McIntosh mc2kw owners what are your impressions?

Harvestor

Addicted Member
Are there any mc2kw owners who can tell me what their impressions are and what loudspeakers are in use with these amps?

8000 watts of dynamic Headroom is most impressive .

It would be nice to have 7 of these in a home theater.

But just two of them for stereo would be a dream fulfilled Listening to any genre music but I am most curious with music that delivers the lowest of frequencies and literally shakes the foundations but what loudspeaker set up can handle this kind of wattage at 8000 watt Dynamic power ?

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=Amplifiers&ProductId=MC2KW

Just stunning attention to detail any of you Audiophile's or enthusiast must see this quick little video from McIntosh just the attention to detail with the switching of incoming signals is unparalleled in the industry.. and the trouble to keep dust out of the contacts that McIntosh has gone through... Holy cow wow is this impressive!

Just curious. Does it run on 110v or do you need to run the 220v line from your electric range to the listening room? My 1600w hair dryer is about as high as I can go on one line.

Not aware of any Mc2kW owners here. Any installation sporting pair of these beasts needs to have dedicated electrical service.

A stereo pair of MC2KW needs 6 outlets. Each of the 6 modules need to be plugged in.
If each of the six modules requires the same amount of current I suppose you could connect three of them to each side of your single phase input.

The next model will need three phase AC like an arc welder.

It would be nice to have 7
You'd probably need to upgrade your service (electric) and reinforce your floors.)
You'd also probably need riggers or at least some pretty stout movers. Impressive rack (strength)

Certainly a worthy cause to aspire too:D
I suspect 2 would be more than enough for me
(And extremely unlikely that's ever going to happen)
I mentally have drawn the line at not getting any more gear I can't move myself (I'm thinking 150lb per piece max and I'm not getting any younger:oops:)
Then there's the nice car worth of Money I don't have for them:dunno::yikes:.

If someone local gets a pair (or more), I'd love to come over for a listen:thumbsup:

Not an owner here but they appear to be just the thing if you live in an airplane hangar.
With suitable acoustical treatments, of course. This one needs some carpeting, etc.

8k0K1GF.png

According to the manual, dedicated electric service is mandatory with the MC2kW so it's not an amplifier most users will be able to casually upgrade to.

I've heard them at Audio Classics and at McIntosh Lab. In both systems they powered a pair of...surprise surprise...the McIntosh XR2KW. Sounded alright I suppose but I wasn't exactly bowled over as this was polar opposite to my expectations.

According to the manual, dedicated electric service is mandatory with the MC2kW so it's not an amplifier most users will be able to casually upgrade to.

I've heard them at Audio Classics and at McIntosh Lab. In both systems they powered a pair of...surprise surprise...the McIntosh XR2KW. Sounded alright I suppose but I wasn't exactly bowled over as this was polar opposite to my expectations.

Expectation bias can be a nasty thing :(

Ivan (Master Lu) is the only owner that I know of. I have also heard them driving XRT2k speakers - at the Barrett Jackson auto auction of all places. They were playing some jazz that I'd never listen to in a million years. I was like - how's 5:15 sound on those? They did not oblige which was too bad as every guy in there would have flocked to the booth to hear them.

L&M used to have them on display in Scottsdale.

The MC2KW is a Ron Evans designed amp as is MC2205 and MC2301. I read the MC1000 is his favorite solid state amp he designed. That should say a lot about MC2KW voicing more towards a tube sound.

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2017...fier-review-digging-into-your-vinyl-grooves/‬

As for speakers the new XRT2,1KW or MC2KW with 2000 WPC rating would take them. I had a discussion with a gentleman that used MC2KW’s on his XR290s which are rated for 1200 WPC but hebnever pushed them. The Roger Russell line array poly switch design practice is to dump excess power to high wattage incandescent bulbs once the poly switches increase resistance i.e. shut down drivers and soak up power to save voice coils. I suspect Mcintosh later speaker designs would follow suit from that playbook.

Last edited:
Are there any mc2kw owners who can tell me what their impressions are and what loudspeakers are in use with these amps?

But just two of them for stereo would be a dream fulfilled Listening to any genre music but I am most curious with music that delivers the lowest of frequencies and literally shakes the foundations but what loudspeaker set up can handle this kind of wattage at 8000 watt Dynamic power ?

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=Amplifiers&ProductId=

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=Amplifiers&ProductId=MC2KW

Hi ,I got a pair of MC2KW , everything else is Mcintosh too , even the XRT 2KW. Before that Krell and Infinity IRS. I'm very pleased with them. I got 2 16amp puses with 230 V as powersuply. I live in Sweden ,regards Bengt

I've listened to those 2K's @ Audio Classics, myself.
I didn't have a firm impression of them, because they were running pretty much at Idle.
I'll ask if I can have a real audition the next time I am there. (If the place is empty, anyway) :)

Back
Top Bottom