McIntosh MAC6700 Stereo Receiver - Advice from owners...

Recently upgraded from a 30 yr old 5100 and MR67 to a 6700. Also went with XR100 and XR50's from older Paradigms. Ecstatic with the new sound. Delighted with the 6700. Power to spare. Highly recommend. Added MCD205 and MB50, but not loving MB50 yet. Audioengine B1 plays my entire library from Apple but the MB50 won't allow "rented" files to play. MB50 far superior sound to the B1 though. Will keep the 6700 for the next 30.

I purchased my 6700 about 18 months ago, after lusting over McIntosh since I first saw one 30 years ago. I can truly say it is one of my best purchases ever. I paired it with Martin Logan Montis speakers and it instantly and dramatically improved the quality of sound in my music room. I now spend an hour or so in this room every night. If you ammortize the cost of the system over that many hours over many years - it becomes very affordable! :) Bottom line, I am 100% happy with my decision and my only regret is that I didn't do it 10 years ago. I LOVE MY 6700.

While I do not have a Mac 6700, I do lust after one to replace my (perfectly working) Mac 4100.

I'm thinking about doing the same exact thing. Everyone I talk to says the 6700 would be a major upgrade. Now to just find a 6700 for a reasonable price...

Replaced a NAD 7400 bridged with a NAD 2400 for a MAC6700. Ohm model I speakers. The Macintosh brings in the warmth and clarity at a much lower volume than the NADs did. I traded in the NADs towards the cost of a new Music Hall MMF-5.3. Pretty simple system, but I'm content with what I hear.

I onw a MA6700 with Sonus Faber Olympica 3 and I cannot stop thinking about the MA8000 or the new MA9000. That is my only regret. The phono stage is quite good. The DAC not a state of the art.

I have a MAC6700 that I'm using along with a pair of Martin Logan Vantage ESLs. I must say that it is the finest sounding piece of gear that I have ever had between my turntable and speakers. Prior to this, I had a MA6300 integrated and it's not even close. I owned a couple of Krell integrated amps before the 6300 and pretty much each time it was a lateral move. Yes, it's huge, weighs quite a bit, and it's not cheap (at least by my standards), but man oh man, the power and the sound just knocks me out. I sold my MA6300 and MCD201 (SACD/CD) player in order to make the purchase and have not regretted it for one millisecond. Besides, I'm pretty much done with expensive/high end disc players as I have learned the hard way that none of them last. I plan on keeping this thing a LONG time.

I've got an MA5200 integrated amp which I love -- but now investigating a trade up to MAC6700 - mainly for the HD tuner capability. We've got a good classical HD service locally. The MA5200 was my first McIntosh product. It was an upgrade from a Yamaha A-S2000 amp. I can only say, "why did I wait so long."
Replying to my own message -- how tacky! Anyway ordered a MAC6700 today from Audio Classics -- found one with the TU2 FMHD card. Decided NOT to trade the MA5200. The MAC6700 will be installed into my main system, powering a pair of Klipsch Chorus II speakers. The key to the purchase decision was the TU2 HD tuner module with the unit. Not so many of those around. Audio Classics was great! The key to my decision was the recent purchase of an MR88 HD tuner (also from Audio Classics). It's a wonderful piece of gear. Can't wait for the MAC6700 to arrive. I'm working out to build necessary muscles to lift and install it.

You'd be hard pressed to find an issue with a McIntosh unless it required servicing or something, but I'm very happy with my MA9000! Does the MA6700 not meet your expectations?

I'm very happy with the MAC6700.

I was asking the question before I purchased the unit to see if there was any issues I should be aware of.

I've got an MA5200 integrated amp which I love -- but now investigating a trade up to MAC6700 - mainly for the HD tuner capability. We've got a good classical HD service locally. The MA5200 was my first McIntosh product. It was an upgrade from a Yamaha A-S2000 amp. I can only say, "why did I wait so long."
I did not trade up -- kept the MA5200 for my office but purchased a MAC6700 from Audio Classics for the main 2-channel system. It's very big and heavy, and sounds fantastic with my Klipsch Chorus II speakers. No buyer's remorse. Very pleased with the purchase and with the Service from Audio Classics (thanks Derek!).

Call out to all McIntosh MAC6700 owners...

I auditioned one of these and was very impressed. I like the build quality (built to last a lifetime), look, connection options and most of all the sound. Mind you, I was not too crazy about the McIntosh remote as it looks like a dated TV remote.

For all MAC6700 owners/users, are you still happy with your purchase?

Any regrets or issues?

What speakers are you using with the MAC6700?
I've purchased a second MAC6700 for my office. With TU2 tuner module. So you could correctly figure I'm happy with the unit.

Last edited:
I realize this thread is more than a year old now. However, I just purchased my FIRST MacIntosh, a pristine/cherry mint shape MAC 6700, it arrived today all in tact. I haven't hooked it up yet and it may be several weeks before the initiation night arrives as so much to do to get the upstairs music room situated and set up. All other units are in their boxes due to a recent move 1 year ago. The speakers it will drive are Polk 75 - T Cherry Monitor Series Speakers. I look forward to the adventure waiting ahead for me. I, like MacIntosh, was born in Binghampton New York, so it is all meant to be in my book.
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Mac I.jpg Mac II.jpg MAC III.jpg MAC IV.jpg

Last edited:
I realize this thread is more than a year old now. However, I just purchased my FIRST MacIntosh, a pristine/cherry mint shape MAC 6700, it arrived today all in tact. I haven't hooked it up yet and it may be several weeks before the initiation night arrives as so much to do to get the upstairs music room situated and set up. All other units are in their boxes due to a recent move 1 year ago. The speakers it will drive are Polk 75 - T Cherry Monitor Series Speakers. I look forward to the adventure waiting ahead for me. I, like MacIntosh, was born in Binghampton New York, so it is all meant to be in my book.
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

View attachment 1770440 View attachment 1770441 View attachment 1770442 View attachment 1770443
Well, you will be very happy with your purchase. I'm quite certain of that.

Back
Top Bottom