McIntosh Labs launch new MS500

MACKIE1975

Sound very interesting
https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/media-streamers/MS500

"The MS500 runs ultra-quiet thanks to two key features. First, local music and the operating system are stored on a durable 500GB solid state drive (SSD) that has no moving parts to create noise; second, a new fanless processor combined with improved ventilation means noisy cooling fans are not needed. The combination of these two things results in there being no noise to interfere with music listening."

MS500-Front-Top.jpg

MS500-Back.jpg

If your music is stored on a cloud, on a flash drive, or a SSD on your computer,or on a DVD why do I need this gadget. Just plug into or play on the MCD 600 and go for it.

Also, all of these "TuneIn Radio" support streamers lack QuickTime support which many Internet Radios use as their interface to stream their radio stations. Simply supporting MP3 or AAC isn't enough for the majority of Internet Radio stations.

The MS500 is basically a MB100 featuring a (smaller) SSD instead of HDD, a redesigned cooling system and it doesn't even have a display. It uses the same App as the MB100, which is way outdated compared to other solutions on the market, the web interface is still the same old flash page which will not be supported much longer. Unless they have made significant improvements to the operating system, such as scrolling back/forward during playback, getting rid of the DAC cracking noise when selecting next track and a few other issues, I don't see why anyone would want to buy this unit. Even the remote is good for nothing except switching the unit on and off. I personally own a MB100 and I absolutely love the beautiful display, which is the main reason why I still hold on to the unit. But in terms of user experience regarding the app, even Auralics Aries mini does a better job. I can only hope the come up with a complete overhaul of the operating system and app, but I have my doubts as everything is still powered by Autonomic

Back
Top Bottom