this site when I say no, many of us can't afford mac gear.
It's an investment

And this is what ScottFan355 does not understand. I have had some extra pieces that I didn't buy to sell, but only after owning them a short time they sold for hundreds more than I paid.

Most of the time if you buy the good mac stuff you can use it and still sell it for more than you paid. It's free equipment in other words, as long as you make the purchase in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom