McIntosh MC 2205 vs. MC 2200 Which is better sound?

The 2200 or the 2002? Different amps.

Between the 2205 and the 2200, choose 2205 because meters make everything sound better.

the it is just the meters. Sometimes i have trouble re,e,bering that far back what number went with what. The 105 channel , I liked the sound better than the 135 watt, but the 200 watts was the berries

I thunk I found a photo of my 2125 but nit the 2205

Attachments

• 030-27Mc2125.jpg
    030-27Mc2125.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 75
Kevzep, Wow your 2205 got beat up on its "world tour". I trust you got a new panel and it is as good as new again? Sellers/shippers just don't understand the forces involved with these heavy amps shifting during transit. Pete

It did get beat up alright.....You are right, as much as sellers will tell you they are packing it well, in reality, its just not worth the risk, you will not regret getting the McIntosh shipping carton, you will always have it, so when you move or you have to send it for a service or whatever, you have the piece of mind it will travel safe......
My MC2205 looks like this now....
p1070810t.jpg

That looks gorgeous! Even better without the plastic meter bezel! Clearly the Mac box is the way to go for me--Unless I drive to pick up one of the first two amps :)
Take care, Pete

That looks gorgeous! Even better without the plastic meter bezel! Clearly the Mac box is the way to go for me--Unless I drive to pick up one of the first two amps :)
Take care, Pete

Yes, nice clean look without the bezel for sure.......I have the bezel, but I like this look, and I put it to the forum, and yep, you guessed it, no bezel look won.....

Good luck with your Mac, let us know how you get on....

Wow, it would be great to own either one of these great amplifiers!! They both represent pinnacles for there eras, I actually don't have a favorite but if I win the Lottery-I would have them both of course ;)
It seems most of you folks on this thread currently own Autoformer output Macs. While I have received positive comments on the MC2002 no one replying still has one. The one I'm looking at is in very good + condition-better than the MC2205. I have offered to drive to pick either up or have the owners meet a relative in Ohio who is coming home for the holidays as an option.
I'll keep you posted, Pete

My experience with the two amps have mixed reviews. The 2200/2205 were warm and didn't control my bi-amped woofers very well at home. On the commercial scene I know of a dozen or so that are still running in the systems they were originally installed. Keeping the faithful happy during services. All the disco ones have been replaced or the clubs don't exist anymore. A much smaller number of 2002 were mostly installed in homes, if installed in commercial systems they took the back up roll to the 2255's, 7270, 2500's etc. They all had issues long before their autoformer companions, which I guess proves the validity of the autoformer in extending the lives of amplifiers. The 2002 was a well balanced sounding amp, but couldn't approach the 7200. They did not sell well, and and a few hung around quite a while. The 7200 was the first ultra low distortion medium power amp Mac built, and you could really hear the difference. Ultra clear highs above 7 khz with out all the fuzzies. But if a CD sounded bad it would really show thru and not be covered up. Nice controlled bass and its current capability really showed up the autoformer amps of the time. The 2002 not so much so, if even at all. It was just a nice sounding amp that brought good performance for not so much money. Don't take me wrong, if I wanted Mac amps and a pair of 2002 were at the right price, I would not hesitate.

The guy with the 7270 hasn't called me so I'm guessing that the other buyer has come through with the cash. He was in the middle of moving to a smaller home so perhaps it was just easier for him. He Ended up buying a MA7000 as he sold his C33 preamp 2 weeks ago. I'm thinking I should just be patient and wait for another MC7270 or MC7200 because truth be told if all four were sitting on a table, mint condition I would easily narrow it down to the 7270 and 7200, then it would get tough! Thanks for your input--I take it you have an MC7200 now in your system? Patience, that's what I always tell my son, perhaps I too need to practice that! Take care, Pete

Last edited by a moderator:
One more question for the group: I spoke with the guy selling his MC2205 and it does have an issue, the power guard lights do not ever light--even when initially powered on, volume maxed out into <82 dB/watt speakers---is this a problem or are the bulbs burned out? He's asking a fair amount and has purchased a new Mac Box to ship it out in but I'm concerned that it may need a pile of work. Thanks in advance for your replies, Pete

One more question for the group: I spoke with the guy selling his MC2205 and it does have an issue, the power guard lights do not ever light--even when initially powered on, volume maxed out into <82 dB/watt speakers---is this a problem or are the bulbs burned out? He's asking a fair amount and has purchased a new Mac Box to ship it out in but I'm concerned that it may need a pile of work. Thanks in advance for your replies, Pete

Probably the bulbs, many if the bulbs in mine were burned out........Its a safe bet to say that's what it is.....
Not a difficult job to replace. There is soldering involved though, I just replaced all the bulbs at the same time in mine, so I know where I'm at in terms of bulb life.

