McIntosh MC-2155 Big Filter Caps Source

skynetyt

Might be someone can point to the source of 18000 uf 60v big power capacitors for MC-2155. The main issue to find one is dimensions, especially height - which is 69mm (diameter ~64mm ). Unfortunately i can not install higher caps because the unit will not fit into wood enclosure.

Thank you Mackie, will give them a call on monday. Hopefully they still have the caps in stock, since the amp is pretty old.

Most people will advice not to replace the big filter cap. I do agree but what the heck it is your $$$ and equipment so do as you want

Don't loose the washers between the cap and the chassis. Make sure mark the orientation before unscrew the terminals.

Thank you for your advice, i will take it into account. I`ll post here the results from McIntosh if they provide me some info regrading caps.

Hello
This is not necessary to replace them yet
your amplifier is not so old and you have to check them before thinking replacement
Too many people are doing "recap" in their unit with no reason . If it is working don't touch !
Capacitors replacement is OK if you are talking about MC2105, not yours, and the big cap are "long life" capacitors

Don't loose the washers between the cap and the chassis. Make sure mark the orientation before unscrew the terminals.
Assuming the capacitors are mounted the same as the 2120/2200 series, an easy way to check for proper orientation is to make sure the small rubber vent hole on the capacitor is showing through the third hole in the chassis.

Last edited:
Hello
This is not necessary to replace them yet
your amplifier is not so old and you have to check them before thinking replacement
Too many people are doing "recap" in their unit with no reason . If it is working don't touch !
Capacitors replacement is OK if you are talking about MC2105, not yours, and the big cap are "long life" capacitors
If the capacitors are really $25 each I would change them even if it wasn't needed and I had the chassis open. Most stud mounted computer grade capacitors are over $50 from electronic distributors.

I don't own this model amplifier but I'd love to know if that price was true.

IMG_20180604_152940_421.jpg

This is probably the 6th bad main filter cap I have come accross in a McIntosh amp, a MA6200 in this case, over the last 40 years.....

Monitoring the main supply to the 18 volt + DC regulator. Supply voltage has sagged to 24 volts from the expected 39. Amp is in full power guard at 10 watts.

Also had a interesting problem with improperly installed drain resistors for new main filter caps in a Pioneer SA9900 allowing oscillation which would trigger the protection circuit after about 15 minutes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom