JBL 4333AWX & McIntosh DREAM system!

Stereognat

Someone once told me that “it’s impossible to find what you’re looking for because you’ll never be satisfied" - it’s true that my previous systems never held up to my expectations, but that hasn't stopped my quest of finding the "Holy Grail".

JBL 4333AWX Studio Monitors

After researching for many months, I was shocked to find that a company called Kenrick Sound was restoring JBL studio monitors. This time, I decided to start off with a pair of JBL 4333AWX studio monitors from Kenrick Sound to get my feet wet, before upgrading to a much bigger model in the future.

Kenrick Sound:

If you haven't heard of Kenrick Sound, you can easily find them on Google. Kenrick Sound is world famous for restoring & modifying legendary loudspeakers. The firm specializes in JBL speakers specifically. Kenrick Sound is located in Otaku, Tokyo, about a 35 minute taxi ride away from Harajuku. They're also located in Joliet, Illinois. Kenrick Sound has a wonderful reputation in the USA and in Europe. Kenji & Rick are extremely knowledgeable about horn speakers in general and about JBL in particular. The reconditioning work Kenrick Sound performs on speakers elevates them to a sound quality and a fit and finish quality they did not possess when brand new.

The reconditioning work Kenrick Sound performs on these speakers elevates them to a sound quality and a fit and finish quality they did not possess when brand new. Here's just a small portion of work that goes into these: http://jbl43.com/?mode=f5#ma1. Kenrick Sound offers many upgrades like the Russian MIL-spec high-grade selector switch, which will replace the older one http://blog.kenricksound.com/2011/03/jbl4343mil.html, and Cardas CCGR speaker terminals (short billet copper posts, rhodium over silver plate, billet copper nut, gold plate, glass filled nylon insulator). You can even buy stands for your JBL model if you've got the coin.

How do they sound?

The JBL 4333AWX studio monitors are without a doubt, incredible. We compared them to the Altec Lansing 604-8H III from my previous system http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/altec-604-8h-iii-gpa-mcintosh-dream-system.716559/, the Pioneer HPM-1500s from Lucas, the JBL L-300s from Danny, and the Bower & Wilkins 800 D3 (Diamond) from Richard.

Lucas, Danny, and Richard said that the JBL 4333a's sounded a lot better than the others; though to be fair, the more obvious difference was between the Pioneer HPM-1500's, the Bower & Wilkins 800 D3, and the Altec Lansing 604-8H III. Visuals can often affect how a person perceives sound, so this was done during a blindfold test with the help of a family member. We probably looked like children, but we had to know which pair of the five speakers sounded the best.

Surge protector:

For the people that don't know, BrickWall has been building the same surge protectors for almost 40 years. There are no gimmicks or tricks when you buy from them. Their products were designed with longevity in mind, as the surge protectors from the 1980's are still functioning to spec. Instead of using MOV's in their devices, they’ve implemented a patented, proprietary method of surge protection.

Any surge protector that uses MOV's (which is the vast majority regardless of price point), can be dangerous since MOV's deteriorate with each hit they take while serving their primary function and can spontaneously light on fire once they have deteriorated to the point where they can no longer function as designed, and IMO don't even do that good of a job protecting your gear.

Pictures:

u7iQHSM.jpg

9KZX0hW.jpg

W6ldHEo.jpg

kwDjEE7.jpg

YekLlBa.jpg

RaNJEgS.jpg

G5LDOs4.jpg

wdrntf3.jpg

sxGmsCx.jpg

Last edited:
:eek2:WOW!!!!! Jesus, you are the luckiest guy ever. My hat is off to you sir. THE BEST SYSTEM I've ever seen and my most favorite speakers.. I want your JBL speakers so bad I'd trade my left nut. I'm super jealous, ugh >.<. Upload some videos so we can have just a small taste of it’s beauty.

OMG!!! What a fantastic looking set up!! I'm betting it sounds as great as it looks and should give you many years of enjoyment; Congrats to you on finding your holy grail:thumbsup:

:bowdown:They are BEAUTIFUL, Lioh. Wow, what I’d give to have that. I’ve been following you from Steve Hoffman and Knzshu, but after hearing your system, I had to make a comment. I never thought that anything would sound better than my Bower & Wilkins, and boy was I wrong. I was really wrong and you’ve made me think that I fell into the snake-oil we talked about when I purchased those Bower & Wilkins. I’ll be sure to get YOUR advice for my next system.. mine seems insignificant compared to yours. Your system is definitely incredible and unique, and now I’ve decided to sell my stuff in hopes to get something else. Look what you’ve done! It won’t be as nice as yours, but anything better than what I have now, man that hurt. I will swallow my pride as I have bought Bower & Wilkins most best speaker, and I’m extremely jealous right now of Lioh. Hell, we even tested my expensive cables with speaker wire and it didn’t make a single difference to any of us. The truth hurts sometimes, but hey it’s all an experience. Lioh, you are awesome. Must of required tons of patience to research and wait for everything to come together. I have great respect for you.

Jesus Christ…… I wish I had that in my house. These are my favorite studio monitors. Such an enormous importance to them, but I forget the background story. Shame I’ll never have the money to buy them someday =( those are gems. You are so fortunate to gets those speakers. I also LOVE the grain pattern on those, too……. definitely one of a kind…. thats for sure.

:whip:Lioh, your speakers made my Pioneer HPM 1500’s look like a joke, literally. Someday I hope to have a pair and set-up just like yours, though, I will never get the chance to own something this incredible AND breathtaking. I got the goosebumps just hearing them, let alone looking at them.. I must acquire these from Kenrick Sound somehow.. RIGHT THIS INSTANT.. I need to sell everything I own.. help..:wtf:

That is truly a magnificent sight to see and I can only imagine what it must sound like!
Thanks for sharing!!

Thanks for the very nice write-up Marc, I'll be waiting for your soon to come videos. Can't help but notice you got a good protection unit given what happen before. Good move and a little peace of mind.

Congrats on finding what you were hoping for. It's a real epiphany when you achieve a goal like this, no matter what it may be. I just thelped a client find a once in a lifetime Marantz 9 based system, and he is forever grateful.
For me, I hit a few marks this year, and cost aside it was other worldly. I use the setup I have now more than any other I have had before.
I wish you many hours, weeks, months and years of listening pleasure and discovery.

That's a fantastic setup, and Kenrick is the real-deal.

Oh, and by the way, here's the list of dimensions of your 4333 from the JBL pamphlet in the Lansing Heritage web site. How far off are those dimensions from yours?

page3.jpg

And here are the 4333A dimensions, slightly different:

page4.jpg

Last edited:

Jino just told me about this thread!! Lioh, THESE ARE BEAUTIFUL! :bowdown::eek2:Those JBL 4333a's are my favorite JBL Studio Monitors!! I need to order a pair from Kenrick. Your article was SUPER! And informative! I sent you a PM. Let me know what to do because I'd like a set-up just like yours. I wonder if Kenji has any other JBL 4333A WX Studio Monitors. How long did you have to wait?!!?!

Jino just told me about this thread!! Lioh, THESE ARE BEAUTIFUL! :bowdown::eek2:Those JBL 4333a's are my favorite JBL Studio Monitors!! I need to order a pair from Kenrick. Your article was SUPER! And informative! I sent you a PM. Let me know what to do because I'd like a set-up just like yours. I wonder if Kenji has any other JBL 4333A WX Studio Monitors. How long did you have to wait?!!?!

3-4 Weeks! :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom