McIntosh MA252

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by welcomdmat, Nov 13, 2017.

1. JWJW

JWJW Bun E. Carlos

Any news when Mc will start shipping?

welcomdmat likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. twiiii

twiiii Addicted Member

Older pre-amps signal to noise was referenced to 10 mv unweighted. Now some of the preamps are measured against 5 mv or 2.5 and are A weighted which approximates the ears sensitivity at low listening levels. Its all bit confusing when a MP 100 is a few Db quieter than the C-34 phono input signal to noise of 90 db versus the MP 100 signal to noise of 82 db A weighted. I under stand the A weighting, but prefer they didn't as most other manufacturers don't. It makes for difficulty comparing different units. But then all manfactureers like to fudge or have their equipment shown in the best light. .

Bill Ferris and welcomdmat like this.
  3. JWJW

JWJW Bun E. Carlos

Still no word on a ship date?!?!? :-(

4. rxonmymind

rxonmymind AK Subscriber Subscriber

Grasshoper here.....:lurk::music:

5. joeinid

joeinid AK Subscriber Subscriber

I think the MA252 could be an absolutely fun addition to the McIntosh enthusiast. Of course the early photos did not appeal to me, but now I really like it.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  6. JWJW

JWJW Bun E. Carlos

Looks great.....too bad Mc can't tell us when it's going to ship. My dealer can't find out and I've left 2 messages at the factory. :(

joeinid likes this.
  7. welcomdmat

welcomdmat AK Subscriber Subscriber

Does anyone own this yet? My dealer is not a local brick and mortar (I don't even have those for Sony), but I know they have gotten a couple.

I would be in debt to anyone for the time it would take for some real life photos and impressions where things were hooked up and not just in the corner of an audio show.

8. Mamrak1

Mamrak1 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Okay. I called a Mac dealer I deal with. He says that McIntosh is being flooded with orders and they can’t keep up with producing enough of them. He suggested that anyone interested in the 252 should place a down payment. Otherwise you will wait months to get one. (Don’t expect to walk into a store and take one home without a pre-order.) Having said this, the dealer said he should be seeing the first ones come into his store late January.

PS, the dealer said he had one unit sent to him for evaluation. The store staff was very pleased at what they heard. They didn’t get to keep that one.

rxonmymind and joeinid like this.
  9. rxonmymind

I bet these would sound killer on my Wharfedale Denton's & Klipsch Bell's. Excited to hear someone's full review of these. My last audio purchase will be some form of separate McIntosh pre/power or this. I'm done with receivers. Need to try tubes. This looks absolutely amazing.

joeinid likes this.

10. joeinid

joeinid AK Subscriber Subscriber

This MA252 is absolutely growing on me too and will be finding it difficult to resist in the coming year. :)

Can’t wait for you guys to get yours. Looks like a great time to be a McIntosh fan.

11. 62caddy

62caddy Trust but verify Subscriber

Glad to hear the MA252 is doing well. It seems to suggest the reports of the audio industry's demise have been greatly exaggerated. :rolleyes:

joeinid likes this.
  12. welcomdmat

welcomdmat AK Subscriber Subscriber

I just want to update. My dealer called yesterday to say he had some in stock. Not many, and I can't pull the trigger at this moment.

I am sure that he called a number of people, so I don't know that these will hang around.

rxonmymind likes this.
  13. rxonmymind

Ah, the trap is set, the bait irresistible unable to move strapped to huge cables.The scent & sound of new Mac gear hangs in the air drifting, calling out to the ever rare & reclusive Macintaurus Rex.
    Question is...will he come?

Oh yes...oh yes.:naughty:

joeinid likes this.
  14. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Super Member

By the way, why is it called "252" if it outputs 100 wpc into 8 ohms? Why not call it "MA2100"? Product name is a little confusing.

15. 62caddy

62caddy Trust but verify Subscriber

Possibly because the 2100 number is already designated to another model. Just a guess.

16. jimimac

jimimac Active Member

Gateway product ✝️

17. jimimac

jimimac Active Member

Ron C.