McIntosh MC2000 Bulb Replacement

ossidian

I recently obtained an MC2000 and the 4 bulbs on the front panel are in need of replacement. I have the face plate off and can see the 4 bulbs. Does anyone know how the bulbs come out?

Thank You.

Most Mc units of this era have bi-pin bulbs soldered into PCBs. If the bulb has a white base, this is the kind of bulb your amp uses. Also, the bulb will have a number printed on the base.

Can you tell us more?

Correct, little white bi pin bulb. I have 12 replacement bulbs. Damacman is correct as they are soldered in. Looks like I will be ordering a LED kit as I don't have the skill set to solder those bulbs.

Attachments

• bulb.jpg
    bulb.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
The MC-2000 uses several indicator lamps. Can you be a bit more specific where these lamps are and what they illuminate, i.e. Logo, Meter and Mode functions.

It should be noted that the LED Modification is not a Factory Authorized modification.

Mark
McIntosh Authorized Restoration & Warranty Service Facility
Phone: (952) 894-5580
Fax: (952) 456-4937
eMail: McIntosh@AbSoundLabs.Com

It is a kit (PC boards) which essentially replace all the OEM bulbs.

To the OP:
Please take some pics (front and back) of the kit before install and share with us.

The AC LED kit I installed in a c2300 was not as plug and play as you assume.

While I do not remember it involving any soldering it did invoke some complex disassembly to change the meter filters to get the correct color meters.

Certainly a local tech could solder in the lamps for a lot less than $350.00 even if you live in a very high Cost of Living region.

It will need some TLC when upgrade (swapping the PC board) to LEDs. But there should be no soldering. The filter must be replaced for the correction of the hue since the luminance of the LEDs are not the same as the incandescent.
It is heavy and the amp must be flipped over during the upgrade. You need an assistant.
An instruction will be included with the LED kit.

I installed an LED kit on my previous MC2102 last year, very straight forward and the kit does come with the filters. After discussion with Audio Classics the MC2000 kit the installation is very similar the MC2102. Interestingly enough the bulbs are not soldered in the MC2102. Decided to have tech solder in LED bulbs and ordered the MC2000 LED kit as a backup.
This amp is not very heavy (for me) but my Krell KSA 300S which weighs 185lbs., now that was a workout carrying up a flight of stairs and out to the truck for repair ;)

http://www.mikesastra.com/LED/MC2000LED.pdf

Last edited:
Anything more than 50 lbs is considered heavy and will be charged extra per Airline baggage policy (Spirit is 40 lbs):jump:

Pretty straight forward disassembly, removed meter housing (3 connectors-really easy) and then had tech solder in new bulbs. I then removed old filters (4 screws and 4 hex nuts) and replaced with new blue gel filters I got at a local stage lighting company.
I chose not to use led bulbs but did order the led kit as a backup in case I later wanted to go that route.

1). Remove knobs and felt washer by pulling towards you.
2). Remove the 6 large phillip screws located on the side of the amplifier face plate.
3). Pull face plate (GENTLY) towards you.
4). Pull straight UP (GENTLY) to remove gold meter trim.
5). Place a large towel folded to about 1 inch next to amplifier. Can use book also.
6). Gently turn amplifier to it's side resting the transformers on folded towel.
7). Remove the Phillips screws holding on the bottom cover of amplifier.
8). There are 3 connectors attached to meter face plate, gently remove them.
9). Turn amplifier back to it's upright position with a few spacers to rest under amplifier as to be able to provide space to remove faceplate.
10). Remove 4 phillip screws (2 screws on each side) on the meter case.
11). Gently remove meter assembly by pulling towards you.
12). Okay, now we have options: You can solder the bulbs in yourself or take the meter housing to a tech and have them done for very little money (my tech charged me $30 for bulbs and $35 for labor).

The 4 bulbs on front of meter housing for the nomenclature:

13). There are 4 bulbs on the front of the meter housing for nomenclature.
14). The 4 bulbs are attached to small pcb boards and fastened with phillip screws.
15). Remove the screws allowing access to remove old bulbs and replace new bulbs.

The 8 bulbs for the meters:

16). Behind each meter there is a white plastic housing that houses 4 bulbs and the meter filters (2 filters each).
17). To gain access to the 4 bulbs behind each meter simply and GENTLY remove the 2 plastic fasteners on top by pulling up on plastic fastener using a thin blade to wedge between fastener.
18). Remove old bulbs and install new ones (easier said than done for some like me - I had a professional solder them).

The meter filters:

19). The white plastic housing behind the meters (where 4 bulbs are located) also houses the blue filters.
20). To remove the blue filters simply remove the 4 small phillips screws attaching a small pcb board (GENTLY set pcb board aside).
21). Remove the 4 hex nuts that secure white plastic housing to meters.
22). Once 4 Phillips screws and 4 hex nuts have been removed you can remove filters, filters are hole punched. I used a whole punch on my new filters for exact fit by just matching up holes on old filters.
23). The white plastic housing that holds 4 bulbs (each meter) will be pretty dirty inside (mine sure was) and should be cleaned.
24). Cut 4 new gel filters (obtained mine from local theatre lighting company), used old filters as templates.
25). Old filters are held in place using hole punch, use old filters as template to punch holes in new filters for proper fit.
26). Install your new filters by lining up with hold punch.
27). Attach the 4 hex nuts to secure the white plastic meter housing the bulbs.
28). Attach the 4 small phillip screws that secure the small pcb board to the white plastic meter housing.

Assembly:

29). Attach meter housing to amplifier using the 4 phillip screws.
30). Gently turn amplifier back on its side using the folded towel as a wedge against the transformers.
31). Re-attach the 3 connectors from the meter assembly to the amplifier.
32). Install the bottom cover.
33). Gently turn amplifier upright.
34). Gently install gold meter trim.
35). Gently install faceplate, felt washers and knobs.
36). ENJOY!

Attachments

• IMG_0530.jpg
    IMG_0530.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0532.jpg
    IMG_0532.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0534.jpg
    IMG_0534.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0536.jpg