Mcintosh ma5100

lahughes3

I don't get on here much, but I just wanted to say that I got a great deal on my 5100. I have wanted a Mcintosh for many years!
My office is pretty small, so this amp is perfect. I have some Marantz stuff, but I can tell you the Mcintosh spanks the Marantz. Stan Getz and Gerry Mulligan have never sounded better!

I recapped and deoxited (is that a word?) an inherited MA5100 that I almost threw out it was in such bad shape. After the recap, i saw what a mc could do. It sounded so good I replaced my main stereo receiver with the MA6600. I still use the MA5100 with a pair of magnepans in my office and love it.

The MA5100 is a gem. Sounds light years better than a MA230 (I have owned three), sounds better hands down compared to a MA6100 (had these too), and to me sounds better (well, sweeter in the old-timey way) than a MA6200.

I really like them, and they are VERY UNDERRATED.

MA500 was my first McIntosh, bought it new about mid sixties, turned out totally trouble free and an ideal amp for the vinyl era, later I moved up to 2105 & C28 combo.
One negative about MA500 is the higher hiss level compared to later Mac systems, you will hear it with large and efficient speakers, not a problem with pop/rock but audible with classical.

Vahe

I also have a MA-5100. It is great. Am getting older, ears as not as good as used to be. Sounds good to me. Also use a MC 240, 2100, two MX-110 Z's and Mc speakers, Klipsch Herseys, Fraziers, JBL's , Watkins, and many others, can't tell the diff.

The MA5100 is a gem. Sounds light years better than a MA230 (I have owned three), sounds better hands down compared to a MA6100 (had these too), and to me sounds better (well, sweeter in the old-timey way) than a MA6200.

I really like them, and they are VERY UNDERRATED.

Wow...I love the sound of my 6100 (my first and only mac). What is it about the 5100 that makes it so sweet? Or should I ask, what did they do to the 6100 to sour the sweetness?

There is nothing wrong with a MA6100...just are due for a modern go through.

Count D is a pre '68 type guy.

I really-love that 1st-generation solid-state stuff. I think the 5100 originally-sold for like $450-495, which wasn't bad at all considering it's a McIntosh integrated. Definitely-not the case today.

Advice from a tinkerer: don't fix what isn't broken. I did replace the power caps, which distinctly improved the sound (bass), and then other 'lytics as well. I also bypassed the preamp, which did improve fidelity. Later I replaced output transistors, thinking to improve things, but now my MA5100 doesn't work, perhaps because the replacements from McIntosh have smaller gauge leads, or else I made a stupid mistake (aside from doing this in the first place!).

Advice from a tinkerer: don't fix what isn't broken. I did replace the power caps, which distinctly improved the sound (bass), and then other 'lytics as well. I also bypassed the preamp, which did improve fidelity. Later I replaced output transistors, thinking to improve things, but now my MA5100 doesn't work, perhaps because the replacements from McIntosh have smaller gauge leads, or else I made a stupid mistake (aside from doing this in the first place!).

How do you bypass the preamp section and still have a integrated?

Did you replace the TO66 case style tranistors with tab style? if so did you jumper the collector?

Any update on the broken 5100? I aquired a 5100 with a distorted right channel. Will be recapping soon.

I would search out a noisy semiconductor first......rebuilding the power supply is a given for these 50 year old units but noise in one channel points to a transistor issue.

Time to get out the ocsiliscope and probes.

Was it left for dead?

Back
Top Bottom