McIntosh introduces the MS300

Crystal Ball

I agree - and I'm pretty excited about it. It just makes a lot of sense to use a music server. The MS300 also receives internet and satellite radio!

I've downloaded and read all the manuals on the Escient music server which the MS 300 is based on. I understand how the MS300 intrfaces with the main stereo system. I just haven't figured out how remote systems (by way of ethernet) select and access the server.

Maybe Ron can help us out with this.

VintageMac

With Ethernet enabled devices they will treat the MS300 like a secondary hard drive. The MS300 will ship with a handheld remote, a wireless keyboard, and any video screen can be used to show the cover art and music storage selections by type, Rock, Jazz, easy listening, etc. It outputs composite, 'S" and Component video. The songs are identified as well as stored CDs by Gracenote and the cover art comes from a Escient data base.
Simply connect the MS300 to a router and ask it to update the music base and it will do the rest automatically. I had it do the cover art and song, CD titles, for 101 CDs I downloaded, it took all of five minutes.
I will be trained on this in depth next week so we can better answer your questions.

Thanks again,
Ron-C

Okay guys you all can start rolling on the floor laughing your whatever off but I am still not accepting of digital readouts on thusers so I gotta ask. Is this like a computer without keyboard that has a BIG H.D. and software to simply record and playback music from a CD, etc. or from an on-line web source? Music server; I have visions of a jukebox from the 50s with a neo-geek name atached.

Brian,

The MS300 is like a single play McIntosh CD player in that it had a center drawer, and front panel play controls. The rear panel has digital and stereo analog outputs. You put a CD in and it plays. If you like the CD you can store it digitally on the built in 300GB hard drive. Simply hit record and select the songs or the whole CD on the on screen display. You can use whatever TV monitor you have. You will now have the original CD and a copy of same inside the machine. If you purchase AUDIO CD-R blank disks you can also make a copy of the disk for your car or to give to a friend.

Thanks,
Ron-C

... but ... through its Ethernet connection ... you can also manage it via a computer, that sees it as one big hard drive right?

Okay, I'm dense so bear with me. You put the CD in a CD reader. Got that I do it with my computer. I play the CD which I can do with my computer. I can record it to the HD. I can do that on the computer then write a disc. I can do that on my computer. Outputs, yep got those. On screen display - not sure what you'd be looking at but I have my monitor and it shows a playlist (think that's the term). Computer has CD and DVD drives, MS300, no DVD. Okay, I got it! It is a computer without a keyboard. Admittedly, my monitor is only 21" so maybe limited. Okay, my computer does not say McIntosh but my kid's unit says MacIntosh and Apple licensed it from McIntosh.

Now, addmittedly I only have a a 120 gig and 300 gig h.d. in my computer.

Ron-C, I have to admit, I don't get it. What is the market for this? If it were DVD or and could hook into the HT as well maybe, but since I'm not into that either. I did finally take an old receiver and pair of speakers and hook them to my 20 year old tv.

Obviously, I'm not the target market. I'll now turn my back, thurn up the volume on my C28/MC2105 and lean back and listen to music using my Empire 598III turntable through my Bozak Symphonys.

Sounds interesting and similar to what I'm doing with my Mac computers, but I can also stream music to recievers (AirTunes and Airport Express) connected to other audio systems via my in-house wireless net.

Question: Is there a way to back up the data on the MS300's HD to an external drive or something?

-dave

That's a good point on the streaming part. Hmmm...

Now Brian ... your whole argument does not wash. This is a great advancement. Let's flip the tables ...

Did you know you can buy a thing called a CD Player ... which the only thing it does is play CD discs!! Egad. And you can buy ones from Wadia or Zanden or Reimyo and spend $10K. And you can't hook up a monitor to it. Or play Quake or surf Google. Even can't print off emails. I just don't get it ... what a waste of money.

See what I mean!

Computers and audio gear have been converging for years. And just because your kid's MacIntosh computer can play CDs, does not mean it will play them as well as a McIntosh. You know that for sure. Some people think remote controls are unecessary (I appreciate the convenience) so what's the problem with using a computer to control a digital disk playing machine.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm thinking of getting an Apple Mac mini to use as a wireless music server. iTunes already has the wireless streaming (Airtunes) feature built-in. Just get a Mac with an Airport Extreme card installed along with an Airport Express module and you're ready to go. Airtunes uses the Apple Lossless codec for streaming.

The McIntosh MS300 is interesting but with the money I'll save I can start saving up for a McIntosh Blu-Ray/HD-DVD combo deck. I think CDs are a dying breed anyway. A next-generation audio format will spring from the above while the masses will be content with their downloads. If McIntosh would come out with a turntable now that would be something!

Music Server

With the MS300 you can store your entire CD collection! It makes an exact copy only taking up half the space. You can then set up play lists (like you may do on your computer) and then listen through your stereo system.

You can also access the music from elsewhere in the house via the Ethernet cable (or wireless if you prefer).

It also tunes any internet radio station and is also capable of receiving satellite radio.

It replaces those multiple CD players giving lots more flexibility to access your music. And, it isn't dependent on a noisy computer to do it.

The monitor is for setting up your play lists. Although this can be done on your Ethernet connected computer as well.

It has lots of possibilities!

VintageMac

Backups

Since it is connected to your LAN you can back it up to one of your other connected computers.

VintageMac

Bits is bits. You can back up the MS300 on any properly sized hard drive or back up your computer on the HD300. The MS300 does use a long life hard drive with a 10 year average life at 24 hrs per day use.
The MS300 is not a product for everyman but is a great way to access and enjoy a large CD collection.

Ron-C

Back
Top Bottom