Oh yes, the speakers 82db per watt, not on the high efficiency list, but it depends how loud you listen and how big your room is.....

Looks like the panel lights are out, most likely the fusible link is broken...not on schematic but goes from brown secondary wires to one of the center lamps.

Looks like the panel lights are out, most likely the fusible link is broken...not on schematic but goes from brown secondary wires to one of the center lamps.

No the fusible link wasn't the problem in this case it was simply the bulbs, the powerguard bulbs were out too, along with the WATT indicator bulb.
At the time I took the picture I had replacements on the way.....
p1070828b.jpg

OK Kevzep, it sounds like there is nothing to worry abut then, Bulb replacement shouldn't be too hard. I've read that they are direct soldered. Perhaps this would be a good time to convert to LED Lamps as well? Your MC2205 is stunning! I think I will narrow my search to Autoformer Output Macs for the near future. I'm also wondering if I should just go through the entire amp and replace all the caps if this is the one I end up buying. Are the service manuals still available for these?--I would hope so, it is McIntosh after all.

AK member dgwojo sells long-life bulbs. Some have a 40,000+ hour MTBF, which is about the same as an LED and doesn't require anything additional like most LEDs. Straight plug (solder) & play.

OK Kevzep, it sounds like there is nothing to worry abut then, Bulb replacement shouldn't be too hard. I've read that they are direct soldered. Perhaps this would be a good time to convert to LED Lamps as well? Your MC2205 is stunning! I think I will narrow my search to Autoformer Output Macs for the near future. I'm also wondering if I should just go through the entire amp and replace all the caps if this is the one I end up buying. Are the service manuals still available for these?--I would hope so, it is McIntosh after all.

I have to say, I am very fond of my MC2205.......You can still get all the service information.
You are getting into something which was built to last and I believe the factory still support most of these older models to some degree....

I dont think you would regret getting into MC2205 at all, and if you decide you want something else you certainly wont lose money on it.....
AK member dgwojo sells long-life bulbs. Some have a 40,000+ hour MTBF, which is about the same as an LED and doesn't require anything additional like most LEDs. Straight plug (solder) & play.

My next port of call for bulbs for my C32......:thmbsp:

I wouldnt bother with LED's but thats just me, I believe you can get good mileage from incandescent lamps.

Believe all service manuals are available from McIntosh Parts or Audio Classics or the Database here on AK. Just ordered the MA6800 SM yesterday and the hard-copy (which I prefer) was $20 plus shipping.

Thanks to you both for the information on the manuals and the bulbs, much appreciated. And the kudos on the 2205, It is definitely on my short list for amps, and have to admit, Macs appear to be well documented, well supported, and parts plentiful I should have gone with the Mac months ago--I bought a used Aragon 4004 Mk2--a well respected amp mind you--the owner said the amp was in great shape. NOT. When I opened it up due to a channel cutting out, I found 2 of the PS Filter caps had leaked severely, corroding and eating up the PCB the 4 are mounted to--I found the "bleeder" resister NOT EVEN soldered to the board! Goo film everywhere--caps are proprietary and made of "unobtainium" so I have to make some mods to use standard replacements. If I had bought the Mac, I would have been listening to sweet music at this point. Now I will continue searching for the right one while I repair this. It sounded quite nice mind you for the few short hours it played....Happy Thanksgiving, Pete

Thanks to you both for the information on the manuals and the bulbs, much appreciated. And the kudos on the 2205, It is definitely on my short list for amps, and have to admit, Macs appear to be well documented, well supported, and parts plentiful I should have gone with the Mac months ago--I bought a used Aragon 4004 Mk2--a well respected amp mind you--the owner said the amp was in great shape. NOT. When I opened it up due to a channel cutting out, I found 2 of the PS Filter caps had leaked severely, corroding and eating up the PCB the 4 are mounted to--I found the "bleeder" resister NOT EVEN soldered to the board! Goo film everywhere--caps are proprietary and made of "unobtainium" so I have to make some mods to use standard replacements. If I had bought the Mac, I would have been listening to sweet music at this point. Now I will continue searching for the right one while I repair this. It sounded quite nice mind you for the few short hours it played....Happy Thanksgiving, Pete

wow, sounds like you would really benefit from a McIntosh after reading that......
Im sure we will be reading soon about your new acquisition very soon......:thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom