Mcintosh MA5200 from US to UK

Hayduke77

Hi and thanks in advance to anyone with any experience or advice on this one.

I'm moving to the UK in January and have a MA5200 integrated. Of course I want to bring it - but need to know the proper gear to buy to use it in the UK (220v). Can anyone recommend a great step-down transformer/converter that's less likely to damage the unit (and hopefully somewhat quiet)?

Thank you!!!

I'm moving to the UK in January and have a MA5200 integrated. Of course I want to bring it - but need to know the proper gear to buy to use it in the UK (220v). Can anyone recommend a great step-down transformer/converter that's less likely to damage the unit (and hopefully somewhat quiet)?

Thank you!!!
Suggest you contact Mcintosh customer service.

Also, in most areas of the UK the mains voltage is closer to 240V, for example where I am now is 238V - so if you have a choice, have it internally set to 240V rather than 220V - or as you have mentioned use a Step-Down transformer from 240V to whatever voltage the unit is set to now 110V ? ;)

The 'standard' UK mains voltage is supposed to be 230V, 50Hz - but for a long time before that it was 240V +/-6% and a lot is still like that today.

Last edited:
Also, in most areas of the UK the mains voltage is closer to 240V, for example where I am now is 238V - so if you have a choice, have it internally set to 240V rather than 220V - or as you have mentioned use a Step-Down transformer from 240V to whatever voltage the unit is set to now 110V ? ;)

The 'standard' UK mains voltage is supposed to be 230V, 50Hz - but for a long time before that it was 240V +/-6% and a lot is still like that today.
Factory McIntosh units are set to 120VAC nowadays, used to 117VAC.

Interesting - thanks for that. So would something like this work? Do I have to worry about the 50Hz or how long it's running?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00H1ZVC3Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A11IPLSR49VH0N&psc=1

Thank you!!!
I think most of MAC units have power transformers wired to suit 120 and 220-240V. I have brought my MR-77, C28, MC2100 to China. They were all rewired by myself. The US version as two primary windings in parallel.What you need to do is to wire them in serial. I couldn't find the schematics of MA5200 online. I suggest that you open the bottom of the unit. There should be a wire tab from windings of power transformer.

I think most of MAC units have power transformers wired to suit 120 and 220-240V. I have brought my MR-77, C28, MC2100 to China. They were all rewired by myself. The US version as two primary windings in parallel.What you need to do is to wire them in serial. I couldn't find the schematics of MA5200 online. I suggest that you open the bottom of the unit. There should be a wire tab from windings of power transformer.
Very different scenario nowadays, its not just the primary windings that have to be changed, there is the permanent power that the unit uses in standby mode, its more complicated with these units now and not as straight forward as it used to be.
You wont get the service manual or schematics for a McIntosh as new as the MA5200.
So, unless you can find the actual service bulletin for the voltage conversion, do not take the cover off and "have a look"...

Very different scenario nowadays, its not just the primary windings that have to be changed, there is the permanent power that the unit uses in standby mode, its more complicated with these units now and not as straight forward as it used to be.
You wont get the service manual or schematics for a McIntosh as new as the MA5200.
So, unless you can find the actual service bulletin for the voltage conversion, do not take the cover off and "have a look"...

I’d say I’m far from qualified to do any rewiring even if it was an option. But you seem to be correct that the modern US ones seem to only allow 110. McIntosh gave me a name of a service place on the other end of the country.

Does anyone have any experience with step-down transformers? And if so can they recommend a reliable one or at least with the proper specs? It would be greatly appreciated and I wish I knew more about this!

Thanks to all.

I’d say I’m far from qualified to do any rewiring even if it was an option. But you seem to be correct that the modern US ones seem to only allow 110. McIntosh gave me a name of a service place on the other end of the country.

Does anyone have any experience with step-down transformers? And if so can they recommend a reliable one or at least with the proper specs? It would be greatly appreciated and I wish I knew more about this!

Thanks to all.

All modern US McIntosh is 120V not 110....US power since McIntosh has been around has always been 117VAC, so older McIntosh is 117VAC or 230VAC.

Our power in New Zealand is supposed to be 230V +/-6% but its always closer to 240V.

I run my C48 and my MEN220 off a step down transformer, I just have a 500VA running those. But if you are running an integrated like the MA5200, you would need to go around 1500VA.
Bare in mind transformers buzz, some worse than others, I have mine sitting on a piece of dense foam which helps it not mechanically conduct the vibrations..

All modern US McIntosh is 120V not 110....US power since McIntosh has been around has always been 117VAC, so older McIntosh is 117VAC or 230VAC.

Our power in New Zealand is supposed to be 230V +/-6% but its always closer to 240V.

I run my C48 and my MEN220 off a step down transformer, I just have a 500VA running those. But if you are running an integrated like the MA5200, you would need to go around 1500VA.
Bare in mind transformers buzz, some worse than others, I have mine sitting on a piece of dense foam which helps it not mechanically conduct the vibrations..
Thanks, going to get one on Amazon. Any recommendations on brand or ones that might make less noise?

Thanks, going to get one on Amazon. Any recommendations on brand or ones that might make less noise?
The transformers I have here are all made in New Zealand by the Auckland Transformer Company, I've had them for 25+ years, so they are quite old.
One is quieter than the others, but as for brands, I am not really sure, I guess buying off Amazon its likely to come from China, not necessarily a bad thing, but leaves little option for trying before you buy....
Maybe try and have a look at some locally first?

Back
Top Bottom