McIntosh MC 2205 vs. MC 2200 Which is better sound?

pgkhorn

Hi, I have been a guest for only a little while but these threads are enlightening-you guys really know your Macs! I am getting back to 2 channel stereo sound after a 10 year derailment into home theatre 5.1 and contemplating purchasing either an MC 2205 or the MC2002--one being direct coupled. The 2002 is about 6 years newer than the 2205, Both have seen service in the last 5 years and are operating "fine" according to the two guys, no hum, buzzes, pops or clicks--just smooth "Mac Sound". So which should I purchase, sound quality, etc. ALL opinions are welcome--and MUCH appreciated, one and all. Another option is to wait for an MC 7200 to come along--I've wanted one since 1989 when I first heard one but could not afford it. Thanks Pete

Klipschorns, DIY MTM Towers and a sub. Marantz SR8500 and 5003CD player. Gave the LaScalas to a good friend a few years back now he enjoys them daily.

I think Pete had a typo in his title - his post obviously discusses the MC2002.

Pete, I've owned two of each amplifier. In my time with each, I could honestly not tell you which I preferred the sound of. McIntosh direct coupled designs certainly have their following, but don't allow the idea that the McIntosh autoformers could in some way color the sound, giving the edge to the direct coupled designs.

If I was deciding between the two, I'd likely choose the MC2205 for a few reasons:
1. The front panel layout is more appealing to me - that big square red power button on the MC2002 just looks so out of place . . .
2. I prefer the meter style (and operation) of the MC2205
3. I prefer the flexibility that the autoformers offer should I want to change up speakers

The MC2205 does have a weakness. Since it lacks 16 Ohm output taps, one cannot operate it into an 8 Ohm load when run in mono - so the idea of running a pair of them strapped to your K-Horns is really not ideal. And why would you ever want to do that? Why NOT!?! Later Mc amps solved this dilemma by allowing you to bridge the amps, as well as strap them.

Either way, report back as to what you decide.

Thanks Damacman for your reply. I have talked with Terry Dewick and Folks at Audio Classics both would be hard pressed to say which is better. The Klipschorns will use a fraction of either's power potential but I do dabble in DIY speakers--since I was in my teens. I also don't care for the red eye---so I will replace it with green or blue from my power switch collection when the time comes should I decide on the MC2002 :)
The MC 2205 is a great amp, evidenced by all those on this forum--not too many comments on the MC 2002 an amp that I was contemplating when I bought my first Adcom GFA-555 in the mid-1980s. I really would like an MC7200 but they seldom come up for sale maybe I should just wait it out. Thanks hopefully more comments will chime in before this weekend-- since BOTH friends need to sell their amps or list them on Ebay or Audiogon. They are upgrading one to an MA-7000 integrated the other MC352 or 452 not sure yet..... I'll let you know what I end up with! Pete

OK So I got a call from a guy who was selling his MC 7270 (a tip from my buddy's dealer--I think this guy is trying to sell a LOT of new stuff to my friends!!), now I talked with him about an hour today and he is looking to upgrade to Mac MC2000 or MC2200 (new all tube unit) and he was letting me know he could make a deal on his 7270 before he trades it in.....SO NOW I have 3 to choose from, MC2205 Autoformers, MC 7270 much newer with autoformers, or the MC2002 Direct coupled. Now I'm hoping for some opinions here--I have until this Sunday Nov. 18 to make up my mind on all 3 as which I'm going for. Also what would be a good price to pay for any in solid working condition, "Very Good" condition. Hope to hear from you guys!! Pete

I'd buy that MC7270 in a heartbeat and call it done. That may very well be the last amplifier you buy. I had four . . . sold them all . . . stupid, stupid, stupid . . .

Now there you go again raving about the MC7270, just when I had made my mind up to get a MC2300!! :D

Now there you go again raving about the MC7270, just when I had made my mind up to get a MC2300!! :D

FWIW - The MC2300 is my all time favorite McIntosh amp. Now, I've not owned a MC2600 (yet!), but I have two MC2300s currently. I could pine on for days about the MC2300s, but . . . you get the point. I've had more of them than any other Mc - maybe a dozen - and owned five at one time.

The OP didn't ask about MC2300s . . . lol . . .

Hi Thank you all who so far responded--much appreciated! OP -?? As for the MC7270, I have contacted him and left a message, do you think $1400 is a fair price for an excellent condition MC7270? Over the past year I've seen them go for as high as $2300 and as low as $1100 on ebay, he sent some pics and other than dust and fingerprints, this baby is excellent with one tiny scratch on top, no wood case-good! By the way I forgot to share--my older brother is a radio engineer and about 12 years ago a client owed him some cash, gave him a NIB--crate that is-- Either MC2300, MC2500, or MC2600 ( sorry, I don't remember which but it was silver upper 2/3 black lower 1/3 from panel.) NEVER EVEN TURNED ON. We unscrewed the crate and we put it in his office and we tested it out O-M-G!!! amazing, I was hooked. His wife hated it so he kept it in his office. He sold it a few years later with about a weeks worth of hours on it. Regretted it ever since. So he bought an MC352 and C41 (?) preamp combo two years ago from Audio Classics. He told me to just stop "testing out" all this high end stuff and by a MAC, you will be happy for the rest of your life. I've decided to take his advice and you guys as well. I will let you know which I decide on--leaning heavily on the 7270 now :) Pete

Both the MC2300 and MC2500 had faceplates offered like you describe, but only the MC2500 has Power Guard - which adds (4) LEDs to the right of the meters. Either way, that's a heck of a story.

$1400 is an excellent price on a well maintained MC7270.

Thanks damacman, the MC 7270 is "meticulously maintained" the owner said he about cried when it got returned from the authorized dealer checkup with the small 1/2 inch scratch on the top of the autoformer plate. He said the shop gave it a clean bill of health when he bought it about 1 1/2 years ago. He used it for the auxilliary system for his patio, his main system is much newer stuff and he's buying a MC7000 integrated. I'll let him know I'll accept the asking price. As far as my brothers system goes, he regrets selling it but he DID get an MC 352 so I think he made out OK! I have many Audio "find" stories....my brother's being a radio engineer has it's perks!! I'll keep you posted on my decision. DO you fell that the MAC shipping boxes I'll purchase will be enough to get it across the US safely? I told him I would do that. Hopefully he will return my call this weekend and I can get the ball rolling! Now for the right preamp......Take care, Pete

Pete,

The McIntosh shipping box is the only way to go. BE SURE the seller mounts the amp to the carton as it includes a wooden base and screws to do do (there are holes in the bottom of the amp designed to accept them for this very purpose). Once the wooden base is mounted to the amp, then it and the base fit into the inner carton, which in turn fits into the outer carton with heavy cardboard corner supports and bubble wrap between the two. If the amp is not mounted in the carton via this fashion, the faceplate will likely be broken in transit.

Oh boy can I attest to that.....

C32 shipped in McInstosh shipping carton...:thmbsp:
p1070844hx.jpg

MC2205 shipped in some generic double box
img0775t.jpg

Seriously, buy the shipping carton from McIntosh and have it shipped the way it should be, its heartbreaking seeing a Mac turn up looking like this....

Or, IF no shipping carton can be had, detach the faceplate and pack very well separately (another box with lots of bubble wrap preferably). I would take certain measures to also ensure the paint is protected so that it doesn't somehow chafe and bubble up.

Of course in the end a carton is still better :)

Hello everyone, I mentioned ordering a set of McIntosh boxes to him and he agreed to do so, it will add about $150 to the price but worth it to me for sure. BIG Fly in the ointment: The sales dude found a more local candidate to buy the MC7270, and they offered the owner more cash as well. Arrggghhhh!! What sale people won't do to sell new stuff!!!
SO I'll give it a day, if I don't hear from him tomorrow I would guess he sold it to the local buyer and I'll be back to the MC2205 or MC2002 decision. Take care, Pete

Kevzep, Wow your 2205 got beat up on its "world tour". I trust you got a new panel and it is as good as new again? Sellers/shippers just don't understand the forces involved with these heavy amps shifting during transit. Pete

Back
Top Bottom