Mcintosh MC 2205 meter problem- help

Dazku

8D41781A-A525-48A1-A8BC-DF1FB263B250.jpeg
Hello all, I’m new here as I’ve only recently started collecteing some vintage McIntosh components.
I own an MR 78 tuner and just picked up a C32 preamp and MC 2205 amp (they were going to throw them away!). All seem to function well and cleaned up nicely. The only problem is the right side meter on the 2205 shoots straight to full after power up. Both meters go to zero initially, then the right side shoots to 100% and subsequently does not work when fed signal (left side is fine).
I’m hoping this is not a serious issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I am now selling my Peachtree amp and preamp (in avatar pic) if anyone is interested.
Cheers all!

Last edited:
Welcome on AK

Without damaging anything , you can do this :

open the dust cover , switch the MC2205 off
locate the meter board inside behind the front panel on the left. Pull the pcb off the unit (pcb socket )
locate the 4 IC
you have on the left of the board (left channel IC's ) IC103 & 105 and IC104 & 106 on the right just in the midle of the board
delete the both right from socket (no soldering iron required) and put them in place of the left one's .
Please respect the way to insert the mark (point on pin 1 of IC's ) in the right way !
do the same with left IC who goes to the right channel socket
You will see if trouble is going to the left meter
If yes , buy two new IC and put the left back to their place and put the 2 new IC's to the right channel socket
I don't think that your trouble may come from the two last IC's on the right but you try to do the same

Welcome on AK

Without damaging anything , you can do this :

open the dust cover , switch the MC2205 off
locate the meter board inside behind the front panel on the left. Pull the pcb off the unit (pcb socket )
locate the 4 IC
you have on the left of the board (left channel IC's ) IC103 & 105 and IC104 & 106 on the right just in the midle of the board
delete the both right from socket (no soldering iron required) and put them in place of the left one's .
Please respect the way to insert the mark (point on pin 1 of IC's ) in the right way !
do the same with left IC who goes to the right channel socket
You will see if trouble is going to the left meter
If yes , buy two new IC and put the left back to their place and put the 2 new IC's to the right channel socket
I don't think that your trouble may come from the two last IC's on the right but you try to do the same

Hi CA,
Thanks for this info. So what you are saying essentially is cross patch the meters to see if the problem is the meter or the IC’s? I’m not that knowledgeable of these units but very handy. I’ll open it up and take a look and attempt to follow your directions!
If it is the IC, do you know a good supplier to order from? I’m in Canada but that doesn’t matter much these days.
Thanks again!!

Hello

come back with report of your result

Hi Clinic, I did open up the amp and took a look. But given the value of the unit, I am sceptical whether or not to proceed. I would appreciate a photo or visual reference if you can provide. If not, I’ll leave it to my Mac repair guy.
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom