McIntosh MC126 any good?

Pablo2k

hi, I can’t find any reviews or information on the MC126.
My Nad M25 which I use as a 5 channel amp died and I need to replace it.
The M25 is 160x7 and the MC126 is 80x6
It looks like I would loose 3db on my B&W 683s front, htm61 and 684 rears; All Series 1.
A co worker is selling it to me for $800.
It’s seems like a good deal compared to eBay and other sites, but I just don’t know if is any good or just a low end Mcintosh amp.
Thank you.

More or less the MC126 can be seen as a later version of the MC7106 - with a little less power and no meters. Personally, I'm not really into meters and think the less LEDs the better for HT applications.

For $800 that's a good buy if it is in nice shape.

There's no such thing as a "low end" McIntosh.;)

Last edited:
Thank you for all the replies!
Actually we cut out a deal that if I give him:
$500 cash and camera equipment which would be worth on eBay about $1200 easy he would give me:
MC126 ( I need)
CR16 I use Alexa for multi room so I don’t need)
MX132 broken glass (no hdmi I can’t use)
MVP841 broken glass (dvd I don’t use any more)
Rel sub q400e (could use upstairs)
Kef 202c center channel (could use upstairs)
And JVC dla rs40u projector (needs lamp, but untested)
McIntosh told me $176 for each glass 6 months wait.
Should I do it?

275w into 8 ohms mono with 2 channels bridge if you later use for 2 channels.

I was told that I shouldn’t bridge because of my Bower and Wilkins 683 S1 could deep as low as 3ohms even though they are 8ohms rated.
This is what I was told.

More or less the MC126 can be seen as a later version of the MC7106 - with a little less power and no meters. Personally, I'm not really into meters and think the less LEDs the better for HT applications.

For $800 that's a good buy if it is in nice shape.

There's no such thing as a "low end" McIntosh.;)
Thank you for the replay.
Did you read my post? About the trading deal?
I don’t know if is a no brained or I’m just going to end up with things I can’t used trade or sale later on.
Thanks!!

I would recommend the 7106 if you are on a budget, too. I got my 206 at a great price That I used for my rear, side, and bi- amped center speaker originally. Its great sounding and is very quiet. I admit I use another 207 in its place now. The 206 now pushes remote speakers, and a pair of electrostatic head phones very very effectively. I installed 7106's driving almost every speaker Klipsch made from the Heritage series. They were a great match. Chorus and Forte's worked well, too. I don't remember using the amp with any CF series speakers. My son used 7106 with a MX 120 while his Nad amp was in the shop driving his RF-7 series etc and was very happy. But his Nad was paid for and still uses it to this day. NAD amps have a tradition of smoothness which is great for long term listening. The use of Power Guard gives the Macs the same capability with additional protection the NAD doesn't. One thing you have to remember about Mac amps is that they perform above and beyond. 2 channel amps 25 to 33% more power at a fraction of the rated distortion. Mono amps even more. HT amps 20 to 25% with all channels operating. Very few HT amps can maintain full power as additional channels are added to the front pair. The 207 at one time was the most powerful amp built on a single chassis capable pushing out almost 1750 watts total. A 206 close to 1350+ watts. I wish I had been able to keep the performance charts from Mac clinics. I know we tested 7106 and 126 amps, but I just can't remember what the total capable out puts were. My speakers are very sensitive to the generating impedance of amplifiers. The lower the better. Thats why I use HT amps for my Stereo speakers tri-amped with the center and rear bi-amped. Now I admit Macs current mono amps far exceed what the older 2000 and 7000 series amps could do with autoformers. But 7200, 7100, 7106, 7108 and 7104 didn't have those issues for me. I have just continued the tradition by using 207 and 206 amps. Besides where would I put 12 301's and 4 152's???? And look the money I saved by buying one of the 206 and 207 pre-owned

Last edited:
No matter what amp someone inquires about, the recommendations are always for the next model up. :(

Thank you for all the replies!
Actually we cut out a deal that if I give him:
$500 cash and camera equipment which would be worth on eBay about $1200 easy he would give me:
MC126 ( I need)
CR16 I use Alexa for multi room so I don’t need)
MX132 broken glass (no hdmi I can’t use)
MVP841 broken glass (dvd I don’t use any more)
Rel sub q400e (could use upstairs)
Kef 202c center channel (could use upstairs)
And JVC dla rs40u projector (needs lamp, but untested)
McIntosh told me $176 for each glass 6 months wait.
Should I do it?

If it were me, I would sell the camera equipment separately and see if I could get the NAD repaired. Once repaired you could continue using the NAD or you could sell that and buy something nicer.

well, we went through with the deal, I bring everything home...
I plug in the MC126, and it doesn't work!
All LEDs for each channel come on, and after about three seconds, everything shuts off.
Tried it by it self, with a signal, with speakers, remote, local.... tried everything and it didn't work.
Loaded the car back up and brought everything back to him.
For now i got three Crown amps (xti2 4002 and two xls1502s that will have to do the job until I get the Nad fixed.
Thank you for all the responses.

Back
Top Bottom