McIntosh mc2255 faceplate installation

handyguy

Hi,
Wondering if anyone has intalled the faceplate on a mc2255 and remembers the orientation of the two side brackets? They can be installed with either bracket being inner or outer relative to each other. My photo show the bracket that holds the glass being inner relative to the bracket that screws to the upper and lower extrusions. This makes the bracket relatively tight against the glass, but is it too tight?
Thanks for any assistance,
Barry

Attachments

• faceplate brackets.JPG
    faceplate brackets.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 55
You might want to have the Moderator move this thread to the McIntosh forum here at AK. Not all the really knowledgeable Mac guys find their way here.

Cheers,

David

I am gonna say that it is the opposite way I have it in the photo. Photos of mc2255 faceplate fronts show the edge brackets flush with the top and bottom extrusions, however this way, they are inset a bit.
I am also gonna say the mac glass faceplate is a rube goldberg device just waiting to flake, crack and otherwise fail. It does looks good when all is perfect, though!

I am also gonna say the mac glass faceplate is a rube goldberg device just waiting to flake, crack and otherwise fail.

Hey.. never thought of it like that but you have a point.:rflmao:

There are serious issues with materials [tape and adhesive] in these era panels that deteriorate very ungracefully, compounded by heat issues.

-Greg

I changed a bunch of glass over 40 years, but never a 2255. But I will say this the fit is always very tight on any Mac unit that I dealt with. If not you are doing something wrong. Those panloc buttons were always a bit bothersome. On a few pieces I used a drop of lubricant the size of a straight pin head to help things along.

Back
Top Bottom