McIntosh MA6100 info

trip1

I can't find much info on this MA6100. Where it fits in the McIntosh line of integraded amps. What is the going price for one today in excellent condition?
How it stacks up against the Fisher, Marantz and Sansui's of the day?

3rd generation.
MA230
MA5100
MA6100

Best of the 3 in that it has the preamp output, amp input. I am not particularly a lover of it but when used as a preamp or power amp, it is quite good. This makes it a vey decent way to test the McIntosh waters and move up.

I can't find much info on this MA6100. Where it fits in the McIntosh line of integraded amps. What is the going price for one today in excellent condition?
How it stacks up against the Fisher, Marantz and Sansui's of the day?

Well to be clear the other 3 are receivers.

The unit was at the time a great sounding piece. Sort of like a 2505 and a C-27 or 26. Maybe a 502 and a C-27. Anyway the 6200 was a big advance and the 6300 another step up the ladder. By the time you get to the 6450 and others you are approaching the modern integrateds. We sold them to folks who had Bozak 302's and Symphonies who didn't want to bi-amp or didn't have room for separates. They worked well with Altec, EV, and smaller Mac speakers, too in small spaces. They were are step up from Mac receivers that didn't have the flexibility the 6100 had similar to a Mac pre-amp. They fit well in Bozak and Barzilay cabinets. People on the Bozak systematic growth plan would start out with a TT and 6100 and a B-300, then add the parts to make a 302, then add a tuner, and maybe a Nakamichi cassette later on. We always installed whisper fan or fans to keep everything Cool. Panloc made things simple for servicing.

6100's had all the power a Klipsch owner would need, but were sold mostly with Cornwalls and some folks used them with Belles but that may have been 6200's. Having moved on to separates and finally gotten my pair of matched 275's for my Symphonies and Grands, I was really sur prised the first time I heard 6100 with Symphonies. The sound was better than my 240's had been and the 6100 really controlled Bozak woofers, taking away some of the un-necessary warmth.

I'm listening to a MA6100 on my desktop system now. I purchased it from that auction site we all know and had it refurbed at Audioclassics (re-capped, new glass, and new gold-platted RCA jacks). I wouldn't pay more than $1k for a 6100, and that would be for a fully restored unit with papers to prove it.

That being said - I love my unit. Even though it's driving meager speakers (Pioneer Andrew Jones monitors I got for $50), the imaging is laser sharp. With certain music, it rivals my Martin Logan setup (in terms of coherent sound-staging). I know there are some Mac fans that don't particularly care for it, but I'm pleased as punch with my 6100. It's definitely a gateway drug.

I don't think I would recommend the MA6100 for a main system with large speakers. But for a second system, or in a small apartment, the MA6100 delivers.

A MA6100 was and can be again a excellent integrated amp....address grounds, recap, put new lower noise transistors in the phono section, and.....make sure the tone controls are aligned correctly. Plan on 5 to 6 hours of bench time TLC....

The 6100 is not a 2505 and a C26. However, I do agree with the post that says it sounds better than a Mc240 - as pretty much everything does.

I have owned probably five 6100s at one time or another. I never liked them as keepers. The 6200 on the other hand is much better (especially when used as a pre). I always thought the 5100 sounded better than a 6100. I still have a 5100. The volume pot has issues on the 6100 and Mc as of three years ago had them though not a direct replacement.

Expect to pay $650 for a nice one. I sold my last 6100 in July for around $500 but it was very mint, but had one bad channel. Chrome was new, glass was new. Better yet, take that money and buy a 2505 for not much more and save for the pre. Stay away from the 1900 receiver as well. I don't hold the 1900 in very high regard either.

In 1968 I had a choice between a 5100 and a JBL SA600. I took the JBL and loved it for 30 years. When I sold it (for a bigger amp), it was worth more than a gold bar. Couldn't say the same for the 5100.

I had a 6100 with the walnut cabinet that I bought in 1974. I sold it around four years ago for $350 basically because I rarely used it anymore. Overall, it was in very good condition, with some minor discoloration of the knobs and the volume pot was a little scratchy when you first turned it on. However, some quick turns of the knob got rid of the scratchiness. The buyer, who was a Mac fan, was very pleased when he saw and heard it.

Agreed with CountD - I also think the MA 6200 would be a significant step up from the 6100 - because of Power Guard, precision tracking volume control and electronic FET input selector instead of mechanical.

MA 6200 is about double the cost of 6100 though...

According to Berner's site Mac sold OVER 14,500 MA6100s, with good reason, they are great units. They are, however, 40 years old, and will need restoration. Once restored they are daily runners, not some collectors item.

Buy accordingly........

Thanks all for the feedback.
I have to decide between the MA6100 or a Marantz 2230 to keep, just no room for the both of them.

My 2nd option was to sell both and get a Fisher 500C. I know they are highly regarded.

I bought my 6100 in 1975 and have been listening to it every day since. Other than some age spots just like me, It has given me nothing but enjoyment. System number two is an Mx113 powering a Crown D150

I was given my MA 6100, about 4 yrs. ago, by a friend, who had been given it by a customer.
Since he isn`t in to high performance audio, but knows I am, he decided that I would have better use for it.

Of all the Mc gear I`ve owned in the past, or currently, this is my first Mc. integrated, & direct coupled (no autoformer) output stage amplifier.

After some minor work by me to replace one channel`s leaking output transistors, and checking over some work that had been done to it sometime in the past.
I checked it out to the factory specifications, then burned it in playing music for 24 hrs. on the bench, then rechecked specs. and installed it in my electronic repair shop to replace the Mc. C 33 preamp, and Crown D 150 power that I had been using for many yrs.

Well that MA 6100 sounds better than the separates it replaced, and it`s been running 24/7 since, & playing loud enough to be heard clearly in the adjoining kitchen with the door open so my caregiver/housekeeper, or myself has my all day WAV. ripped music to hear whilst in the kitchen.

Reactions: Sq1
Bill Ferris........... Spot On !

My MA6100 in the photo followed the Hudson Audio recap review to include a new Hayseed Hamfest can capacitor. Added pinball LED rings, LED strip to the "McIntosh" name, Red LED pinball strip to the red indicator, new glass, modified McIntosh knobs and upgraded endcaps.

Bottom Line: One of the most reliable units, sounds great, looks great with the modern looks and just enough power to run those old school speakers. Certainly can drive old school Klipsch speakers. There is a 250 watt subwoofer I had laying around (not shown) and with that added this unit is perfect and very versatile from Dianna Krall "Look of Love" to Steppinwolf "Born to be Wild". ROCK IT !

I don't think this unit has been turned off in the last 9 months. I use a power strip vs on/off knob. Along with my ADS L810, Sub, Small TV, Apple TV and a small powered center channel with equalizer this is my perfect listening system in my garage when I do my work. Note: The LEDs make this unit "Bright" as you can see the fonts in a room with FULL shop lights.

IMG_3738.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3739.JPG
    IMG_3739.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_3740.JPG
    IMG_3740.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 77
Hofvox - nice looking unit.

I am looking at purchasing a local 6100 that the glass is broken and probably will need servicing, who should I send it too?

Back
Top Bottom